Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

I have! and it still doesn't quite go into the 'woahh!!!' section that my morley did- I've put an OD in front of it which makes it slightly better, and now that I've put a fuzz there it's fine now -really goes over the top, but yeah, I still use it a lot, even though it doesn't go as far.

Edited by iamapirate

[quote name='iamapirate' post='578989' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:54 PM']I think line 6 in general, really. :/ Just really don't understand it unless you want a very digitally sounding constant chorus or overdrive to use in black death metal.[/quote]

you can really tell how those modeling amps or anything like that just sounds so digital when you hear it.

ERNIE BALL BASSES: Built well, look good, but sound like garbage. A cottonball has more sustain than any Ernie Ball I've ever played.

ANYTHING BY FENDER: Look good, sound somewhat 'tolerable'. The U.S.-made models are waayyyyyy over-priced. The active models have no character. The Mexican models aren't much better but you can work with them. The best value for your money is the Vintage Squier models, half the price or less, and respectable sound quality.

GALLIEN-KRUEGER: TOO ugly to have on stage at any given time.

MARKBASS: Small package, sounds good, OVERPRICED, looks like a piece of construction equipment with the hazard-yellow paint scheme.

ANYTHING BY IBANEZ: Too sterile sounding and too light of a bass. Not much sustain. Fender Affinity basses made in China sound better than Ibanez.

YAMAHA BASSES: Crappy factory pickups that make their basses sound 'hollow'

AMPEG: I'd rather spend the money that they want for Ampeg stuff and just get a new car.

LINE6: Very useless features that no bassist would ever use.

Edited by Mowac

[quote name='lwtait' post='273770' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:34 PM']and i know its not gear, but jaco pastorius.[/quote]
Can't not agree. Don't see what the fuss is about with him, bores me to death.

[quote name='Josh' post='273821' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:53 PM']And boiling strings does next to bugger all IMO.[/quote]
I always get another 2 or 3 weeks out of strings by boiling them in water with a little bit of white vinegar.

Oh yeah have to agree on Ibanez too, other than the vintage stuff which I haven't tried. Thin uncomfortable bodies that feel like they're made of plastic, horrid laminated floor style necks and sh*tty korean bart pups. Why anyone wants to play that I don't know.

Edited by KineticX49

Any bass amp that has a 1001 knobs, sliders, equalisers, filters, blah blah blah.........They are only there to cover up the fact that the amp is in fact......CRAP :rolleyes: :lol: But, I suppose they're not boring. You can spend a decade trying to get "that sound", and never come close..... :lol:

I also have a loathing for a certain English bass gear manufacturers amps......They're cabs are ace, but the amps........Had 2 completely fry the power amp board, due to zero circuit protection. And it's not only me that has had this happen :) No, I won't name and shame :lol:

AMPEG?? Not as pricey as some IMHO :lol:

[quote name='Mowac' post='579233' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:27 PM']ERNIE BALL BASSES: Built well, look good, but sound like garbage. A cottonball has more sustain than any Ernie Ball I've ever played.

ANYTHING BY FENDER: Look good, sound somewhat 'tolerable'. The U.S.-made models are waayyyyyy over-priced. The active models have no character. The Mexican models aren't much better but you can work with them. The best value for your money is the Vintage Squier models, half the price or less, and respectable sound quality.[/quote]

Ernie ball... Sound amazing, especialy the Ray and Bongo. And the sustain is emence compared to Fenders imho, more sustain then I would know what to do with.

I 100% agree about fender.

[quote name='Clarky' post='578156' date='Aug 23 2009, 12:33 PM']Disagree on the price question (which is partly due to sterling's weakness and affects all US-sourced and Euro-sourced instruments). The 09 Precisions and Jazzes IMHO stand up to the competition - not just my opinion, though, ask Beedster who has owned countless Fenders and two Sadowskys and yet says his 09 Jazz is probably the nicest fretted bass he has ever owned[/quote]

+1. I tested a Sadowsky, and I wanted to really like its tone. I didnt.

New Fenders are excellent, and thats coming from someone who once took a USA Jazz back about 8 years ago due it just not being right at all.

I love Fender tone, and now they seem to have sorted the QC.

