Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Josh' post='273821' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:53 AM'][u][/u]ADDITIONAL COMMENTS LEFT BY MOWAC IN PARENTHESES
P-Basses: They're ugly, always have been and always will be, the tone is just heartless and does nothing for me, they are complete sods to play, uncomfortable in any position and just really really bug me. (I hate P-basses, one dull boring sound ALL the time.)

Stingrays, Sterlings and Bongo's: The same as above, but I'll add that Bongo's really don't justify their own hype.
(Bongos are made out of basswood. Excuse me? If I'm going to pay what they want for a Bongo, it's going to be made out of something much better than basswood)

Rickenbackers: Awful instruments, the sound is off-putting, the looks are just nasty, and is the most uncomfortable bass I've ever played.

Ibanez's: Souless and boring, they just feel like they're created by robots.
(Ibanez are about as generic as an 8-pack of toilet paper)

Peavey's: (Quality is way over-rated, every one I've ever played wasn't worth e-mailing home about.)

Warwick Dolphins, Corvettes, Vampyres, Strykers, Buzzards, Infinities: The worst of the Warwick family.
(Warwicks are like trying to play a huge tree branch with strings and they never sounded all that great to me)

(Spectors-The bodies are too small. No sustain)

Fernandes: The same as Ibanez but more expensive.

Traben: Just eww. (This bass is nothing but hype, the body is about as useless as a Spector)

Thunderbirds, Explorers, Flying-V's, SG's etc... and all "Cool" vintage basses: They all sound and play horrible, everytime.
(Couldn't agree more)

Ritters: Different but fail to amaze.
(Looks like a luthier's wet dream)[/quote]

Edited by Mowac

Tube pre amps!!! in Hybrid amps... 98% of 'ema re USELESS

Fender Deluxe P's- with the H pup in bridge- HATE em from experience

Fizzy bass Fuzz/OD's

I DONT Agree with- Tube amps=- I found that a tube POWER amp actually ADDs Booty & MOJO ;-) Sorry... guts that 95% of SS or Hybrids CANNOT duplicate no matter WHAT the wattage!! I've tried & THATS MY opinion.
Also dont agree w/ Warwicks.. Love my $$!!! And My 'Ray 5

Wow, after 33 pages is there anything left?

I love my valve hybrid, I have always used Rotosound Swing bass strings, I have an old Fender which is lovely, and I've seen fabulous bass players sounding fabulous with horrible sounds.

Excess gets to me. 15 string basses (are they still considered a bass?), walls of equipment, exotic woods used for nothing other than having them, opinions which can seemingly tell the difference between thin and thick finishes and multi-bass ownership (unless the person is a collector).

The biggest one for me, though, is the opposite to excess, its lazy bass players. I recommend going to see the Wilko Johnson band and learning from Norman Watt-Roy. I'm not talking about busy playing, rather imagination, intelligent thought about what sounds right for that bit of the piece and excellent technique.

Edited by 4 Strings

Winner - Most frustrating thread ever!

Overated gear is all over the show, if ten people like something, there are bound to five who don't!

I want to post my opinion here, without being bummed!

I like some Fenders, i own a good few.
I think the Ashdown, and Ampeg i've tried are sh*te.
Haven't played an Ibanez i've liked recently.

I'll be honest, i know this is a bit of fun, but i don't mind that some people on here would hate my gear, i'm sure their 6 string, headless, fretless, 36v circuit, spalted maple/graphite combo would sh*t on my afternoon.
I could probably play it without any worries, but i wouldn't want to be the subject of other musicians jokes.

Someone moaned earlier on here 'people who don't like 5's and 6's can't play or afford them'. I think there are cheap versions mate, an i'm sure most competant players would manage the 'extra' stuff without worry.
Trust me, i've heard very expensive sixers owned and played by some of the worst players. Get a grip.

Anyhow, my dads bigger than yours, ner.

[color="#000000"][size=2]any strings over 15 quid, a complete con
* Ampeg bass gear (three tone settings rock, rock and sh*te)
* gay basses like jaydee, status wal ect
* most high end bass cabs, you can have one built just as good for less than half the price
* Six string basses, for god sake get a guitar
* plectrum bass playing, clunk click clunk
* Rickenbackers, the worst sounding basses ever invented

[/size][/color]

[quote name='ianrunci' post='655072' date='Nov 15 2009, 11:18 AM'][color="#000000"][size=2]any strings over 15 quid, a complete con
* most high end bass cabs, you can have one built just as good for less than half the price

[/size][/color][/quote]

let me guess.......fender player

[quote name='ianrunci' post='655072' date='Nov 15 2009, 11:18 AM'][color="#000000"][size=2]any strings over 15 quid, a complete con

[/size][/color][/quote]

I have a couple of six string stati, my life partner is a Jaydee (see what I did there!), I love Rickenbackers & really enjoy (when appropriate) playing with a pick.

I don't suppose we will be going on a date!

But can you just help me lift my Bergantino into the car? :)

B

[/size][/color][/quote]

I think this is great....you can't ask someone their preferences and when they give them attack them ? otherwise what's the point of expressing an opinion if we were all meant to like the same things.

I've used some 'high end' gear and wondered what the attraction was but as a builder it would be churlish for me to mention those brands..... :)

[quote name='Prosebass' post='655308' date='Nov 15 2009, 05:52 PM']I think this is great....you can't ask someone their preferences and when they give them attack them ? otherwise what's the point of expressing an opinion if we were all meant to like the same things.

I've used some 'high end' gear and wondered what the attraction was but as a builder it would be churlish for me to mention those brands..... :)[/quote]

I'm like most people I like what i like, nobody has to agree thats the good thing about personal choice

As for it being a fender player, how in the world did you guess that, could it be the fender jazz in the photo? :rolleyes:

I dont get all of the posts bashing Rics because theyre expensive and have a long waiting list, and are rare second hand. If you want a Ric, thats how much they cost and thats how long you need to wait, otherwise get another brand. Its also unfair to expect cheaper copies, just because thats the way for Fender style guitars.

Stuff I dont like: bass players who believe everything Leo made is great and everything else is rubbish.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='655515' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:36 PM']It's official.....I own the best amp in the world, 34 pages and not one person has slagged of Acoustic amps! Thats the answer folks, sell all your expensive modern gear and scour ebay for cheap powerful 70's Acoustics![/quote]
The amps I always wanted to own but never got round to doing so.