Why become a member? ×

Introducing The Band

Hobbayne

There's a clip of my last band on YouTube where, when I'm introduced, I respond with some unlikely, super-fast and totally random run that sounds like Stanley Clarke on speed.

The singer, rightly gobsmacked, says 'where the hell did that come from?' And continues by getting the keyboardist's name utterly wrong...

Our singer announces us at the end of whole lotta rosie, our last song, while we are pumping out on the final A. First drums, with a wild fill, then me on bass so I hold my bass vertically and push through the A string with my thumb to play just one note and giving the thumbs up to the audience. No solos for me. Then it's the guitar so he enhances the outro solo he is playing over the A. The singer then says his name, our name and goodnight. We then hit the last note. It's not long and works well over the final piece of the song.

Shameless plug but go to our band's lemonrock site, link below in my sig, and play our cover of Rosie to see how we do it.

Edited by mep

I suppose it's a way of filling in if there's a spot of equipment trouble, it worked at a Quo reunion gig, something went wrong with an amp or something and Rossi said "on bass Alan Lancaster and on drums John Coughlin" now that did work

We used to do it when playing Hall & Oates', I Can't Go For That, as that would start with a drum groove, followed by me and everyone joining one at a time after that; it sort of made sense. However, we haven't been playing that song, so haven't done any 'meet the band' shenanigans unless someone has had a particularly up front performance in a particular song. I think the band intro is a nice thing to do as it is a moment for the audience to appreciate particular members of the band who might not otherwise get any recognition, particularly the rhythm section (unless they sing lead vox as well).

We do "Born to be wild" near the end of the set and Mrs Zero just briefly introduces us over the outro solo, no extra soloing for us.

The vocalist of the club band I was in used to introduce us. One evening he said "I'd like to introduce you to [b]my[/b] band". We all exchanged glances and looked daggers at him.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1459076192' post='3013281']

The vocalist of the club band I was in used to introduce us. One evening he said "I'd like to introduce you to [b]my[/b] band". We all exchanged glances and looked daggers at him.
[/quote]that's singers for you, always makes me smile when we do one of our songs, if he wrote the lyrics (just the lyrics) he says "and here's a song I wrote" if he had nothing to do with it he says "here's a song we wrote" but as I've said before if he wasn't like that he'd wouldn't be the front man he is

We do it during the quiet end section of Cowboy Song - introduce the guitarists who then play the harmony riff, the drummer who plays a couple of bars of fills and they I get introduced and I play a couple of bars of runs over the harmony guitars and back to the track - job done!

Edited by DaytonaRik

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459074739' post='3013267']
I can't stand it. If you are an unknown band then no-one gives a f*** and if you're not then everyone already knows who you are anyway.
[/quote]

I don't agree. It's all part of breaking down the us and them divide. IMO it's very important to get the audience to be your friends.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459093228' post='3013482']
It must be a sad life for those people who hate watching a band that basically does ANYTHING different to theirs.
[/quote]

I used to watch bands with quite a critical eye. It took me quite a while to work out why bands that were essentially very poor musically did so well.

Now I just enjoy whatever they're presenting. It is what it is. Entertainment.

Bass solos at ANY place in a performance I find excruciatingly embarrassingly dire.
Regardless of who is playing them, but especially if it is me (having been coerced into it, usually by some knobhead singer)
Happily, I am temporarily the singist in my current band for a few months, so none of that shenanigans right now!

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1459094073' post='3013487']

I used to watch bands with quite a critical eye. It took me quite a while to work out why bands that were essentially very poor musically did so well.

Now I just enjoy whatever they're presenting. It is what it is. Entertainment.
[/quote]

Many folks on this site appear to be of the opinion that the band could be great musically but once a music stand comes out, or the singer has the nerve to give the band members a mention, the guitarist has more than one guitar, the bassist has more than 4 strings, singer has the words on an ipad grab hidden discreetly etc etc etc then they are rubbish!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1459091068' post='3013461']

I don't agree. It's all part of breaking down the us and them divide. IMO it's very important to get the audience to be your friends.
[/quote]
Maybe if you're a covers band but definitely not originals. I thrive off that it's us and them attitude.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1459013704' post='3012895']
See my other thread about frontman.

The vocalist doesn't do it but the guitarist will gradually introduce the band throughout the night.

There are songs that feature instruments and he'll just acknowledge us at the end of the relevant song.

I think it works well.
[/quote] Best way imho! Eg after a sax solo "that was a lovely solo from so and so "

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1459039607' post='3013130']
We only ever did it once in my last band, at the end of our very last gig, I was actually very humbled by the reaction I got, but I think doing it every gig would have been tiresome and not needed, we werent famous so who needs to know who we are and as for soloing after introductions........give over.
[/quote]

That's what I was getting at. If your not famous it's kind of lame.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1459100704' post='3013552']
Bass solos at ANY place in a performance I find excruciatingly embarrassingly dire.
Regardless of who is playing them, but especially if it is me (having been coerced into it, usually by some knobhead singer)
Happily, I am temporarily the singist in my current band for a few months, so none of that shenanigans right now!
[/quote]

Bass solos in jazz on the upright is cool and where it should end.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1459091068' post='3013461']

[/quote]

I agree, but not at the bar/pub band level.

Blue

Edited by blue

We never did it as youngsters in an originals band thinking back, always have in covers bands but probably not at weddings or functions unless we end up with a sort of pub gig vibe with the audience getting involved, when doing session type stuff playing for an artist they have always thanked whoever has consisted of that nights band.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1459116568' post='3013701']
Maybe if you're a covers band but definitely not originals. I thrive off that it's us and them attitude.
[/quote]

When I saw The 'Oo at the NIA a couple of years ago, Roger Daltrey did the band introduction bit. Perhaps you should put them right.