Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='maxrossell' post='656750' date='Nov 17 2009, 10:21 AM']I understand that, but honestly, I don't see the advantage in a trade-off where you get a little bit of extra note access some of the time in exchange for a neck that's huge all the time.[/quote]

My Ibanez SR505 has a nice slim neck not a huge neck at all , thats why my next bass (which will be another 5 string) will also be an Ibanez

[quote name='maxrossell' post='657160' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:23 PM']That, plus I think there's a lot of bizarre generalisations going around. Sure, you'll find a Squier model or two that plays better than a Fender Mex that would cost you maybe a hundred quid more, but on balance most Squiers are still pieces of s***, and most Fenders are still pretty good instruments.[/quote]

It depends what Squier , the classic vibe models imo are easily better than most Mexican Standard Fenders and IMO makes me wonder if it isn't the Mex Fenders that should have the Squier logo .

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='660156' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:05 PM']My Ibanez SR505 has a nice slim neck not a huge neck at all , thats why my next bass (which will be another 5 string) will also be an Ibanez[/quote]

Sure. But you gotta admit even the thinnest 5s have a substantial neck when compared to even the fattest 4s. I own a pretty slim-necked 5 myself and it's still quite a bit bigger than the biggest 4-string Precision I've ever played, especially when you go up the neck.

[quote name='markdavid' post='660161' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:12 PM']It depends what Squier , the classic vibe models are easily better than most Mexican Standard Fenders and IMO makes me wonder if it isn't the Mex Fenders that should have the Squier logo .[/quote]

Again, agreed. With Mexes you have to shop around a lot if you want to find one that compares well to the CVs, and even the Standard Squiers are good for the money. But I'd still take a good Mex over the majority of Squiers.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='660167' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:20 PM']Again, agreed. With Mexes you have to shop around a lot if you want to find one that compares well to the CVs, and even the Standard Squiers are good for the money. But I'd still take a good Mex over the majority of Squiers.[/quote]

I have a really good MIM and I have just bought a VMJ so I'm hoping to do a bit of a comparison review.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='660167' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:20 PM']Sure. But you gotta admit even the thinnest 5s have a substantial neck when compared to even the fattest 4s.[/quote]

Well, yes but not always by that much:

Two of my basses:

Fender urge Mk1, 4 string 19mm spacing. neck is 56mm across at the 12th fret.
(and this is quite a slim jazzy neck)

Ibanez GWB35 5 string, 16.5mm spacing (as is the SR505). Neck is 63mm across at the 12th fret.

Both necks are of similar depth.

So yes, the 5 string is wider but, according to string spacing, not necessarily by as much as you might think.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='660401' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:47 PM']Well, yes but not always by that much:

Two of my basses:

Fender urge Mk1, 4 string 19mm spacing. neck is 56mm across at the 12th fret.
(and this is quite a slim jazzy neck)

Ibanez GWB35 5 string, 16.5mm spacing (as is the SR505). Neck is 63mm across at the 12th fret.

Both necks are of similar depth.

So yes, the 5 string is wider but, according to string spacing, not necessarily by as much as you might think.[/quote]

Thats exactly my point , my SR505 is 45mm at the nut, I had a 4 string epiphone that was 43mm at the nut and im sure most P basses are probably a very similar nut width to this

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='maxrossell' post='660167' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:20 PM']Sure. But you gotta admit even the thinnest 5s have a substantial neck when compared to even the fattest 4s. I own a pretty slim-necked 5 myself and it's still quite a bit bigger than the biggest 4-string Precision I've ever played, especially when you go up the neck.[/quote]
I have several 5-strings with less substantial necks than some 4-strings, and a 7-string with a less bulky neck than a typical Warwick 5-string. I also have one bass which is a 5-string conversion from a 4-string using a Wilkinson 4+1 bridge, hence it has an identical neck to a 4-string...

• 1 month later...

I find that most bass string companys are pretty awful and overated, and yes everyone will hate me for this but everyone says elixir bass strings are terrible and a waste of money, i use super lights that last me a year literally, whereas normal rotos etc last a month.

