Why become a member? ×

Funniest Comment ...

Davo-London

I often play my '64 Precision in church, which is nicely beaten up and aged with lots of paint missing etc.

[attachment=210556:64P front.jpg]

Today a kid came up to me and asked me a bunch of questions, but he finished off with:

"why don't you get yourself a new bass?"

Honestly, I laughed and laughed. Poor kid, I don't think he really understood even after I'd explained myself.
Just sharing ...
Davo

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1453649172' post='2961362']
Today a kid came up to me and asked me a bunch of questions, but he finished off with:

"why don't you get yourself a new bass?"
[/quote]

But seeing as you think it's 'nicely aged', it seems like you and the lad were in agreement that your bass looks old.

He does have a very valid point though. Where else are such high levels of distress/relicing thought to be such a good thing? Classic cars are all valued for their originality, but no-one would cherish a dented wing, or scuffed hubcaps on a Lotus Cortina. Antique furniture is worth more if it hasn't been tampered with, and has patina, but nothing like the levels of a Rory Gallagher Stratocaster.

So basically, it really is only some of us players, and a handful of hardcore music fans that perpetuate this idea that a beat up guitar is more desirable than a shiny refinished one.

p.s. I'm also a 64 vintage, and glad I'm in slightly better shape :D

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453713362' post='2961939']
He does have a very valid point though. Where else are such high levels of distress/relicing thought to be such a good thing?
[/quote]
A bit off topic but there's a whole scene devoted to distressed looking cars, it's called "rat rodding". My brother had a colleague with a VW bus which he painted with oxidising paint so that it would deliberately look rusty.
Looks pretty cool (imo) on those old American pick up trucks!

Mighty fine looking P that though!!

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453649508' post='2961370']
Joking apart, I personally don't like the roadworn look, but that's just because I wish I didn't look so roadworn!
[/quote]
[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1453668422' post='2961637']
Never really "got" the road worn thing myself.
[/quote]

I think it`s fine if it`s genuine, looks a bit naff if fake production though. The 64 in question, no doubt that`s genuine wear, looks amazing.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1453724823' post='2962088']

A bit off topic but there's a whole scene devoted to distressed looking cars, it's called "rat rodding". My brother had a colleague with a VW bus which he painted with oxidising paint so that it would deliberately look rusty.
Looks pretty cool (imo) on those old American pick up trucks!

Mighty fine looking P that though!!
[/quote]

Yes I have a customer that builds distressed looking teardrop caravans

I don't need a bass to look distressed... just to feel and play like it's not brand new. I have an aversion to shiny chrome and a pristine finish, not least because I'm afeared of putting the first ding in it. I certainly don't need a bass with 'the belt-sander look' - which is horrible.

Edited by discreet