Why become a member? ×

Do you listen to the Lyrics or the Music.?

bubinga5

When i listen to music i very rarely always listen to the lyrics of a song, sometimes i feel I'm missing out on something. I think i may be lyrically devoid. i get so much from the music and i analyse it. My wife has said to me " don't you know what this song is about" and i say no not really. sometimes i know the lyrics but I'm more absorbed in the sounds. i know I'm missing a lot, but its just what i do. My dad is a classical Pianist and a musical director and he said."Andrew there is more music in the music than the speech".

Music (and the people who play it) for me has always been about sound expression. i do love Meshell Ngeocello's lyrics but its not my ears first point of call. Does anyone feel the same. ?

Edited by bubinga5

Music first for me too. Plus most of the time when I do listen to lyrics I find them embarrassingly bad. However I do like the sound of voices, so I find myself listening to a lot of J-Pop/J-Rock which has plenty of vocals but because I can't understand what they are singing about I don't find myself cringing at the words.

Tis why i love music like Victor. as well as other instrumental only music. his playing is very incredible on this Earth Wind and Fire classic. if there is a bass player that speaks through his instrument its this guy. its wonderful bass playing through his effect that hes using. and great 2 part bass playing. Marcus Miller is another master when he uses his fingers.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqpBsIwpfg[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

I listen to both but it takes really bad lyrics to ruin a good tune for me whilst really good lyrics won't make me enjoy a tune I don't like.

Generally lyrics that don't make sense irrtate me , although Bowie's Life on Mars is a notable exception in that those lyrics seem to really convey something even though on the face of it its just a few nice sounding but mostly disconnected sentences strung together at random.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453025166' post='2955531']
I always thought music first, but then there are always the exceptions - one of my favourite artists in my 20s was Elvis Costello, and now I'm a big fan of Dylan and later Bruce Springsteen, where the lyrics are pretty essential!
[/quote]

With Dylan its definitely the lyrics that make it special. I'd say the same ( obviously to much lesser extent) about Arctic Monkeys, its the lyrics, especially on the first couple of albums that raises them above their peers.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1453025713' post='2955541']
I listen to both but it takes really bad lyrics to ruin a good tune for me whilst really good lyrics won't make me enjoy to a tune I don't like.
[/quote]
Exactly.

I listen to both but it takes really bad lyrics to ruin a good tune for me whilst really good lyrics won't make me enjoy a tune I don't like.

[/quote]
[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1453026011' post='2955555']
Exactly.
[/quote]

Hadn't thought of it that way, but yes, great point. (Although there are a couple which even the finest musical score couldn't rescue - Adrian Gurvitz "Classic" anyone)?!

Music predominately, I quite often don't hear lyrics, just the melody of the vocal. This was evident when there was a wholly inappropriate song being played in an ice cream parlour we'd taken the kids to recently, and the wife was amazed I'd not heard any of the lyrics. The staff then wished I'd not heard them....

I wonder if it's to do with the years spent working out songs on bass, or the years listening to extreme metal where the lyrics are often unitelligible anyway.

There are exceptions to this, Frank Turner for example, where the music is pretty simple, but the lyrics are really interesting.

[/quote]

Lyrics can ruin a song for me more than anything else. It's the reason I hate Motown stuff so much - the playing might be first rate but the godawful lyrics make it unlistenable for me. I hate "baby baby I love you baby" love song type stuff with a passion.

It's probably one of he reasons I loved Prog for so long - the lyrics might be crappy six form poetry but at least it's not love song crap.

Edited by RhysP

I treat all numbers differently, but for the first 4 bars I'll usually be listening to the whole number.

If I get past that point then I can focus on the rhythm, the music or the words depending on which one is strongest and catches my attention.

If the words are particularly strong, as per Dylan, Chuck Berry, Joni Mitchell etc, then the music might come a distant second. In some numbers the bass line will be the only interest, in others I'll not listen to the bass at all. I'll always listen to the drummer though.

melody line for me, I've sang along to songs numerous times and never understood the lyrics, or even sang the wrong lyrics, however, since I've been singing at open mics and had to learn the lyrics properly I do understand and appreciate them a lot more, funny thing is all the songs I like have decent lyrics, or perhaps I like the lyrics because I like the song.
Never understood Mrs Robinson though, the lyrics made no sense until I found out it was written a bout the USA presidents wife Mrs Roosevelt and Paul Simon just changed the name to get it into the Graduate film.
Crap lyrics do put me off a song

Before I picked up an instrument it was always the lyrics, now I am a bass player and still very much learning, I listen out to the bass and drums.

The caveat to the above being when I listen to opera or a solo musician, then I listen to the lyrics as they tend (note "tend)) to have some meaning to them.

Edited by Bobthedog