Why become a member? ×

The nice guys of rock ‘n’ roll

anaxcrosswords

They do exist. After buying tickets to see Simple Plan in Manchester I wanted to upgrade to VIP tickets so my daughter and her friend could meet the band, but the tickets site wasn’t giving me the right links. Via Twitter, the band’s drummer gave me all the info I needed.
That personal touch is great – is it rare? Have you had beyond-the-call-of-duty help from the ‘stars’?

Billy Bragg came close. I ordered two signed copies of his book "A Lover Sings" before Christmas. There was a shortage and a lady from his shop rang apologising and offering to send unsigned ones direct from the printer by courier to be guarantee delivery. I said that timing was relatively unimportant and would prefer to wait for signed copies. She thanked me and said that Bill would write dedications as I was being understanding.
I got both books with appropriate names and signatures and they still arrived before Christmas. That sort of service suggests to me that making money is secondary to customer service.

A friend of mine seems to be very good at approaching bands after their set and chatting to them - she reports that Saint Jude were very friendly, as was Marcus Bonfanti (who played guitar with them for a while).

I've not met many myself, but I do remember blues guitar virtuoso Matt Schofield being friendly and quite patient when I tried to discuss Albert Collins with him but mostly just looked like a squeeing fangirl trapped in a hairy bloke's body!

BB King was a legend. Young and starry eye'd we waited outside the stage door after a gig he did in Bristol. When he came out with his 9 piece band + wives and girlfriends he stopped and asked what we were doing. When we said we were waiting to meet him he got us onto his tour bus with coffees and teas, sat us down, introduced us to the band and entourage, signed loads of photos, gave us other stuff. We had to make our excuses and leave in the end. He was in no hurry.

I worked on making video shows from pop/chart stuff to what was heavy metal during the 80's and early 90's we had musical guest's in from whatever was happening (selling) musically at the time... From Ozzy to Madonna, :)
The only pains in the arse I remember clearly was Sting and Terrance Trent Derby and a few of the one hit wonders .
Of course I only saw them on a professional level, but most seemed fairly down to earth and happy with their lot.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1454756727' post='2972627']
BB King was a legend. Young and starry eye'd we waited outside the stage door after a gig he did in Bristol. When he came out with his 9 piece band + wives and girlfriends he stopped and asked what we were doing. When we said we were waiting to meet him he got us onto his tour bus with coffees and teas, sat us down, introduced us to the band and entourage, signed loads of photos, gave us other stuff. We had to make our excuses and leave in the end. He was in no hurry.
[/quote]

Great story

Friends of mine know members of UB40 so we regularly get back stage...everybody in the band very friendly but I once met Robert Palmer (not our own Bilbo, who's an absolute diamond) at UB40 Play the Blues at Birmingham City FC's ground - he must have taken a sack full of coke cos he was right up himself...

I've met a number of Celebs, including JK from Jamiriquai - top fella with a great sense of humour. The fellas from Hayseed Dixie ([i]good ole southern boys[/i]) were very friendly when we bumped into them after their St Albans gig...

I`ve met Charlie Harper of The UK Subs a few times, at both gigs where we`ve supported them, and just when I`ve gone to see them. He mingles in the audience, mans the merch stall, and chats with everyone, a really nice guy. Bear in mind this is a guy who has been doing this for 40 odd years, and is 70+. He`s a real credit to our industry, an example to any bands/individuals with over-inflated opinions of themselves. Unfortunately those individuals would probably see the way he is as being wrong, but no-one hassles him, you don`t see people plaguiing him, purely because he comes across as one of us. And all of The UK Subs are the same, no airs or graces on these guys.

I`ve played with some other bands who stay in the dressing room, don`t really talk to anyone, and have their security around them at all times, fair play, if that`s the way they want to behave that`s up to them, but I should add up until now, I`ve not met anyone in named/pro bands on the punk scene who has been rude or unpleasant to me.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1454966234' post='2974711']
Andy Cairns is often described as the nicest bloke in rock, as he's very down to earth and friendly. Dave Ball from Soft Cell took the time to explain to me how to get the synth sound on "Youth" which I was most pleased about.
[/quote]
Met Andy in Leeds last year - lovely guy. Looking forward to 3 March when they're next in town

Ted Nugent bought my whole band and hangers-on a round of drinks once, there were probably about 30 of us, but he was after our pianist's girlfriend.

