A pub I gig at now and again has reworked their menu as a tribute:

The lamb koftas in a wrap are now Prince Of Persia
The Southern fried chicken brioche is When Doves Fry
The shared platter is Party Like It's ...£19.99
The 12oz rump steak is The Most Beautiful Grill In The World
and the vegetarian special is Little Red Courgette

:D
[/quote]
Washed down with a pint of Purple Reign, launched yesterday by Greene King to celebrate Brenda's 90th. Great timing, couldn't happen to a nicer brewery!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1461342607' post='3033899']
What was going on with him to be wanting to take painkillers in the first place?
[/quote]

Didn't he have pretty serious hip problems? Sure I read that somewhere.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1461327024' post='3033706']
A pub I gig at now and again has reworked their menu as a tribute:

The lamb koftas in a wrap are now Prince Of Persia
The Southern fried chicken brioche is When Doves Fry
The shared platter is Party Like It's ...£19.99
The 12oz rump steak is The Most Beautiful Grill In The World
and the vegetarian special is Little Red Courgette

:D
[/quote]
Brilliant :lol:

Playing in a covers band we tend to be able to turn our hand at most songs, it seems over the past few years songs have been thrown in to our set because of the demise of a band member or artist. Gary Moore got the treatment, myself and guitard being big fans, White Room for Jack Bruce, more recently Lets Dance for Bowie. These songs now actually form a big part in our set list, they are great songs irrespective of the sentiment of playing them in the first place. Unfortunately we don't know any Victoria Wood (wow, what a shock that was) but we do Purple Rain occasionally anyway, tonight we'll also do Nothing Compares, a fairly easy song to play, our singer is a big Prince and Sinead fan so I know she'll nail it unrehearsed, well her and hubby guitard will have rehearsed in their front room we'll just add the backing! Sad sad times, whatever the outcome to his demise (let's not get all tabloid speculating eh!!) a truly massive loss to the industry and a massive personal loss to his family, friends and fans!
Life is short, live it!!!

RIP Prince :-(

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1461342870' post='3033902']
Didn't he have pretty serious hip problems? Sure I read that somewhere.
[/quote]

Apparently yes, and also apparently wouldn't have hip replacements as that would have entailed a blood transfusion and as a Jehovah's Witness, he wouldn't have that.

He had ankle problems too, according to the Mail. He did have hip surgery but presumably not to an extent that would have required a transfusion. He must have been in a huge amount of pain and yet he still pushed himself. It sounds all too familiar given the road Michael Jackson went down with his own health issues and painkillers.

BTW: Card carrying Prince fanatic here. Not for his stadium concerts which are relatively structured but for very much the less formal, improvised stuff that was seen at after show parties and (unfortunately) on bootlegs. A taste of it is on the Live at Aladdin and Y2K DVD's.

Seeing him at the Indigo in 2007 after the main concert was life changing. He was arranging songs on the fly in his head while performing them at the same time and cueing the rest of the band. At one point he went around to the keyboardist and showed him how to play a specific phrase, then jumped on the drums...it was jaw dropping and awe inspiring in every sense of the word. He totally owned that stage and the 1300 of us in the audience.

I didn't get him until I saw him in concert. Sad loss, so talented, he could do it all.

The BBC repeated a great documentary on his career, in case anyone missed it

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0177bjb/black-music-legends-of-the-1980s-2-prince-a-purple-reign"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...-a-purple-reign[/url]

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1461342302' post='3033891']
Clearly he was murdered by the illuminati... according to many YouTube sources. They seem very passionate about it so it must be true. They're whitewashing his autopsy as we speak!
[/quote]

Conspiracy theories are abound.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10153574606173443&id=706923442&set=a.189905468442.126841.706923442&source=48&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6276865576761697830%3Amf_story_key.-763504390794570277&__tn__=E

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1461386706' post='3034192']
Sad sad times, whatever the outcome to his demise (let's not get all tabloid speculating eh!!) a truly massive loss to the industry and a massive personal loss to his family, friends and fans!
Life is short, live it!!!

RIP Prince :-(
[/quote]

Well said!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1461419187' post='3034481']
He had ankle problems too, according to the Mail. He did have hip surgery but presumably not to an extent that would have required a transfusion. He must have been in a huge amount of pain and yet he still pushed himself. It sounds all too familiar given the road Michael Jackson went down with his own health issues and painkillers.

BTW: Card carrying Prince fanatic here. Not for his stadium concerts which are relatively structured but for very much the less formal, improvised stuff that was seen at after show parties and (unfortunately) on bootlegs. A taste of it is on the Live at Aladdin and Y2K DVD's.

Seeing him at the Indigo in 2007 after the main concert was life changing. He was arranging songs on the fly in his head while performing them at the same time and cueing the rest of the band. At one point he went around to the keyboardist and showed him how to play a specific phrase, then jumped on the drums...it was jaw dropping and awe inspiring in every sense of the word. He totally owned that stage and the 1300 of us in the audience.
[/quote]

Interesting post Steve; given what you've said about the ankle problems as well as the hip problems, then it's more understandable as to why his last tour was just him sat a a piano.

My best mate was also at one of those after-show Indigo gigs and also said it was unbelievable!

Big part of my life , saw him twice live bloody brilliant !

When my kids were younger and first had mp3 players I put Princes greatest hits , the Beatles No1's and some Steely Dan on there for them ,what more could they possibly need !

Found this which I had never seen before , showing the man at one with his music and fans , the way he throws a Rufus and Chaka Chan track in there as well is great !

[url="http://youtu.be/VPwm6YHmlFU"]http://youtu.be/VPwm6YHmlFU[/url]

Edited by plumbob