Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight Dakota Red Precision Bass, 1963 *Audio*

discreet

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][b]NBD - Limelight Dakota Red Precision Bass, 1963 *Audio*[/b]

I am now the proud owner of this Limelight Dakota Red Precision Bass. It is (as far as possible) period correct and closely resembles a 1962/63 Custom-Colour Slab-Board Fender Precision Bass. Needless to say I am a very happy bunny. Now read on...

[b]Specifications[/b][/color][/font][/size][list]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Aged nitro finish, body[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Aged nitro finish, neck[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gotoh vintage-reverse tuners[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tusq nut[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Spaghetti F decal[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hootenanny Button[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rosewood slab fingerboard with clay dots[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hand-rolled fingerboard edges[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Parchment pickguard[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vintage wiring and pickup[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]CTS pots[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sprague cap[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Switchcraft jack[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vintage threaded-saddle bridge[/font][/size]
[*][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]45-105 roundwound strings[/font][/size]
[/list]
[color=#ffffff][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]M[/b][/font][/size][/color]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000][url="https://soundcloud.com/arkaymith/limelight-dakota-red-p-bass-1963"]Audio Clip[/url][/color][/b][color=#000000] - Direct into FL Studio 11 via Edirol UA5 Interface. No FX, 3/1 compression.[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#000000][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This bass is light (8.6lbs), resonant and balances well on the strap. Though essentially brand new, it nevertheless feels well played-in and very comfortable - the relic work has been sensitively executed and is lightly finished.

I've played a few pre-CBS Fenders in my time and this bass comes remarkably close in feel, playability, sound, weight and appearance. I really have no idea how Limelight achieve this, but it's a neat trick. One or two of Mark's earlier instruments were criticised by some for sporting a too-heavy relic job - and while this may perhaps have been so, his current cosmetic work is very accomplished indeed in my view. Not all 50-year-old basses have been gigged in a sweaty club every night or taken on gruelling world tours to be battered relentlessly...

So if you have ever suffered GAS for an early Fender (who hasn't?), but couldn't justify the cost, or (as in my case), simply couldn't afford one, then in my opinion this is as close as you'll get anywhere - and at a fraction of the price of a genuine vintage instrument. However, if you're lucky enough to own a vintage Fender but don't feel happy about taking it out of the house, then it may be an idea to have it recreated... keep one as a collector's investment piece, have the other as a player... why not?

But whichever way you play it, it seems Limelight are really coming into their own now and Mark is approaching the height of his powers. So I'll stop rambling and let the pictures (and the sound clip) do the talking...[/font][/size][/color]

[color=#D0D0D0][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][/font][/color]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]PS: Yes, I [i]know [/i]my pickup cover isn't period-correct. It's on the list... [/color][/font][/size]
[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For comparison purposes, a slideshow of a Fender Dakota Red 1963 Precision Bass [url="http://s734.photobucket.com/user/discreet-uk/slideshow/Genuine%20Dakota%2063%20P"]here[/url].[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Edit: Mark has recently refurbished his [url="http://classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/"]website[/url], too. :)[/font][/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1451647385' post='2942006']
Lovely looking bass, I hope to hear it some day soon.
[/quote]

Thanks Jack! I just noticed MediaFire is down, so have uploaded the [url="https://soundcloud.com/arkaymith/limelight-dakota-red-p-bass-1963"]Audio Clip[/url] to SoundCloud instead. :)

Edited by discreet

That's a cracker mate. When I went to see Mark he said the red one is already spoken for, I came away with the black P (Thin Lizzy replica) but now sporting some tasteful tort.....just as well I ended up with the black P otherwise i would of been shot down for adding some Pino vibe to the red ;) :P

Definitely right, the lighter relics are certaintly more realistic:)

That is astonishingly good. As a few have said, mostly I don't like reliced basses as they look fake. That is a time machine job, not a relicing.

And why does the word relic look so wrong when used as a verb? :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1451668907' post='2942280']
I meant when used as a verb, not when it is a noun. So 'reliced' or 'relicing'. Ugly words. Looks like someone took away the lice then put them back again.
[/quote]

That's just what I thought. I think it needs a 'k' in it (relicking) but this makes it seem medieval. Maybe that's about right. :D
I've taken to using 'relic job' to avoid the issue, but we do need a better verb.

Edited by discreet