Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Last night, saw Australian Pink Floyd at the Cliff's Pavilion, Westcliff-on-sea.  They are touring a 50th anniversary DSOTM thing.  4th time I've seen them and I think this was the best performance.  Just superb in every respect. OK, if I were nit-pickingly hypercritical, maybe the bass was a bit honky at times for my preference.  Didn't affect my enjoyment. 

Unlike the group of lads behind me who thought every quiet passage was arranged especially for them to share their thoughts, loudly.  They talked all the way through then cheered at the end of the songs.  Why?  They weren't listening. 'Wish You Were Here' was greeted with 'Oh, I f*&*ing love this' and the, rather than actually shutting the flip up, the first couple of rows of the balcony were treated to a slightly offkey, full volume acapella.  Thanks guys. 

• Sad 1

Recently took  Mrs dazed to see a Bowie tribute, Absolute Bowie. They were 

surprisingly (to me) good. She’s a massive Bowie fan and loved it - including the costume/era changes. They did a good job and genuinely seemed to enjoy doing it. 

• Like 1

The CFO and I went to a covers festival near Penrith, Fleetwood Mac, Kiss, Guns and Roses, Foo Fighters, Smiths, and a few others. £20 for the day.

The weather held out, though it was very muddy, I sat in my foldable chair, bopped a little and loved it. I wasn't a massive Foo Fighters fan, but now I've heard them live (so to speak), I'll check them out more. Kiss were good, and Guns and Roses were probably better than the real Guns and Roses as they were them 20+ years ago.

I'll never see most of these now, but I will happily go to another day of covers bands and will happily fork out £50+ for the next one.

Rob

• Like 1

Cigarettes After Sex

Manchester Apollo

Doors 7pm

(No support act)

Band on stage 8.40ish

End 10pm ish

Think it may have been first gig for a lot of the attendees!  Quite a strange experience.

Enjoyed the band more than I expected to but 1h20 with no support? 

Went to see triple harpist Cerys Hafana at Kings Place (on York Way) in London.

Wasn’t sure what to expect but am always happy to shuffle along and have a look at something that may not be an obvious choice, when it comes to my usual listening habits.

I was thoroughly blown away. Cerys covers a mixture of classic (predominantly Welsh) folk pieces along with original compositions. She switched to guitar at one point, with an interesting non-standard tuning, which felt a little odd compared to the rest of the set. Still enjoyable, mind.

The venue was cool too - she was in the smaller room at the venue, which held around 200 people. Nice and intimate.

The sound was excellent and the playing other-worldly. I’d imagine in years to come on Harpchat there’ll be folk saying, “Yeah, but Cerys only needed 90 strings”!

To give a little taster, here’s a clip of her set from a few months ago. She gives an interesting insight at 8mins 16secs into how a triple harp works.

• Like 3

I've seen him quite a few times over the years - but this being his 40th anniversary tour, I decided to go see Billy Bragg at the Tramshed in Cardiff last night.

There was showing of a documentary film before he came on, and I enjoyed that. Billy was joined by 2 superb musicians (one on mandolin, guitar & slide guitar, the other on keys). So glad I went - he was absolutely on top form. Always makes me laugh, and yet think of serious matters at the same time.

For an encore, he played his debut mini album "Lifes a riot" on the old guitar it was recorded on.

Excellent evening 😀 

20231124_192832.jpg

20231124_211719~2.jpg

20231124_210610~2.jpg

• Like 4

Mrs Marvin and myself went to watch Far From Saints (Kelly Jones of The Stereophonics, and Dwight Baker and Patty Lynne of The Wind and The Wave) in Reading last night.

I've followed The Wind and The Wave since they started out (Patty Lynne slightly longer) and have always wanted to see them live but haven't had the opportunity, mainly as they don't come to the UK often. So when the FFS tour was announced I snapped up tickets as soon as I could.

It was a fantastic performance last night. A great band, faultless. Kelly Jones has a great voice in my opinion (even if you don't like what he sings he sings it well). For me though Patty Lynne's voice is awesome, and she can belt it out as well. 

Whoever was on the sound desk deserves full credit. Perfect mix. You could hear everything when it needed to be heard. Nothing overpowered anything else. Whoever it was should give lessons to all those poor sound persons.

You might have concluded I enjoyed last night's gig 🙂... I did.

• Like 1

Robert Plant's Saving Grace Tour in Stoke.

"I'd like to say it's great to be back.....but I can't furbing remember"

Plant's opening line to the audience set the tone for a fabulous gig of chilled country/folk/roots music interspersed with the occasional Led Zep song. His vocal partner Suzie Dain was excellent and a perfect foil to Plant. Does the Golden (now silver) God still have it? You bet he does although he blended his vocals with Suzie and the rest of the band rather than trying to dominate.

I usually cringe a bit when I see banjos and accordions on stage but they worked, even on Zep tunes. They did The Rain Song which was magical and mystical....even with an accordion 😊

Catch this tour if you can, you won't be disappointed. There's no merch, not much on YouTube....you have to go and watch.

"This is one of the best musical experiences of my life....and it's great not having to compete with that racket"

Plant said at the end.

