Why become a member? ×

Prince dies age 57

bluesparky

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1461314153' post='3033515']
Although I was never particularly a big fan of his music, the guy was an unquestionably huge talent.
Wrote a lot of songs for other artists too, and a wide range of artists at that.... He liked to not give record companies or the music industry much control, and I admire that, and the way he did everything himself and kept control over his work

The past 4 or 5 months have seen the demise of so much talent, it's unbelievable :(

RIP Prince

EDIT: I've this morning heard a radio report saying he had around a hundred albums worth of unreleased material - Staggering!
[/quote]

Yup - the infamous vault. Contains loads of unreleased full blown music videos too. I'm hoping that he was planing for them to be released post his death... I think the world wants to know what was in the vault.

There is talk of said vault on this video (it's in the last five mins) - but this video is worth 30 minutes of anybody's time if you are interested in Prince.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1461314153' post='3033515']
Although I was never particularly a big fan of his music, the guy was an unquestionably huge talent.
Wrote a lot of songs for other artists too, and a wide range of artists at that....
[/quote]

I'd forgotten that, he wrote Eternal Flame for The Bangles, which really is just a perfect pop song

Edited by Graham

Absolutely killer musician and song writer. Oh, performer, artist, etc. The list goes on. Very rare do we see someone who literally nails everything about music so well and so cool.

My uncle, who is now in his 40s, absolutely loved Prince and still does. I can see him being absolutely gutted about this.

I know very little about Prince and his music, which is a shame. Bowie is much more my type of music and songwriter, but both oozed talent and cool.

I think losing these musicians so closely seems so odd because it literally is legends all passing on in short spaces of time. We aren't talking men or women in their final years when we might expect it or might feel they have led a long life. Bowie and Prince were both taken way way way too young.

I am still getting to grips with the fact Bowie is gone. The way he just bowed out with that final album of pure genius...wow.

The other strange part of this is that I don't feel we have any talent to that level now. If it is there, it has been unfortunately ignored a little because music is saturated with average people (and there is nothing wrong with average people!) and we don't seem to have any truly stand out performers who the world respects. In fact, I'm still trying to think of some.

The Stones? McCartney? Iggy Pop?

Perhaps the next generation of legends might be led by someone like Dave Grohl who again seems to be able to turn most rock music into pure gold, especially when drumming.

Ah, that makes more sense. Someone just mentioned it at work via their social media and my first reaction was 'Thought he was dead' (mainly as Apr 14 is my birthday and it rang a bell) but the guy seemed adamant. As you were folks...

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1461318892' post='3033598']
The Stones? McCartney? Iggy Pop?
[/quote]

Stevie Wonder would be a big 1 off the top of my head!

Though I haven't really given Prince a proper listen before, just haven't gotten round to it more than anything, I do feel a sense of loss almost as if the world is a little less colourful now as I knew what a talent he was from other peoples admiration of him.
57 is definitely too young for an artist of his calibre! :(

A pub I gig at now and again has reworked their menu as a tribute:

The lamb koftas in a wrap are now Prince Of Persia
The Southern fried chicken brioche is When Doves Fry
The shared platter is Party Like It's ...£19.99
The 12oz rump steak is The Most Beautiful Grill In The World
and the vegetarian special is Little Red Courgette

:D

Does it matter as to the cause of his passing? All that matters is that yet another huge musical landmark has been removed from the landscape.
The extremely sad part is that, with all the big names we've lost recently, there are no new true talents filling the void that's left.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1461331969' post='3033782']
Does it matter as to the cause of his passing? All that matters is that yet another huge musical landmark has been removed from the landscape.
The extremely sad part is that, with all the big names we've lost recently, there are no new true talents filling the void that's left.
[/quote]
Well yes, it does kind of matter to me. I prefer my hero's to go clean.

I also feel it matters how they died.
As if it's death due to taking risks like that then it's kinda there own daft fault. And I'm not saying this in a bad way at all.

57 is too young to go but not if your smashing the life out of yourself. Still a sad loss. But it affects how others will morn you.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1461331969' post='3033782']
[/quote]

+100

The moral argument is (as usual) irrelevant. I wish he was still with us, and I don't care what he chose to take or not. Btw, I suspect might have to do with painkillers that he could have taken to be able to perform at the Atlanta gig, which would be utter professionalism.

Edited by juliusmonk

I doubt very much that Prince was into drugs in any way. It goes against everything he was about and I don't think he could have sustained the incredible level, creativity and length of musical performance he produced live or in the studio, if he was living with drugs....certainly not in his 50s anyway.

Just read this - On Saturday, the day after he was released from the hospital, Prince took the stage at a dance party near his home and curiously said, "Wait a few days before you waste any prayers."

Painkillers in the US are way stronger than in the UK, I know first hand after extremely painful surgery there. Highly addictive, massive highs and as serious as class A's. Maybe he knew the damage but was struggling, like millions of others do.

:(

As far as I'm aware Prince was always staunchly anti drugs.
If he'd been ill, as looks like the case, & was on prescription medication it could have been an accident.
Let's not go jumping to any moralistic, judgemental conclusions just yet, eh?