She was classy, she spurned Ted Nugent. She married our pianist in the end, they're still together, he's a great guy and a great pianist. And a way better musician than f***ing Ted Nugent.

More positively Mike D (Beastie Boys) offered us all sorts of help. We had the same management at the time and he'd heard our demo and faxed our manager offering use of their studio while they were on tour, loans of their gear, whatever we needed. We never took him up on it because we'd just done a big cycle of recording but he was super decent despite having never met us.

Didn't offer to sign us to Grand Royal though, that rat bastard.

Fella I know is a big Rod Stewart fan, his wife even more so. Goes to see him whenever the occasion arises, including one time when they were on holiday in Australia, got tickets to see him at Sydney Opera House. As a treat for is wife's 65th birthday he booked a meal at The Ivy restaurant, where a lot of celebs dine, in Soho before going to a show. At a table the other side of the restaurant sat Rod Stewart, who at one point got up and headed for the lavs. My mate followed him in and collared him - terrible thing to do and he could have got chucked out of the place as it is specifically mentioned as not allowed. Explained that he was a huge fan, thanked him for making such good music (yuck), how much he enjoyed the show in Sydney etc. Surprisingly Rod took all this quite well and seemed friendly enough. So my mate decided to push his luck and said 'it is my wife's 65th birthday, it would make her day if you could wish her a happy birthday'. Rod asked what table he was on, then they both left the lavs. Sure enough, 10 mins later Rod Stewart came over to his table, said 'I understand it is your birthday today - I hope you have a lovely evening' took his wife's hand and kissed the back of it.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1454966234' post='2974711']
Andy Cairns is often described as the nicest bloke in rock, as he's very down to earth and friendly. Dave Ball from Soft Cell took the time to explain to me how to get the synth sound on "Youth" which I was most pleased about.
[/quote]

Funny, I came on to this thread to suggest all the current line up of Therapy?, Michael and Neil are also great. The vast majority of bands I worked with were pretty decent human beings once you broke the ice with them, but these guys were in a league of their own.

I worked in record retail for years and we'd often have the dreaded "in store". There were some lovely people in amongst the egomaniacs...Mark King was lovely as was Jim Kerr. Birmingham's own Roy Wood is a real gentleman. The vastly underrated Nils Lofgren was sweet and humble and I enjoyed a really geeky conversation with him about record production. Adam West however, is as mad as a box of frogs...

Edited by rushbo

Just to add a ’gal’…

I used to work as a music journo and by far my favourite celeb encounter was Bjork. Mad as a bag of otters but equally down to earth and thoroughly lovely. Had plenty of time to chat and wasn’t afraid to share lots of personal insights.

I met her again after a performance and she was amidst a load of fans, sharing banter, signing stuff, and again being delightfully bonkers. Top lass and a rare example of the ‘stage persona’ being [i]bona fide[/i], rather than just an act.

Boy George is another genuinely good egg. Had lots to say, good sense of humour, no pretensions (despite how he's sometimes portrayed) and was happy to speak very candidly about his personal life - much to the annoyance of his PR rep who tried desperately to 'manage' our meeting. The photoshoot on the streets of Manchester kept getting interrupted by passers-by wanting to pose for selfies with him - he obliged without a hint of annoyance. Nice guy.

...all of this being many years ago. I now have a less interesting job, but it pays the mortgage :)

I met John Petrucci in a guitar shop the day after their gig in 1997. I even had the tour t-shirt on.
Being a bit shy I only got as far as telling him how great the show was and cadging his autograph on my Travelcard - but he was very polite and grateful and the store guy who was helping John with some cables didn't do the 'omg' eye roll.

I also met Jordan Rudess and Rod Morgenstein the night before at the gig as they were the opening act and were signing CDs at the end - even with a queue they gave me 30 seconds of time and didn't seem remotely hassled.

Band I was in were on music TV show with southside Jonny & asbury jukes, bangles and a local band. Bangles weren't allowed to mix with the rest of the acts (despite our best efforts) but SJ&AJ were a brilliant laugh. They were one of my favorite bands and were happy to share stories and a drink or 3 with us unknown punk types. Anyway when it came to filming our slot, I noticed on the TV monitor that the brass guys appeared on the screen miming the brass parts on our song each time the brass "stabs" came up (we didn't have brass players in the band). Apparently after I'd disclosed how much of a fan I was, they'd had a word with the director and asked him to include them in the filming. I was soooo chuffed! Nice touch I thought.