Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Beedster' post='374439' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:04 PM']My three

. Also Fender active electronics. How do they manage to get their 21st Century active basses to send less toneful and punchy than their '70s passive basses?[/quote]
DO FENDER MAKE ACTIVES??? Since when???

Pickup placement,and windings number....checkout the different distances between different era's..REALLY affects tone.

[quote name='ARGH' post='374428' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:57 PM']....And I prefer 18v.[/quote]

can you [i]really[/i] tell that much? Could you to the Pepsi Challenge on it?

I'd be interested to know - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35505"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35505[/url]

Here goes:

I find reliced basses (Fender or otherwise but they're usually Fender) overrated. My thoughts are that if it was an old bass that was structurally sound and played like a dream and had some 'real' history then maybe, just maybe I'd love it if it sounded good too. But, knowing that the 'history' is purely manufactured would completely spoil it for me. I'd feel like I was playing a lie, something incongruent.

I find Fender generally overrated, I've owned a few but none have stayed. I've owned a lot of cheaper supposedly inferior basses that have to me been sooo much better in every respect. I was playing my Harlot this morning and went into town to get a new practice amp. The guy gave me a new US Precision to check the amp out and it was a pile of overpriced poo in comparison.

I find passive basses overrated. Nobody seems to notice but they are only passive as far as the pre amp ffs!

I find old Fenders completely overrated and their prices likewise, a complete nonsense, marketing victims queueing up to be ripped off and go oooh ahhh :)

So that going to upset a few 'Fender victims' I suspect :huh:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='374490' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:49 PM']Bass playing.

We all spend loads of money trying to slightly alter the tone of our sound then spend stupid money on posh transistors then go and use it at gigs just to be asked "were you the guitarist?"

:) :huh:[/quote]

Touché

It's painful cos it's true :huh:

[quote name='ARGH' post='374418' date='Jan 8 2009, 08:45 PM']I dont trust heads to get a sound,the way one head sounds and needs to be set up,is gonna be totally different from the next maker...then throw the room in,where in the room Im set up,what surface and crowd number....then theres the throw a 6 soundman....

Seeing as I made most of my money was made playing functions work,one tone,onstage is silly....I set the heads flat,they are there for volume and distortion,nothing else..then I let the onboard sculpt the sound to the room...in one guitar bands,Ive a ton of room to fill,Mid gives me the ability to fill the bits up between Bass,Keys and Guitar....I like an Entwistlesque sound,and the Butler crunch.

Irony being one of my fave tones was my P-Bass,passive.But I loved my Status hybrid thingy (Thats now playing Deathmetal in Poland) that had a Mark King Mid boost attached...great for 'Wont get fooled again'.crank the pre-amps mid and the sizzle and thud was earthshaking.

Alone it,the tone as a noise,sounds f***ing awful,get the rest of the band going around,and its an awesome bass tone...Distortomatic. YOU need mid for the range for a 6 string..its range is to big for just BASS/TREBLE...you need the mid,let the guitar do the tone,let the amp make the volume...less gain more volume,better tone,better distortion.[/quote]

OK I give up :) ... from reading your posts and responses I have as much info as I need not to pursue this further. :huh:

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='374454' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:14 PM']can you [i]really[/i] tell that much? Could you to the Pepsi Challenge on it?

I'd be interested to know - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35505"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35505[/url][/quote]
I cant for sh*t,I just feel more confident with 18v...its psycosomatic..its madness...but 18v feels better.....9v I associate with cheapo japcrap,or the 80s (When active was ACTIVE..as in turn the thing on and the head went Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

[quote name='ARGH' post='374499' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:54 PM']I cant for sh*t,I just feel more confident with 18v...its psycosomatic..its madness...but 18v feels better.....9v I associate with cheapo japcrap,or the 80s (When active was ACTIVE..as in turn the thing on and the head went Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)[/quote]

If you can't tell then why care? So if I gave you a de-badged passive Squire and told you it was a Sadowsky with an 18V pre amp, you wouldn't be able to tell?

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='374508' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:58 PM']If you can't tell then why care? So if I gave you a de-badged passive Squire and told you it was a Sadowsky with an 18V pre amp, you wouldn't be able to tell?[/quote]

Its like bolt-necks vs Thru-necks,Im not gonna get all het up over it,I just know what I like and feel....
Thats the point of this thread,not to take it all to heart,and not to microscope peoples tastes..yes theres joshing and push/pull,and an awful lot of .."ERRRR ARE YOU MAD ,HOW CAN YOU THINK THAT??"

Im sorry if Im making you annoyed...dont believe all you read...Im a nice guy really.

[quote name='ARGH' post='374525' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:15 PM']Its like bolt-necks vs Thru-necks,Im not gonna get all het up over it,I just know what I like and feel....
Thats the point of this thread,not to take it all to heart,and not to microscope peoples tastes..yes theres joshing and push/pull,and an awful lot of .."ERRRR ARE YOU MAD ,HOW CAN YOU THINK THAT??"

Im sorry if Im making you annoyed...dont believe all you read...Im a nice guy really.[/quote]

Fair doos – each to their own.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='374481' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:40 PM']

:)[/quote]

'Yah, it's really retro!'

Acute genius, as ever :-) -totally relevant to the Fendermania we're seeing on Ebay right now!

not that I don't like Fenders, understand, but £2000 for a mid-70s Jazz with a mis-aligned neck? puh-leeeze...

I like Fenders.

I like gibsons.

I like marshall bass amplification.

I like ampeg amplification.

I like hiwatts.

I like whirlwind leads.

I like hiscox cases.

The only only other stuff I've owned has been cheap and crap and is broken. I've never suffered from bad QC from fender, gibson, marshall, ampeg (well, only once), hiwatts, hiscox or whirlwind so there... :)

[quote name='bremen' post='374544' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:33 PM']'Yah, it's really retro!'

Acute genius, as ever :-) -totally relevant to the Fendermania we're seeing on Ebay right now![/quote]

I was looking for - but couldn't find - another similar skit where he sells a table to Sophie Winkleman that is "genuine sh*t", and she says something like "I hate the way now they fake things to look like sh*t when they're actually good".

:)

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Beedster' post='374439' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:04 PM']My three

1. Fender Custom Shop Jaco Pastorius tribute/relic Jazz. Less a tribute than an insult. Also Fender active electronics. How do they manage to get their 21st Century active basses to send less toneful and punchy than their '70s passive basses?

[i][b]2. Aphex Puch Factory. It doesn't punch and it isn't a factory. Where's Trading Standards when you need them?[/b][/i]

3a. People who moan about Fender manufacturing relic basses.
3b. People who own Fender relic basses :)

C[/quote]

I like the Punch Factory. It is simply a compressor - and it err ... compresses. (Oh and its a nice orange colour) :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='372453' date='Jan 6 2009, 09:30 PM']+1 for passive basses and ashdown amps

il add £2000 + instruments and fender copies (sadowsky particularly)[/quote]

Kev, if you got yourself a decent bass like a Sadowsky you wouldn't need all those effects :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='374499' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:54 PM']I cant for sh*t,I just feel more confident with 18v...its psycosomatic..its madness...but 18v feels better.....9v I associate with cheapo japcrap,or the 80s (When active was ACTIVE..as in turn the thing on and the head went Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)[/quote]
How about 9v with a voltage doubler?

[quote name='birdy' post='374911' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:08 AM']Kev, if you got yourself a decent bass like a Sadowsky you wouldn't need all those effects :)[/quote]
Tea / screen moment. :huh: