Why become a member? ×

Introducing The Band

Hobbayne

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1459355291' post='3015756']
It can be done in a non pretentious fun way at pub / bar level , but only if the crowd are really on your side.

We don't plan it in , but sometimes the singer does it during solos or breakdowns, or at other times, but I don't think it should be contrived.
[/quote]

You know what?

Of course there are exceptions. But my take at the end of the day ;

If your not famous, save the introductions.It's not required.

Blue

Our singer does it only very occasionally, with a home crowd, usually near the end of a certain cover... an obscure and lovely Neil Young song that's become something else, the way we do it.

So we stay on the turnaround while he gets it done, break down section, really soft, and the cool thing is, as it's going round, nobody does a single thing different. Not one slap, lick, roll, twiddle, or parp.

Best band I've ever been in.

Edited by KK Jale

Should mix it up a bit...not all in the same numnber..,depends if the lead can determine the best moments to
do them...and do them well..
otherwise, script it..but that wears pretty thin if people see you 3 months later and remember the band doing the exact same thing.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1459364322' post='3015886']
We don't do it often, but when we do the singer invariably introduces me as "the best bass player in his price range".
[/quote]
Similar vein: one of the callers we use with the ceilidh band introduces us (and I guess most bands) as "the best of the cheap ones".

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1459454479' post='3016857']

But if you are famous then it's hardly necessary.
[/quote]

Good point!

It's official, band member introductions are no longer allowed.

Blue

Edited by blue

Maybe we should give out programmes at the front door then.

In every branch of entertainment the performers get a credit for the part they play.

Why not the members of the band?

I even get thanked for running the sound in AmDram productions.

What is wrong with saying the guy playing bass for you all night is called Tim? They don't need my resume or CV.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459383693' post='3016113']

You know what?

Of course there are exceptions. But my take at the end of the day ;

If your not famous, save the introductions.It's not required.

Blue
[/quote]

Our band is quite tongue in cheek , we play a lot of the cheesey 80s hits, we dress up in clothes of the time and give people a nostalgic evening without the "only this genre is cool" thing that existed at the time . Any indroductions are done in the same spirit , so I might get mine when pretending to be john Taylor during a bass break. It really works when the crowd are with you. It's not trying to be famous , it's a laugh / act . Perhaps it's a culture thing, we can take the Mick out of ourselves

I can't stand it. If anyone ever introduces me during a song I respond by playing a barrage of wrong notes a la Les Dawson.

However Chris Stapleton did a great band introduction at his recent o2 gig. He sang the intros over the start to Tennessee Whiskey while he tuned his guitar...ending with a simple..."and my name's Chris."