Why become a member? ×

Feeling the flats

bonzodog

Been thinking of getting some flat wounds for a while after seeing the love on here. Always used rounds before.
Thought I would try some fender flats as they were the cheapest in case I didn't like them.
Pleased to say I love the sound but way more than that is the feel of them. They feel great to play on my fingers. Just surprised this isn't mentioned more along with the sound they make.

Edited by bonzodog

I've only have flats on one of my basses and they're fenders. They're find sound-wise, but I don't really get along with the feel of them. They're ok if my hands are dry or really sweaty, but when they're in that, in between, moist state, I find the flats grip like mad and prevent me sliding.

Am I alone in this or can anyone with more flats experience recommend another make to try which don't have this drawback?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443126936' post='2872547']
Give 'em a good rub with a cotton t-shirt to banish the grippyness.
[/quote]
Whenever I fit a new set - which is generally only when I get a new bass ;) before fitting I give them a good rub down with Surgical Spirits on a cotton pad - rub until no more black comes off.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1443127812' post='2872557']
Thanks, I'll try that. Any idea why this helps?

I believe a lot of the muck that comes off is residue from the manufacturing process, including machine oils, once the initial clean up is done they're never as 'sticky' & never need treating again, but I do use GHS Fast Fret once in a while.

BTW, I've been thinking of splurging out on some La Bella's. Any tips, suggestions, alternatives?
[/quote]

I'm with WOT - GHS Precision Flats are my fave on P bass, particularly a wide 'C' neck.
Status Flats are great VFM & I like them best on a 'B' nut.
TI JF344s on a Jazz Bass IMHO a perfect match B)

I was lucky with this, bought my BTB a few months ago and it came with flats and I just love them. The feel is good but it's the sound I really like, I don't like the brightness of roundwounds. Mine were nicely played in so not grippy at all. They're [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thomastiks but I'm not sure which ones as they were already on, I'll have to try and ID them some time.[/font][/color]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1443168321' post='2872709']
Whenever I fit a new set - which is generally only when I get a new bass ;) before fitting I give them a good rub down with Surgical Spirits on a cotton pad - rub until no more black comes off.

I'm with WOT - GHS Precision Flats are my fave on P bass, particularly a wide 'C' neck.
Status Flats are great VFM & I like them best on a 'B' nut.
TI JF344s on a Jazz Bass IMHO a perfect match B)
[/quote]

I have TI Jazz Flats on a Squier VM Jazz and get a beautiful warm sound. I am doing a lot of Jazz and Standards at the moment and it works perfectly.

Edited by skywalker

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1443124068' post='2872507']
I've only have flats on one of my basses and they're fenders. They're find sound-wise, but I don't really get along with the feel of them. They're ok if my hands are dry or really sweaty, but when they're in that, in between, moist state, I find the flats grip like mad and prevent me sliding.

Am I alone in this or can anyone with more flats experience recommend another make to try which don't have this drawback?
[/quote]

GHS Fast Fret is fantastic for solving this. I use it all the time and it makes playing much easier. Its also great if you are going for fast runs using finger style playing. We do a cover of The Trooper by Iron Maiden and a bit of fast fret down on the plucking area of the strings makes getting those speedy triplets much easier

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1443178404' post='2872831']
We do a cover of The Trooper by Iron Maiden and a bit of fast fret down on the plucking area of the strings makes getting those speedy triplets much easier
[/quote]

Always thought that would be a fun song to gig, but never had the chance.

Flats sound and feel great , unfortunate that they dont work for my 80s band or id use them all the time

I've got Rotosound Monel flats on my P - SM77? - and D'Addario black tapewounds on my J. Love them both but for different reasons. I still get the "stickiness" onthe Monels from time to time - seems to be when the atmosphere or my hands are damp? Still happens now, even after....no, I won't admit how old they are, I'll just make myself feel ashamed (or cheap!) but they still sound great and stay in tune for ever.

i wish i got on better with flats - i really love the idea, and the feel, and the sound in certain circumstances, such as recording, but for every day gigging etc I keep falling back to round wounds as for me they give me a better all round sound and feel.

I had some flats on my old Precision for ages, which really suited it and sounded good, but once I swapped back to round wounds the bass just became so much more alive and responsive.

I've got Rotosound Sm77 flats on my fretless, but that's all.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1443523079' post='2875443']
GHS Pressurewounds are a lovely in-between string.

They are rounds that have been squeezed to flatten the windings.
[/quote]

Similarly, I love these:
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=183&productname=ENR71_5SL_Half_Rounds_Bass__Regular_Light__45_130__Super_Long_Scale&sid=012def11-7b81-4c8a-87b4-04a304dc15b2

[quote name='skywalker' timestamp='1443174014' post='2872770']
I have TI Jazz Flats on a Squier VM Jazz and get a beautiful warm sound. I am doing a lot of Jazz and Standards at the moment and it works perfectly.
[/quote]

I have D'Addario Chromes on my Squier VM Jazz. Thought I would give them a go, as my band is mainly 50s/60s Rock n Roll and thought it would be interesting to try them. I did expect them to be duller sounding but surprisingly, when my Jazz is in Serial mode, they can be quite growly when I dig in. Not intending to change back to Rounds on that bass now (still have them on the rest).

Im also a big fan of [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]D'Addario Chromes which ive got on my jazz and status hot wires on my status .... and nylon tapewounds on my accoustic . [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I find the chromes have slightly more Bite ... which lets them be a bit more versatile.[/font][/color]