Why become a member? ×

Prince dies age 57

bluesparky

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]As well as feeling for Prince's nearest are dearest I feel so sad for my friend Simon Farmer of [/size][/font][/color][url="https://www.facebook.com/gusguitars/?hc_location=ufi"]Gus Guitars[/url][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]. He had just given Prince a guitar he made for him several years ago and only just managed to get it to him (it cost Simon about £9,000 to make). There's a photo of Prince playing it recently and he had commissioned a bass from Simon as well. This was Simon's big break (or not :([/size][/font][/color]

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1461261578' post='3033113']
I'm still getting over Bowie, absolutely gutted at this news.
[/quote]

+1

My thoughts exactly..

Saw him twice in the 80s and his shows were spectacular!

After seeing the 'LoveSexy' tour in 1988, he was so brilliant on every level - musician /writer/performer/producer/choreographer etc - it actually made me want to give up because I thought he'd set the bar so high there was no point even trying to get close.

Purple Rain is still one of my all-time favourite records... and the Sign 'o The Times concert DVD one of my favourite concerts to watch.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461264930' post='3033170']
I'm devastated.

One of the few that could take something from inside his head, share it and put millions in a great state of mind.

Huge loss.

Rest In Power Prince

Blue
[/quote]

Well said Blue. The truth.

Never a massive fan, but as many have said, he was a spectacularly gifted musician & composer.

This year's death toll's getting harder & harder to get my head around. I would not wish death on anybody - but with so many monumental bastards in the world, why does it seem that only people of true value are being taken? :(

Jon.

Even if you don't like his music, you have to admire his talent. This was a guy who had a studio engineer on a retainer for the frequent bursts of creativity he had, when he'd want to record regardless of the time of day or night. There are allegedly hours of complete recordings that he's accumulated over the years but which have never been heard outside of Paisley Park. He genuinely lived for and through music.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461264930' post='3033170']
I'm devastated.

One of the few that could take something from inside his head, share it and put millions in a great state of mind.

Huge loss.

Rest In Power Prince

Blue
[/quote]

Blue nails it.

I think I only said this yesterday but, another one gone. WTF is happening?

The credits on his early albums say it all about the man's incredible talent: "All songs produced, arranged, composed and performed by Prince".
I'm utterly knocked for six by this. His music is a large part of the soundtrack to my younger days... seeing Purple Rain at the flicks several times, buying the vinyl album and taping it for the car and then wearing that tape out... listening to Dirty Mind in my bedroom at home and hoping my mum wouldn't be able to hear what the lyrics were... watching Lovesexy 88 on the telly, openmouthed at the spectacle of it all. I never had a chance to see that spectacle for myself -- always hoped I would one day, but now it's gone forever.
Heartbroken.

I am so devastated that I genuinely hope it's just another one of his tricks and that he will resurface in ten years, after releasing all of the vault. It will sound childish but, unconsciously, it always felt like Bowie and Prince were immortal. I am so not prepared for this.

Although I was never particularly a big fan of his music, the guy was an unquestionably huge talent.
Wrote a lot of songs for other artists too, and a wide range of artists at that.... He liked to not give record companies or the music industry much control, and I admire that, and the way he did everything himself and kept control over his work

The past 4 or 5 months have seen the demise of so much talent, it's unbelievable :(

RIP Prince

EDIT: I've this morning heard a radio report saying he had around a hundred albums worth of unreleased material - Staggering!

Edited by Marc S