Why become a member? ×

Boxes / bags, how do you get your stuff to the gig

Woodinblack

Once again I am sorting out this mountain of leads that fitted in a small bag, which now seems to require a small bag and another bag and a case, all of which make it really hard to find the leads I want when I get to a gig, without pulling everything out and searching through in bad light.

How does everyone else get all their effects / power leads / guitar leads / speaker leads / patch cables / microphone leads to a gig in a nice orderly and easy to find fashion?

I have a holdall with seperate compartments, so everything that`s needed for the gig goes in the main area, any spares/possible extras go in the additional compartments. When we`re touring later on this year I`ll have a seperate padded bag for extras of everything including leads, a small amp head, and tools/strings etc, and just have all of my gigging set-up in a hard-case.

Mostly in the gig bag pocket. Each lead has identifying features:

- two identical power cables are long and orange
- XLR lead is very short and orange.
- two identical guitar leads are thin and black
- one speaker lead is thick and black
-Pedal board power lead is in the separate pedal board bag.

They are always coiled neatly and held in place with a cable tie, which makes things easier

Edited by Roland Rock

Large holdall - speaker leads rolled on plastic drums (usually four)
All my speaker leads are 10m, so no confusion...
sound connection stuff in Bag for Life inside above
mic ditto.
Mains leads either inside amp hard-case, or yet another Bag for Life.
Small tools, spare jacks etc in a little ali hard case from B&Q.
Did this for years, the key (imo) is 'separation' (& making sure you repack properly).

:)

Edited by taunton-hobbit

All my personal stuff goes into the bass case, including a folding stand.

I run PA for the band. Leads go (all cable tied) into canvas bags, one type per bag. (mains, kettle leads, mic, jack) Seems messy but the soft canvas bags pack into all the odd spaces in the car you can't fit hard cases into and I just gather up the bags so it's a one hand carry.

The bags are cheap too http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ladders+%26+Storage/d110/Tool+Bags/sd3241/Canvas+Tool+Bag/p66762

Bearing in mind I go by train, if not all the way then at least part of the way.

Two cables coiled and in the one pocket of my gig bag. My music goes in the other pouch.

PJB double 4 in its gig bag on my trolley. I've started using an Aguilar tone hammer pre, that fits in the double 4's gig bag where the power supply should go. I keep the power supply in the front pouch of the double 4's bag.

Stool folded up and also on the trolley, along with my music stand and my mini Hercules guitar stand.

Bass bag goes on my back.

That's me set for pretty much any gig.

You are all so much more organised than me

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1454760081' post='2972679']
I tend to just tip everything out onto the floor and cry while I wished I'd bothered to coil everything nicely last time I packed down.
[/quote]

Ok, maybe not all!

A multi pocket laptop bag. One pocket carries guitar leads all coiled and velcro`d, plus mic leads the same.
Next pocket has two vocal mics and pedals if it is a guitar gig rather than bass.
Third pocket has the toolkit, tuner, spare strings and the medical mishap kit of surgical tape, plasters, etc.
If I am doing PA as well, a large zipped nylon shopping bag holds all the necessary leads, again all coiled and velcro`d.
My Dynacord PA head goes in another zipped nylon shopping bag. Speakers are a one-hand lift with built in plastic covers that double up as monitor stands AND carrying handles.
A posh zipped keyboard bag carries the speaker stands, mic stands and a music stand.

And of course the Markbass goes in *another* shopping bag. Biggest bit of kit is my 2x10 neo speaker.
So, 1200 watt PA 500 watt bass rig and all the trimmings go in the back of my Mondeo estate with room for three passengers if need be. "travelling liiiiight, traveling light.."

Leads, cables and power supply in a holdall along with my small pedalboard, itself in a zip up soft case. If I'm not using the pedalboard I just take the tuning pedal (including battery) plus leads and cables and stuff it all in the gigbag - jobs a good 'un.

I run the band PA and lights as well as my own bass rig so I have a volvo estate's worth of stuff. I've tried the one-big-bag-with-everything-in-it approach but it was a two-man lift and I was always one of the men. So now I have lots of smaller cases. More trips but fewer hernias....

Small suitcase with instrument and XLR cables
Maplins aluminium case with G30 wireless and my Zoom B3 plus spare batteries, PSU
Brown holdall with mains leads and speaker leads
Laptop bag with bass amp and music
Gator case with 4-way power blocks, extension leads, collapsible guitar stand, tools, fuses, various connectors and gaffa tape

I like the idea of using old cable drums to hold speaker cables - must try and blag some next time I pass Maplins

Oh, and leads are all coiled and velcro'd. Even so, some git comes along and knots them between gigs so that they ALWAYS tangle when I unfasten the Velcro. And I have watched the how-to-coil-a-lead videos on YouTube. The evil pixies still do their knitting with them though....

Edited by Skinnyman

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1454810605' post='2973230']
I own an igig. I just put everything in the whole world in the front pocket. That leaves all the other pockets spare!
:)
[/quote]

I just looked up igig cases. I've never seen one before, great looking gig bags !

A small cheap hard case for my bass leads and mic
Two large cheap sports bags for the lights
A padded case for my multi effects pedal
The lighting stands in a bag
My combo in a cover
All of them light enough to lift one-handed. Lots of trips but doesn't kill my back!

I've just recently gone the large rack mount box route so pretty much everything i need is inside the covers already assembled

aside from that i have a large yellow tool bag affair which contains a toolbox for emergency repairs and assortment of leads n stuff

gig bags or hard cases depending on the venue

Edited by steve-bbb

I usually end up bringing the PA(which is my own) for the band. I use a Stanley mobile work centre; the bottom section for the velcro - tied xlr's and the top section for the velcro tied kettle leads. A spare collection of various connectors are stored in a small bag in the top section.

Mics are in a seperate Maplins case, each mic surrounded by bubble wrap. Mic stands are in an On-Stage mic stand bag purpose made for the job. Speaker stands are again in stand bags.

Next job is to buy xlr leads of different colours to make it easy to quickly identify what is going where in the gig situation i.e. red for monitor channel one, yellow for channel two, blue for FOH

I've already wasted far too much time sorting out spaghetti bundles of xlr cable on one gig, only to have to do the whole job over again at the next one