Why become a member? ×

Shallow or Chunky necks, what's your preference

Guest MoJo

I've always gone for slender, Fender Jazz type necks, but I recently played a Vintage V4 Tony Bulter signature model which had a chunky neck (deep rather than wide) neck. Although it was noticably thicker than my BB414, it didn't feel uncomfortable and didn't hinder my playing. Is there anyone who prefers a thick, chunky neck (half a baseball bat)?

Edited by MoJo

My playing isn't at a level where the neck makes a [i]huge[/i] different to me; I'm quite comfortable (or more like blissfully ignorant!) no matter what the neck profile is :)

That said, if pushed I'd probably say that I prefer thin (as in shallow) necks rather than chunky, with very little radius (i.e. flat). That combination seems to feel most comfortable to me, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Slim, even though I've got pretty big hands, I just find it that much more comfortable when everything's within effortless reach.

I also like muting the e string with my thumb over the neck (more comfortable on a slimmer neck), which I used to think was a bad/lazy habit, until I saw Stu Hamm doing it on an intstructional video. I now think of it as 'advanced technique'.

Edited by Cato

Slim all the way. I prefer a neck that is shallow front to back, and narrower string spacing. I prefer Jazz in a fender and can comfortable play a stingray 5, but find it uncomfortable to play a precision or a jazz 5 with 19mm spacing.
I tried an upright in a store once and played it for about 10 seconds! But I do have tiny hands!!!

I don't have a problem with any profile, or a preference really... it doesn't take long to get used to a change. I find tight string spacing a bit of an issue, but other than that I can swap between neck profiles and not really notice the difference.

Edited by CamdenRob

As others, not bothered by chunky or slim necks I will happily play either, but give me a bass with a sharp edge where the fretboard meets the neck and it will be out the door in no time (for some reason every Fender 50's Classic P Bass I have played other than the one in my avatar seems to have had that sharp edge yet the Roadworn's don't)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459777115' post='3019474']
Preference for chunky necks here. Not too thin please, and by thin I mean overall mass. I can deal with the narrow nut if there's a decent chunk of wood back to front.
[/quote]

Same Here. My '75 jazz is a standard 1.5" nut but is nice and deep front to back ('U' shape I believe) and sits in my hand really nicely..

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459777115' post='3019474']
Preference for chunky necks here. Not too thin please, and by thin I mean overall mass. I can deal with the narrow nut if there's a decent chunk of wood back to front.
[/quote]

Same for me.

I can cope with thick or thin really, but I think a big thick handful of a neck actually sounds better than a dead skinny one.

Within reason obviously.

But I don't really get on with wide (rather than thick) necks - those early 50s P bass fretboards are too much of a stretch for me.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1459785734' post='3019606']
Yeah, I'm really not bothered about the width of a neck (ie string spacing) but in terms of how thick they are - I can't stand anything too thin - I find it makes my hand cramp up after 30 minutes or so!
[/quote]

I think this is what I'm finding with my recently acquired TRBX504. The neck is one of the shallowest I've played on and I don't feel as comfortable on it as I do on the deeper BB414 neck

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459775190' post='3019440']
Six months on upright and they all feel small.
[/quote]

You could go hug a tree and itd still feel like a Geddy Lee Jazz after playing some uprights!

Cap well and truly doffed.