Hmm....whats over-rated? Ampeg..for me. Tried it, didnt like it.

[quote name='rayfw' post='273708' date='Aug 31 2008, 02:15 PM']Fender? Check!
Stingray? Check!
Markbass? Check!
Any Warwick haters want to chime in so that all my gear has been slagged off ?[/quote]

Yep, anything made by Warwick.

Fender and Markbass user.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='578149' date='Aug 23 2009, 12:27 PM']Damn, i guess me and the other Fender players all round the world got the worng make ;-) I wish we had asked the twat in the guitar shop first ;-)

Thats another thing thats overated, people who think they speak for the whole world when its obvious they are talking out of thier bums.[/quote]

Don't know if I've taken ur post the wrong way, but no offence is intended mate. Like I said, I've got two Fenders myself and my old man's got a '67 Fender Jazz which I think is the best bass I've ever played!

I also bought a Fender MIM telecaster about 5 years ago from Sound Control, paid about £300 for it. Sitting next to it was a Fender MIA Telecaster, price £750. Is the American one better, probably. £450 quid better, don't think so. Just feels like Fender take this pi$$ sometimes. My opinion.

+1 on that......

I bought my Mrs a Squier Precision special a few years back. Took a little bit of fiddling to get the action right, then loaded it with Seymour Duncan "1/4 Pounders". IMHO, it now sounds better than a USA Precision, and probably cost less than a third of the price :)

I'm not a Fender hater - I have a slight case of GAS for a 70's Jazz, with the block markers, and the ash tray. But Fender over rated? IMHO, yeap. Just can't see where my £1000 pound would have gone into making one......

Haven't trawled through all 30 pages, but off the top of my head:

Simpsons / cartoon straps – keep it for pants & socks
Gold hardware – for that B&Q luxury bathroom suite look
String winders – real bassists have titanium-hard calluses on their fingers.
Bass vibratos – get a fretless
Double-necks – pose rating beyond acceptable limits
Nylon-coated strings – maybe I tried the wrong ones (picato) but had the tone and feel of a limp washing-line
Fluorescent paint jobs – bah humbug

:)

I loathe ampeg for the overpriced, poor build quality, intolerably awful sounding rubbish that IMO it is.

Figured tops. Yeah they look fab (really I love it) but dont pretend its a better 'tonewood' than something less pretty, it aint, its just bling/chrome, it adds nothing but the sense that the immense investment was worthwhile (look how purdy) and does nothing more for the sound or playability than a less purdy top.

Overpricing due to different markets in general makes my blood boil (how is it ok that Markbass are about half the price in the US than in UK??).

Fender for their overpricing (the Squire VMJ is value for money mind) and for causing so many people to then think that anything not Fender is therefore not as good! How the hell did they do that (given their QA history!)

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='580088' date='Aug 25 2009, 01:27 PM']I loathe ampeg for the overpriced, poor build quality, intolerably awful sounding rubbish that IMO it is.[/quote]

+1!

I've played through several Ampegs and liked none of them save for an old V4b through two SVT-410's that made my Ric and my Jazz sound HUGE. I've tried the SVT-4PRO, SVT-3PRO, SVT350 and some of their combo's (B2 4x8", BA115, BA112) and none of them suited me, especially the SVT PRO's sounded incredibly dull with no top end sparkle at all, too much mids and too few lows. The Bright-switch just made it sound tinny and harsh instead of adding sparkle and punch, and I won't even go into the Ultra High switch. Definitely not my tone :)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='578989' date='Aug 24 2009, 12:54 PM']I think line 6 in general, really. :/ Just really don't understand it unless you want a very digitally sounding constant chorus or overdrive to use in black death metal.[/quote]

I think it depends what your using it for, as for the line 6 bass POD, the effects bar a couple are pap. But its pretty freaking handy for recording if you are limited in the equipment/space side of things. Same goes for the guitar one.

Jazz basses including basses insired by jazzes. Give me Precision or mustang any day.

Roundwound strings

Any Rotosound strings

Any music software running on a PC

straplocks never found any that work properly except ones from Grolsch bottles or shower hose washers.

Pleckies - Nah I won't go there. I'll just say they're not for me and we'll leave it at that.