Turns out he's a bassist too...FB_IMG_1700787171900.thumb.jpg.bf39d8b907d803fa6a9a40d732ae581b.jpg

• Like 5

Saw the awesome Steely Dan tribute 'Simply Dan' on Friday night in Wokingham, Berkshire. A 10 piece band, they really reproduce the classic songs superbly and every time I see them I truly believe that their guitarist Darren Spicer is probably the most talented guitarist in the country. He doesn't just play the guitar parts of Skunk, Dias, Carlton, Graydon, etc etc incredibly accurately note-wise, but also with the feel and tone associated with each. That is no mean feat considering the polar opposites of many of their styles!

Fantastic!

• Like 1

On 25/11/2023 at 11:30, Old Man Riva said:

Went to see triple harpist Cerys Hafana at Kings Place (on York Way) in London.

Wasn’t sure what to expect but am always happy to shuffle along and have a look at something that may not be an obvious choice, when it comes to my usual listening habits.

I was thoroughly blown away. Cerys covers a mixture of classic (predominantly Welsh) folk pieces along with original compositions. She switched to guitar at one point, with an interesting non-standard tuning, which felt a little odd compared to the rest of the set. Still enjoyable, mind.

The venue was cool too - she was in the smaller room at the venue, which held around 200 people. Nice and intimate.

The sound was excellent and the playing other-worldly. I’d imagine in years to come on Harpchat there’ll be folk saying, “Yeah, but Cerys only needed 90 strings”!

To give a little taster, here’s a clip of her set from a few months ago. She gives an interesting insight at 8mins 16secs into how a triple harp works.

Though she lives not too far away, I hadn't been aware of Cerys until I saw her at Cambridge Folk Festival. She was absolutely brilliant, and I will be looking out for opportunities to see her again. One chance came up a while back... but typically, I was gigging that night. Thanks for posting this @Old Man Riva- you have reminded me to search what she's up to.

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2023 at 14:52, ricksterphil said:

Robert Plant's Saving Grace Tour in Stoke.

"I'd like to say it's great to be back.....but I can't furbing remember"

Plant's opening line to the audience set the tone for a fabulous gig of chilled country/folk/roots music interspersed with the occasional Led Zep song. His vocal partner Suzie Dain was excellent and a perfect foil to Plant. Does the Golden (now silver) God still have it? You bet he does although he blended his vocals with Suzie and the rest of the band rather than trying to dominate.

I usually cringe a bit when I see banjos and accordions on stage but they worked, even on Zep tunes. They did The Rain Song which was magical and mystical....even with an accordion 😊

Catch this tour if you can, you won't be disappointed. There's no merch, not much on YouTube....you have to go and watch.

"This is one of the best musical experiences of my life....and it's great not having to compete with that racket"

Plant said at the end.

Turns out he's a bassist too...FB_IMG_1700787171900.thumb.jpg.bf39d8b907d803fa6a9a40d732ae581b.jpg

Missed out due to RAAC in St David's Hall then all tickets cancelled a week before as the new venue was too small, and people could only repurchase two maximum (we were the other two in a group of four). All a bit crap really.

• Like 1

The last gig I went to was Rhombus, Black Riders Cult, and Dhampyres in Leeds on Saturday. I know, goth bands most people won't have the vaguest idea about but worth a listen if you like your music on the darker side as I do, and it's good to give a shout out to smaller bands.

• Like 1

On the train home from Extreme supported by Living Colour at The Forum, Kentish Town. Great performances by both. Excellent sound. Extreme clocked in at almost two hours, but a well paced show. Pat played a blinder. I believe they are back there later this month. Tonight was sold out. Not sure if the other date is.

Just made the last train at Liv St before the strike kicks in. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

On the train home from Extreme supported by Living Colour at The Forum, Kentish Town. Great performances by both. Excellent sound. Extreme clocked in at almost two hours, but a well paced show. Pat played a blinder. I believe they are back there later this month. Tonight was sold out. Not sure if the other date is.

Just made the last train at Liv St before the strike kicks in. 

Living Colour were amazing, Doug Wimbish is a powerhouse, and I loved the hip-hop medley. Extreme I was a bit disappointed by - GC's vocals seem to be more shouted than sung these days. Great to see Nuno and Pat though, and the drummer (sorry don't know his name) was good too. I was on the floor for the first few songs then headed to the bar for a drink. There was no way I was going to back to where I was, but nowhere back of the floor had any sightlines and the sound was suffering as well. I left after Am I Ever Going To Change (one of my favourites) which was a struggle to get through.

Saw Extreme/Living Colour last night and bumped into @Merton in the bar!

Enjoyed Living Colour (having seen them numerous times since the original Marquee and Astoria gigs back in the day) but the sound wasn't great and I thought they should have dumped the opening Led Zep cover and played Middle Man instead... Who needs covers when you have a limited set time? Doug's Spector cut through nicely though as always ;)

Extreme were on fire.... Fantastic performance and great set list! Rare to have a band where 3 of the 4 members are all capable of being lead singer and they capitalised on it with some fantastic harmony vocals. Gary Cherone's voice is still very good considering their advancing ages and the energy levels he was putting in. Pat Badger's bass playing was excellent as always.... hugely underrated player imho...

Gutted we had to leave just before the final track of the main set 'Get The Funk Out' (which is what we had to do) as with the tube station shut we had to navigate 4 trains to get home at the end of the night :(

• Like 2