Another point I have is, yes I do think ashdowns have a boring sound and are overated but the ashdown mini rig is one cracking little practice amp!

[quote name='HoweDy' post='722935' date='Jan 24 2010, 10:54 AM']everyone says elixir bass strings are terrible and a waste of money, i use super lights that last me a year literally, whereas normal rotos etc last a month.[/quote]
[i]Only[/i] a year? I left a set of elixirs on my P for at least 3 years. Maybe it was 4.

'Normal' strings last me about 3 rehearsals before they go off. Elixirs save me a fortune.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='723042' date='Jan 24 2010, 12:41 PM'][i]Only[/i] a year? I left a set of elixirs on my P for at least 3 years. Maybe it was 4.

'Normal' strings last me about 3 rehearsals before they go off. Elixirs save me a fortune.[/quote]

Yes, I was very impressed with the Elixirs. I had a nice light set on my 75 RI & once they bedded in they sounded great and never seemed to go "off". I've also been highly impressed with the DR Marcus Miller FatBeams. These also seem to last a long time & give massive tone as well.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='723042' date='Jan 24 2010, 12:41 PM'][i]Only[/i] a year? I left a set of elixirs on my P for at least 3 years. Maybe it was 4.

'Normal' strings last me about 3 rehearsals before they go off. Elixirs save me a fortune.[/quote]

to be honest they would probably last longer than a year but I just thought I would have a nice new set every birthday :) do you find that the thread comes through a bit? Doesn't affect them at all though

• 1 year later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1232851' date='May 16 2011, 11:21 AM']Spectors, I keep on seeing them pop up on here, they are so fugly they need their own classification.[/quote]

Kind of agree, I think they look nice, but not all that to play, and the quality isn't quite what I would expect from a 2 grand instrument (I had a Euro5). Also, what's up with that dreadful bridge?!

Time to add my rant:

1) Ashdown - toss amps and toss cabs. Nuff said. Never heard a good Ashdown ever. Woolly and dull.

2) Hartke - never heard a good Hartke, even with Stu Hamm playing through it. I've used a few before and they all sucked. Very tinny sounding and no balls IMO

3) Bass forums ;-)

What is it with Ashdown, I actually found mine to be great. An ABM 500 RC II and it was anything but woolly. Not that expensive either, considering. I'd take one back anytime. Are we saying that all the Ashdown endorsees, only play use Ashdown because they get them for free? I can't believe that for a minute.

Return of the "Ashdown is / are shyte" thing:

* Wooly, dull, no top end, EQ doesn't do anything, no sparkle, can't handle low B, harmoniser tracking sucks, totally crap compared to my rig costing 3-5 times as much. etc., etc.

* They all fall apart, all the bits drop off, too heavy to lift, my lightweight cab-doodah really etc., etc.

* They all catch fire, the speakers randomly detonate, the horn shoots out and blinds you etc., etc.

* The UK-made ones are OK, lovely guys at the factory, bend over backwards to help you, shame about the Chinese QC etc., etc.

* Di-dah di-dah di-dah (cont. p.94)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1233083' date='May 16 2011, 02:26 PM']Sore fret fingers. Sorta hoping they are going to go away soon... The soreness, not the fingers. The latter could make playing even more difficult.

Q - got standard out-of-the-box roundwounds on the VMJ. Would Flats make things more comfortable? Or should I just man-up?[/quote]

D'Addario Chromes are definitely more comfortable. But yes, you should suffer for your art.

[quote name='Ross' post='1232881' date='May 16 2011, 11:48 AM']Personally?
Marshall amps, the ones I've tried have been dreadful[/quote]

And yet I love the sound of mine (B150 combo and a DBS7400). To my ear sounds far better than some Markbass stuff I've tried recently.

Vive la difference!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='largo' post='1233013' date='May 16 2011, 01:35 PM']What is it with Ashdown, I actually found mine to be great.[/quote]
Same here.
Had a ABM C110 300 watt combo & it was fantastic - clear as a bell & totally reliable.

The Trace Elliot I used to own (very early one with the black painted wooden case) was crap - really unreliable & didn't sound that good either.