Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Telebass' post='1291099' date='Jul 3 2011, 03:53 PM']very few people have ever done [b][i]anything, in any field[/i][/b], which is still the basic standard and is still essentially unchanged, and still in production, after 60 years.[/quote]

Leica M cameras spring to mind, but you're right, I can't think of much else!
ped

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1293140' date='Jul 5 2011, 10:18 AM']Not read the whole thread so sorry if its a repeat but I don't like 99% of Alembic basses. There! I said it! I liked the series 2 shape that Flim Johnson uses (and love his playing) but, having trawled the net recently looking for examples of Alembics, I found that most of them were plug ugly and, more to the point, most of them I heard sounded really icky to my cloth ears. Wouldn't say no to trying some out but, from what I have seen/heard to date, there are very few Alembics that I would cross the street for.

I am willing to be proven wrong, though.[/quote]

Same here, them and those statuses that mark king had, just don't think they look very appealing!

GAS is over rated.

I've not had any GAS for almost 18 months and I'm more content with my sound/gear than ever. Be happy with what you've got - the new 'must have' will not revolutionise bass playing or live up to the hype...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1331575' date='Aug 8 2011, 12:22 AM']I joked but I did end up with a Warwick and it was awesome.[/quote]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273792' date='Aug 31 2008, 04:25 PM']My account will be deleted after this post.

1.Anything with more than 4 strings
2.Warwicks
3.Any bass that costs more than £1000
4.Wireless units

I will think of more and come back if my account is still intact.[/quote]

Please tell me it was a five string which cost over a grand :)

Come to think of it, wasn't it you that tried to buy that orange five string? Shows how prejudices can alter over time with changing views and needs.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1331835' date='Aug 8 2011, 11:11 AM']Please tell me it was a five string which cost over a grand :)

Come to think of it, wasn't it you that tried to buy that orange five string? Shows how prejudices can alter over time with changing views and needs.[/quote]

I have had 3 five strings since then, I also own a £1500 bass.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1331575' date='Aug 8 2011, 12:22 AM']Good to see Si's old posts, he is sore;y missed.[/quote]

+1 Very true!

Reading through a few pages of this thread again, I wonder if any of the very latest ultra-trendy products will end up on this thread at some point; D-Class amps, Auralex Gramma pads etc, etc?

Expensive cables.

Get yourself a good quality shielded cable and be done with it. So long as it doesn't fall apart and doesn't pick up any noise---thats all you need.

Effects pedals.

The occasional bit of dirt or filtering is cool but lets be honest, 90% of effects sound sh*t on bass. There, I said it.

Valve amps.

Yes, (some) valve amps sound like the dogs' danglies but there is a mistaken belief amongst musicians that valves = better. No, valves = [i]different[/i]. So valve amps are overrated in the sense that they are not inherently better than any other kind of amp.

I've only really skimmed this thread and looked at a couple of posts per page, but from what I've read it seems to me that the absolute number one most over-rated bass, or bass related product is not an instrument or piece of equipment at all, but the product of reinforced closed minded bigotry and misplaced preconception.

Some of the things posted in this thread are ridiculous.. It doesn't apply to most players but there are still plenty out there that need to expand their world view and learn to decentralise!

There, that's my contribution to all the distaste going around England today.. had to get it out of my system somehow :)

[quote name='dc2009' post='1293718' date='Jul 5 2011, 06:31 PM']Same here, them and those statuses that mark king had, just don't think they look very appealing![/quote]

MB1. :)
:) Somebodys left a warwick in your avatar....Bastards!

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1233024' date='May 16 2011, 01:50 PM']Return of the "Ashdown is / are shyte" thing:

* Wooly, dull, no top end, EQ doesn't do anything, no sparkle, can't handle low B, harmoniser tracking sucks, totally crap compared to my rig costing 3-5 times as much. etc., etc.

* They all fall apart, all the bits drop off, too heavy to lift, my lightweight cab-doodah really etc., etc.

* They all catch fire, the speakers randomly detonate, the horn shoots out and blinds you etc., etc.

* The UK-made ones are OK, lovely guys at the factory, bend over backwards to help you, shame about the Chinese QC etc., etc.

* Di-dah di-dah di-dah (cont. p.94)[/quote]

:)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='273617' date='Aug 31 2008, 11:45 AM']Hi Folks,

Don't know about where you are, but it's been nothing but thunderstorms and pouring rain here on the south coast this morning! To help cope with the boredom, here's a silly question to pass the time and have a bit of fun whilst taking a few pot-shots at each others bass-related favourites..

So, in your opinion, what's the most over-rated bass, bass gear or bass-related product you can think of and why? Or what do you just love to hate?

Here's my top 3:

1. Sei Jazz 5; too many of these being sold here lately, guess they look great but are too clean and polite sounding unless you play in a jazz-fusion trio?
2. Ashdown amps & cabs; wooly sound, pointless retro design, not easy to get a decent sound out of and definitely a case of 'style over substance'.
4. Bartolini pick-ups; bland, polite & sterile. Definitely massively over-used and over-rated!

Nothing too serious remember - just a bit of silly Sunday fun. :)

Nik[/quote]

1. Roadworn / relic modern basses and effects pedals don't understand that, they look sh*te
2. Wireless systems for bass, I hate it when I have to use them.
3. Playing on a sunday, its my day off.....

Edited by dan670844