Why become a member? ×

Do you actively seek new music?

Cameronj279

A few recent threads about live music being less popular than it used to and a few comments on said threads about the audiences generally being made up of people from a certain generation got me thinking.

How many people here actively seek out new music?

I don't really go out to see a lot of new bands locally but I will try and listen to local bands music when I can...I just happen to not like most of them hence why I barely see any of them. The bands that I do like from nearby I will go watch them play when I can.

I do always try and listen to at least 5/6 new bands a week though, usually via Spotify/YouTube, internet radio or even just being given the cd.

Probably less than I used to.

I used to listen to the Zane Lowe show a lot on Radio 1 which was a great way of hearing new stuff, since he left the show's focus seems to have shifted more from new bands to new dj's/producers which isn't in itself a bad thing but less to my personal taste.

Me and a few mates do try to go into Brum every couple of months to watch a band on the national touring circuit, more often than not its someone none of us have heard.

It may be because Birmingham has a huge student population but generally the audiences for those bands are late teens/ 20s. I've been a bit surprised at some of the recent comments on here about young people not going to gigs anymore because that hasn't really chimed with my recent experience at all. Though maybe those people are talkng about pub gigs rather than national tours.

Edited by Cato

Yes, have done all my life. I'm not big on streaming and don't go for downloading, so it's usually in the form of buying CDs. I think, having invested a little, it means you perhaps give things a little longer to sink in, everything gets a few full spins at least.

Yes to both recorded & live new music.

Spotify is great; easy to get your music on there, almost every taste is catered for.

Live; I follow the "if you don't use it, you lose it" idea. I try to support local music nights otherwise there won't be any. A lot of the time it's absolutely rubbish but I have seen some gems in the last couple of years.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1453649420' post='2961369']
... I've been a bit surprised at some of the recent comments on here about young people not going to gigs anymore because that hasn't really chimed with my recent experience at all ...
[/quote]

My experience too is that young people are flocking to gigs.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1453647620' post='2961342']

How many people here actively seek out new music?

[/quote]

I'm searching for new music the whole time. I don't mean only newly made music; I mean music I haven't heard before. It could be from 2016 or from 1925. It would drive me nuts always to be hearing the same stuff over and over again. It's because I have heard the new stuff that I can still enjoy listening to the old stuff.

Not that much really, until I joined a new band recently - who play several genres of music I'm not particularly familiar with. I'm really enjoying doing the research and finding out everything about them... and of course I now realise that (like a lot of things) when you delve deeper into a subject, it is actually nothing like you imagined it to be, and nothing like the public's mainstream perception of it. I've heard so much music I haven't heard before over the last week or two it's making my head spin. In a good way...

Edited by discreet