Why become a member? ×

Sitting down or standing up?

RickyV

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1469481187' post='3098750']
I could never see myself standing up in the front room with a Fender Precision strapped on. I would feel such a pillock! :(
[/quote]

Why? If youre alone and there's no-one to see you..? :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1469481187' post='3098750']
Always sitting down, although its a bit difficult on a leather recliner chair not to keep hitting the neck on the arms. I could never see myself standing up in the front room with a Fender Precision strapped on. I would feel such a pillock! :(
[/quote]

Don't use a Precision then! :)

Practice in the same way as you are going to play. Therefore if it's a standing up gig, practice standing up. If it''s a sitting down gig practice sitting down.

Setting your strap length so that bass is at the same height sitting or standing only works if you find that height comfortable for playing. I certainly don't, plus I'm so short that if I practiced that way the bass would be just under my chin!

IME for rock music playing sitting down for most people sucks all the life out of the performance whether it's on stage or in the studio.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1469459109' post='3098462'] how would you rehearse your dance moves if you were playing sat down?! Doesn't make any sense [/quote]

When ya got em.... ya got em, if you have to practice em..... weeeeeeell ..you know..... you aint got em. :D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469480051' post='3098731']

[/quote]

Dad33 you might consider finding a pic of a 63 year old playing in a rock band from a sitting position at a 4 hour bar gig with sciatica.

IMO theses pics are irrelevant to my post.

Nice try though. 😁

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1469459085' post='3098461']
Habitually on my feet

Sitting down to learn bits but when it comes to actually playing it through... Get up and get jiggy with it 😁
[/quote]
Exactly ! :)

I don't get the 'same strap length sitting down as standing' view?
Optimal posture and access to the notes you need to play are king surely? A position where you can keep your wrists as straight as possible and play with the least effort.

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469480633' post='3098743']

What's good enough for Jack Casady is good enough for me.
[/quote]Don't you play drums? ;)

Danny Thompson, got to dig out Pentangle later on. Today is going to be a good day.

Edited by Phil Starr

Sitting or standing?

It depends upon why you are practicing. We probably all know but don't always put into practice (see what I did there) the idea that practice should always be for a reason. You'd do different things if you were working on a scale exercise/new song/working out a bassline from the repetition of something you already 'know' to get it up to gig standard.

I'd say that once you've got the song down and you are polishing it up to gig standard then you need to start playing it standing. I tend to do this stage at something approaching gig volumes and practice my moves too, sort of air guitar with a real bass. Just hope my wife doesn't get back whilst I'm posing :)

At home it's nearly always sitting down (unless I'm using midi pedals), in band rehearsals and public performances it is always standing up. Never had much of an issue swapping between the two. I've got short legs though, not sure if it makes a difference posture wise?

I went to rehearsal last night with the intention of standing up as I usually do, but my back was caning (long term problem), so I spent the evening sitting down on the leather sofa that is conveniently next to the bass amp in the studio. <_<

But I have to say though, despite the fact I always practise at home sitting, I don't find it too hard to readjust to playing standing up providing I spend a little time on the day of the gig running through a few songs at home standing. :)

Edited by thebrig

I like my strap adjusted so the bass is the same height whether I'm sitting or standing.

However I'm playing more guitar these days and I like it to hang a little lower. I do notice a difference between sitting or standing so I need to get in the habit of practising standing up up more often.

Sitting or standing, using a pick or fingers whilst plugged in to a D Class or valve amp using horizontal or vertically aligned speakers, having trouble deciding between 4 or 5 strings wondering if passive or active is the way forward - and what about this maple fretboard? I need to go lie down!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1469526635' post='3098959']
Sitting or standing, using a pick or fingers whilst plugged in to a D Class or valve amp using horizontal or vertically aligned speakers, having trouble deciding between 4 or 5 strings wondering if passive or active is the way forward - and what about this maple fretboard? I need to go lie down!
[/quote]

:D I hear ya !! However, if we did not discuss such things, there would be no need for Basschat or other such forums.

Enjoy your snooze. :P

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1469527835' post='3098973']
:D I hear ya !! However, if we did not discuss such things, there would be no need for Basschat or other such forums.

Enjoy your snooze. :P
[/quote]

Oh YES to discussion! For sure, that's why BassChat is here. Love it!

Maybe I should have said I was going for a 'sit down' he he!!

Edited by dood

I always practice sitting down. If I stand up I can`t catch myself in the hall mirror throwing some serious shapes :blush:

But in the studio I always stand up. Well until I get fed up with the guitarist messing around with his amp settings for the 50th time, get bored then sit down.

I had a bad motorcycle crash in 2001, including several broken ribs and a punctured lung. The soft tissue damage around the lower part of my right shoulderblade means that I can't generally stand for more than 30 minutes or so without severe pain, so to avoid the risk, I practice and rehearse sitting down. For gigs, a high stool is one of my most essential pieces of equipment. If my back starts getting a bit dodgy, I'll sit down during slower numbers - always try to be standing for the rockier stuff though, and of course I have to stand to go walkabout in the audience.

I allways practice at home and rehearse with my band sitting down. Once the song is learned i play it a couple of times standing up as i use the bass a bit lower - it's the position where i feel more comfortable and don't stress my arms, i'm not a tall guy - and because of that there's some difference in left hand angle aproach to the neck. For me it's enough to spend 3 to 4 hours a gig playing standing up, i don't need to hurt my back more practising in the same position.
There are some songs that i know from the start that they'll need some standing up practice (fast lines and note changes from one end of the board to the other) but it's easy to adjust from sitting to standing.

On another related issue, i learn songs and do rehearsalls with my eyes closed most of the times but play live with them open. I find that it helps my muscle memory to play without constantly looking at the neck and if i find a dark stage i won't be struggling to fing the correct notes. It's also good to be looking at the audience and very occasionally "sing*" some chorus.

I've played live both sitting and standing, i don't think that a band needs to allways be standing up, it's all related to the type of gig/venue/situation, sometimes is better (visually) to have the band sitting down, it creates a more intimate setting.

[b][size=2](*) Important note, i'm the bass player, so i can't carry a tune even if my life depended on it![/size][/b]