Why become a member? ×

The Foo Fighters - are they THAT good?

spectoremg

I like the Foos, but prefer their live sound. Recorded it`s all too perfect for me, a few songs and I get fed up with them, but a live gig on the box, I`ll listen to all of that. Saw them at Wembley a few years ago as well, and they were really good.

I love the first album, front to back, I love every track on that album. Second was great, then little by little I've found less to like on each release and and really kind of lost interest in their current stuff.
Seen them live many, many times, from their first tour to arenas and festivals and I've never seen a bad show. Nice to see Pat playing with them again as well.

Would love Dave to get Them Crooked Vultures together for another album, always great to hear him drumming!

I've only really got into them lately, after watching the Sonic Highways docs on TV. I was never much of a Nirvana fan - I found all of the Cobain angst a bit of a turn off, but they were a cracking band live from what I've seen on video, due in no small part to Grohl's drumming.

He's clearly a big part of the equation when it comes to the Foo Fighters popularity : the first album was effectively him solo, and he only put the band together after he'd recorded everything himself, so he could tour. It's easy to forget that he had the option to disappear into his own world after the death of his friend, and could have been one of those guys who ends up in bar bands, his period of fame having past, but he worked his nuts of with the Foo's, frequently against some fairly hostile Kurt fans, who wanted him to spend his life pining for their hero, as they do. I can't remember exactly how many, but they toured that first album for something like 250 gigs in just over a year, and he has an insatiable drive - underlined I think by a genuine love of music, and a need to express himself through it. He's famously a nice guy, but not a soft touch, and whilst he openly accepts he's made some hard and unpleasant decisions around band members, he's not been afraid to make them - sometimes sacking his old friends (and heroes). As the line from Jerry Macguire runs - "It's not show friends, it's show business", but it's still a hard thing to do, particularly when it means taking the dream (and the cheques) away from a friend.

With regard to the material, I'd agree some of it is a bit shouty, but, his background is in hardcore and punk bands, and I'd be delighted to write something a quarter as good as 'These days'. He's an excellent writer of what he's chosen to do, big arsed stadium rock, and the live shows are generally fantastic. He's not the best guitar player and openly admits the songs are 'really easy', although I think they are trickier than most imagine, but if you've seen him playing the Rush tribute, where he covers Lifesons's lead parts, he's no slouch.

Whether you like a band or otherwise is very personal, and there is a whiff of snobbery about the Foo's I think from some, in the sense that they are a bit populist, and people that don't know much about music like them, so they must be crap. I'd venture the same is true of the Beatles - plenty of people who don't consder themselves music buffs, love The Beatles, which is down to the great tunes - and writing a catchy pop song isn't as easy as it seems. For myself, I can't see what anyone sees in U2 : massively overhyped, and the whole Saint Bono thing I find ludicrous, but - they've got some good tunes - Vertigo is a cracker, and whilst The Edge isn't Pat Metheny, he's the best guitarist for U2.

Finally, nothing wrong (IMHO) with 4 Foo's tunes in a set if the intention is to please a crowd, and surely that's what being in a pub band is all about, getting people dancing, drinking and having a laugh. The band might prefer to play obscure Jethro Tull B sides, but that's not the brief - it's show business.

They are what I like to refer to as career musicians, they write a couple of songs for singles and the rest is middle of the road tripe but enough to promote and sell the album.

Probably sold to people who used to have a second thought for music when they were younger but now only listen to bands that remind them of that time.

Fantastic band, fantastic guys and great to have a full on rock band that is still really popular. I've played a couple of their songs in covers bands and they've been the ones that are really catchy and I've enjoyed playing them.

Personally though, it's not the sort of music I choose to listen to, maybe a couple of tracks but not a whole album. Saying that, I'd still be up for doing a few of their covers, always good value.

I think they're one of the best bands to come out of the 90's & I'm not even that big a fan. They're never going to break down any boundaries or push music to the next level, that's not what they're there for - they're a safe bet, comfort blanket for when people just want to relax with a bit of simple generic rock, it just happen that that is a lot of people a lot of the time which is why they're so successful.

Saw them live in the early 00's and they were very good & would love to see them again though big venues like the o2 or stadium gigs really don't do it for me - I'll probably wait until they're next headlining a festival that I fancy going to, there's no rush as they'll be doing it for years to come.

Is four too many song for a set? I don't know as I don't play in covers bands but they're one of the best bands in their genre so if you're going to have four of a bands songs in there it may as well be them.

first album was ace, 2nd ok, downhill from there. I saw them live once and got absolutely sick of it, and this was while I was actually a fan. They kept repeating sections of songs while dave ran around, letting his fans touch him etc. It seems to me that they then took this approach to arrangement. It's now verse, chorus, verse, chorus chorus chorus chorus chorus chorus chorus chorus...

OK, not a massive fan. Probably against the norm here but I've preferred some of their more recent stuff over the earlier albums. I think it has shown a maturity through the developing years. Everyone raved about the first album but it wasn't really my thing. Never liked Nirvana.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1446644698' post='2901058']
I've not got any of the albums but would have their greatest hits (if and when it gets released) in a heartbeat.

[/quote]there you go [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foo-Fighters-Greatest-Hits/dp/B002OFWG7E"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002OFWG7E[/url]

Edited by PaulWarning

The Foos play their music from the heart and love what they do. They can fill stadiums with happy people doing this. Are they a great band? Hell yeah! They've got to be!

Most people may not like them (i like but i'm not a hardcore fan) but what they are doing is basicly what we all are trying to do, isn't it? We all want to play our music, the way we like to play it, and have success doing it...

For me there's no such thing as bad music, bad albums, bad sounds - there are really bad musicians but that's another story - if a certain type of music is apealing to somebody then it's [b]allways[/b] good music, even if i personally hate it.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1446577865' post='2900563']
I really want to like them.
Nirvana got me interested in music in the first place, so I love Dave Grohl.
The rest all seem like good people!
I just find the music pretty middle of the road. Can't get into it.
Apart from "Everlong". That's a great song
[/quote]

This. Only I'm not sure which is everlong cause they all sound kinda the same to me.

They're okay. If I was at a function where there was a cover band playing and they played the Foo Fighters, I wouldn't be offended... might even enjoy it a bit... but probably only as background music.

Monkey Wrench, Everlong, My Hero, All my life, Learn to Fly, Times Like These and Best of You are all pretty good songs. The sort of thing that people tend to book cover bands for. Music that people who don't think a lot about music recognise and that makes them happy when they're having a drink.

Modern easy listening music.

What are the other songs you have to learn?

No. I like Dave Grohl immesenly, but Foo Fighters are my idea of hell.

I loved Nirvana, but Foo Fighters seem like the kind of band Kurt would have despised. Nirvana even had a song called 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter', which pretty well sums up the Foos for me.

Didn't they sign a multi-million pound deal with Warmart for them to have exclusive rights to one of their newer albums and merchandise?

Each to their own though.