Why become a member? ×

Do you listen to the Lyrics or the Music.?

bubinga5

Both, but it's the music first - the piece has to be right musically for me to worry too much about the lyrics.

You can have a track with the best words around, but if it's musically awful, it's bad....but there's plenty of musically great tracks with terrible lyrics....! :o

Yes yes yes, finally, some people who are like me. I don't give a stuff about lyrics, they could be singing about toilet rolls and badgers. I just don't care and to be honest, I don't give a stuff as it's usually some old crap about themselves. The vocal just carries the melody, the words are irrelevant.

I've had so many arguments with people who try and convince me a song is good from what the lyrics are about and them not getting that I don't listen to the lyrics. They just don't get that the music is what I am listening to saying that's really weird.

Thank you, finally, I'm not alone.

Edited by Linus27

For me it's the lyrics first every time, if there are any. But I know I am in a small minority, I'm the only member of any of the bands I've played in who has any idea of what our songs are about. Including the singers one of which was an English and Drama teacher. In fact my first band had four English teachers in and they never had any idea what the songs were about. That gave me some fun when we performed Lou Reed's Vicious in front of 400 parents and children :) (it's about sado-masochism for our younger readers)

I don't know how a singer can sing lyrics without meaning, I find it bizarre. It also leads to embarrassing discussions, I won't do certain songs because the lyrics are either dodgy, like the racist song Sweet home Alabama or just because the lyrics are really stupid. Currently about to fall out with the band because I can't face playing Alanis Morissette's Ironic.

Funnily enough I listen to a lot of instrumental music and weep buckets when listening to some orchestral music. The Elgar Cello Concerto for instance gets me every time. Music alone really does have meaning and for me music gives the emotion and words the sense, the combination can be sublime.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1453193939' post='2957182']
That gave me some fun when we performed Lou Reed's Vicious in front of 400 parents and children :) (it's about sado-masochism for our younger readers)
[/quote]

There was a program the other day which had a bit how they had booked Depeche mode to play their new single 'Master and Servant' on the morning kids program, and about them thinking it was funny

I don't know how a singer can sing lyrics without meaning, I find it bizarre. It also leads to embarrassing discussions, I won't do certain songs because the lyrics are either dodgy, like the racist song Sweet home Alabama or just because the lyrics are really stupid. Currently about to fall out with the band because I can't face playing Alanis Morissette's Ironic.
[/quote]

Well, I think 'ironic' annoys everyone, because obviously Alanis didn't know the difference between Irony and Stupid. Although that does make it quite ironic, so maybe she was right.
And there isn't anything racist in Sweet Home Alabama.

Funnily enough I listen to a lot of instrumental music and weep buckets when listening to some orchestral music.
[/quote]

A song that makes me sad is [color=#232323]千鶴 [/color]by GazettE. No idea what it is about! [color=#232323] [/color]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453084919' post='2956256']
No, never have. It's something I want to change

Blue
[/quote]

The question was:
[b] [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/277021-do-you-listen-to-the-lyrics-or-the-music/page__fromsearch__1"]Do you listen to the Lyrics or the Music.?[/url][/b]

So, if neither, what DO you listen to?