Why become a member? ×

Introducing The Band

Hobbayne

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459101542' post='3013564']
Many folks on this site appear to be of the opinion that the band could be great musically but once a music stand comes out, or the singer has the nerve to give the band members a mention, the guitarist has more than one guitar, the bassist has more than 4 strings, singer has the words on an ipad grab hidden discreetly etc etc etc then they are rubbish!
[/quote]

Yep, there's certainly a bit of this goes on. Perhaps it's natural on something like this to think you/your band is doing it right regardless of what works for another player/band.

Mega cringe. I did a pub gig once with a wicked drummer, who has played many tours with a world famous artist, who folded his arms and sat there in silent protest when he got his 'solo'. It was all very playful and done in jest, and the crowd enjoyed it more than they would have a drum solo most probably!

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1459190694' post='3014315']
Mega cringe. I did a pub gig once with a wicked drummer, who has played many tours with a world famous artist, who folded his arms and sat there in silent protest when he got his 'solo'. It was all very playful and done in jest, and the crowd enjoyed it more than they would have a drum solo most probably!
[/quote]

As I say. It's all about entertainment. It's about selling yourself as a band. It might suit your band and your audience, it might not. Ultimately it's down to the frontman to manage how you sell yourselves. Once the show starts, you're in his hands and you have to follow his lead.

We don`t do it, we`re not big enough for a general audience to care about. Those that do have an interest will look us up. Besides, at most of the gigs we play, irrespective of where, we see many of the same faces so we`ve got to know them, at least on speaking terms already.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1459189677' post='3014298']
The Who were relevant 50 years ago. Not today.
[/quote]

It's good to know that you're the arbiter of relevance. I don't know where I'd be without you.

We do, but only 2 or 3 bars each, normally in the middle of Walking By Myself. Nothing too silly, just a little walking blues line. To date it has gone down well with those watching, but our front man is good with a crowd.

We do our band intros during a break-it-down in the middle of Cold Sweat. Singer introduces us one by one, we each do a tiny 5 second solo-ette. For my 'solo' I play the same groove, but slapped with a few popped accents -- I hate groove-busting. I then introduce the singer ("the lady with the platinum tonsils") and it's really helping me to practice *talking* while playing. Singing+playing is easy, but I've always found talking well nigh impossible.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459324899' post='3015375']
We all have an individual walk-on like on the darts... :mellow:
[/quote]can't see the point :lol:, that's not good, does someone introduce you over the PA at the same time? it has happened to us but only in a shambolic way, (by accident)

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1459332726' post='3015468']
can't see the point :lol:, that's not good, does someone introduce you over the PA at the same time? it has happened to us but only in a shambolic way, (by accident)
[/quote]

Yes we all have our own music and costumes etc. I wear a cape and fangs and come on to the monster mash throwing out plastic bats etc into the crowd... goes down a treat at the dog and duck.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1459332726' post='3015468']
can't see the point :lol:, that's not good, does someone introduce you over the PA at the same time? it has happened to us but only in a shambolic way, (by accident)
[/quote]

Depends on the setting. If it's a big show and part of it, I'd guess it's great. If it's in front of one man and his dog in a pub, it could have the opposite effect. Unless it's done ironically with humour.

A truthful version would be great...

"That's Andy on drums. His girlfriend comes to every gig and we all hate watching them neck on in the corner... That's Dave on bass, he's sound enough but his bass faces are awful and he never smiles... That's Mark on guitar. He noodles between every song and never learns the songs for rehearsals and I'm Mick. I think because I'm a singer I don't have to bother with load-in and head straight to the bar at every gig, meaning I end up steaming and forgetting the words that I never got right in the first place. This one is called Superstition! Good night!"

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459333097' post='3015472']
Yes we all have our own music and costumes etc. I wear a cape and fangs and come on to the monster mash throwing out plastic bats etc into the crowd... goes down a treat at the dog and duck.
[/quote]right, I get it now, we've got a song where the crowd throws plastic ducks at us, that goes down well

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1459010113' post='3012845']
Our singist does something similar too, halfway through last number, cue excuse for mad w***ery by guitarists and a bloody drum solo....I just stop playing altogether and listen to the bottom fall out of the song, then kick into the groove again with a smug smile :) I hate soloing!!!!
[/quote]
that

can be a cool and clear way to show what a bass does, without showing off :)

It can be done in a non pretentious fun way at pub / bar level , but only if the crowd are really on your side.

We don't plan it in , but sometimes the singer does it during solos or breakdowns, or at other times, but I don't think it should be contrived.

Pretty much the limit of our singer's interaction with the audience* is for him to say "bag of d***s" at some point between songs.

Well, he is an Aussie, and I'd probably say that it's a fair introduction for the various, ahem, members of the band!

* An exaggeration, but not by much. ;)