Why become a member? ×

Introducing The Band

Hobbayne

After our final number, our singer introduces the band one by one starting with the drummer who plays a groove followed by me with the bassline, and then the guitarists before launching into our final number.
Does anyone else introduce their band members in a quirky way?

Our singist does something similar too, halfway through last number, cue excuse for mad w***ery by guitarists and a bloody drum solo....I just stop playing altogether and listen to the bottom fall out of the song, then kick into the groove again with a smug smile :) I hate soloing!!!!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

I don't mind as long as I'm not called upon to play a 'solo'. If I know in advance that something like this is coming, I plan ahead by working out what well-known riff from another song I can fit in, e.g. for a mid-tempo shuffle I play the start and main riff of Deep Purple's 'Black Night'.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1459010079' post='3012843']
It's a toe curling moment for me, whether I'm a part of the audience or as a band member. I just hate it. :angry:
[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459011667' post='3012864']
Yep, total cliched cheese fest.
[/quote]yep I'm with these 2, hate it, it's even worse when it leads to a drum solo and a bass solo

See my other thread about frontman.

The vocalist doesn't do it but the guitarist will gradually introduce the band throughout the night.

There are songs that feature instruments and he'll just acknowledge us at the end of the relevant song.

I think it works well.

For us, it depends on the gig. If the audience are really engaging with us we will do it during one of the last songs, but if it's a quiet one we don't bother. It's cheesy but sometimes the audience really like it.

Jas

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1459017127' post='3012939']
I get introduced as "Frank the Fingers" which made me cringe in embarrassment at first. Now I just laugh at myself and play along with the fun.

Frank.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if "Frank the Fingers" is the name of a notorious pickpocket, or a dodgy bloke who hangs around playgrounds. Or both... ;)

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1459010113' post='3012845']
....I just stop playing altogether and listen to the bottom fall out of the song, then kick into the groove again with a smug smile :) I hate soloing!!!!
[/quote]

That's an awesome idea !

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1459009476' post='3012832']
After our final number, our singer introduces the band one by one starting with the drummer who plays a groove followed by me with the bassline, and then the guitarists before launching into our final number.
Does anyone else introduce their band members in a quirky way?
[/quote]

I think it's ok,and a good habit. We do it, our front person is really good at it. On the other hand ,at the bar level you have to be careful or it can come off as pretentious.

Blue

We only ever did it once in my last band, at the end of our very last gig, I was actually very humbled by the reaction I got, but I think doing it every gig would have been tiresome and not needed, we werent famous so who needs to know who we are and as for soloing after introductions........give over.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1459014552' post='3012905']
I was in a band once and the leader would say I'd like to introduce the band'. And we'd all shake hands with each other with a 'hi'.
[/quote]
[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1459030972' post='3013088']
One singer would regularly introduce me by saying "He played with Joe Cocker for many years", which was a total lie.
[/quote]

I like both of these and have blatentley stole them for the next gig :D