Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

All the numerous fender clones, for one thing, certain manufacturers need to be slightly more original on the design front *cough*alleva coppolo, and is a £3k super jazz REALLY that much better than an £800 american fender? i get that it might be better, but is it really 2 grand better? And surely the things that make it 'better' are pretty much subjective anyway, such as feel and sound. For instance the nicest playing and sounding strat (i know, guitar) i've ever touched, was a classic vibe squier, and they're moddable anyway.
[/rant]

fenders... owned one, didn't see what the fuss was about, bought a warwick... heaven!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='545268' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:21 PM']Cannot stand small bodied bass guitars. It a bass, not a guitar.[/quote]
Can't stand large bodied bass guitars, they're supposed to be for playing, not wrestling with.

Hofner violin basses - would ANYONE have bothered with one of these horrendous pieces of sh*t if one of the bloody Beatles hadn't played one? I honestly don't think so.

Sunburst finishes, especially Fender sunburst finishes.
Black finishes*.
Candyapple red finishes.
Tortoiseshell scratchplates.

*Unless it's an all black Precision or Stingray with a maple fingerboard. I'll allow them. :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='budget bassist' post='545625' date='Jul 20 2009, 07:11 PM']For instance the nicest playing and sounding strat (i know, guitar) i've ever touched, was a classic vibe squier, and they're moddable anyway.[/quote]

The nicest two strats I've ever played were:

My current guitarist's '86 Squier.

My mate's bitsa strat, which is a mahogany body of unknown provenance he found in a shop once, and an '80s Tokai neck. I keep threatening to take it into my care if he doesn't clean it, the poor thing is covered in crap.

Any LEDs on a bass hahah! Its a bass!

Too many settings and controls on an amp...if you need to fiddle with it too much, its a sh*t amp, (note this is half just a joke).

(I do this next one)...thinking about great tone and striving really hard to get it..when all it takes is a little skill, a little patience, a non-complex bass and amp/cab. Should spend more time on practice and enjoying it! But...I kinda enjoy GAS sometimes.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='bubinga5' post='545273' date='Jul 20 2009, 01:25 PM']Sei Jazz 5; too many of these being sold here lately, guess they look great but are too clean and polite sounding unless you play in a jazz-fusion trio?>>>QUOTE

There is nothing overrated about a Sei Jazz![/quote]

Indeed, I play in jazz fusion trios from time to time and I like my bass to burp and fart like Rab C Nesbitt!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='545768' date='Jul 20 2009, 09:49 PM']Any LEDs on a bass hahah! Its a bass!

Too many settings and controls on an amp...if you need to fiddle with it too much, its a sh*t amp, (note this is half just a joke).

(I do this next one)...thinking about great tone and striving really hard to get it..[b]when all it takes is a little skill, a little patience, a non-complex bass and amp/cab[/b]. Should spend more time on practice and enjoying it! But...I kinda enjoy GAS sometimes.[/quote]

LED's: wait til you are old and your eyes are not so good .. then those tiny little Fender side marker dots just dissapear under stage lights and in the dark ...

oh and
"Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI"

:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='545879' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:36 PM']LED's: wait til you are old and your eyes are not so good .. then those tiny little Fender side marker dots just dissapear under stage lights and in the dark ...

oh and
"Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI"

:)[/quote]

Man I need quite powerful glasses! I hope they don't get too much worse. The laser option might come up soon! Although strangely theyve got better recently.

Sansamp is love/hate like marmite. Its the ultimate lightweight rig...I just took that and a bass/leads on tour last year...with all the normal other bits n bobs...but no amp/cab. We just didnt have the space.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='545887' date='Jul 20 2009, 11:41 PM']Man I need quite powerful glasses! I hope they don't get too much worse. The laser option might come up soon! Although strangely theyve got better recently.

Sansamp is love/hate like marmite. Its the ultimate lightweight rig...I just took that and a bass/leads on tour last year...with all the normal other bits n bobs...but no amp/cab. We just didnt have the space.[/quote]

When you are fumbling about looking for 9th position to start the bass intro to the next tune those little glowing markers are a god send :rolleyes:

I went for laser treatment but they can't fix what is wrong with my eyes .. :)

I know its all subjective (and very late/early, blame really bad insomnia!), but here is my personal list of things I don't rate, didn't take to and don't believe are the be all and end-all.

Don't think it was ever-rated, but the S1 switch on Jazz basses, for me, was pointless!

Don't like the Hartke cabs with the aluminium speaker cones, just never liked sounds I got from them. Very cutting and a lot of punch, some people like that, I found it almost to be excessive!

I tried a Wal, which while impressive I didn't think matched the hype that had been attached to it. Though the fact that they recently become so rare as to be almost mythical, probably puts hype at an unrealistic level, so I won't be harsh on it here.

The Jazz bass. Awesome for sure, I just don't like the way people seem to think that its impossible to play anything remotely complicated on anything other than some derivative of the J-bass.

Likewise, would I get killed if I said 8x10s in general? Albeit a good one is awesome, I just have never agreed that they are holy grail to rock bass. Don't like the way Ampeg almost consider it impossible to rock out without the 8x10!

The following items are everywhere in Glasgow and while I do think are a bit over-rated, but really I am just sick of the sight of them!

Ashdown Evo II 500 and Ampeg Svt 450. Decent amps but not great, but just about everybody is using them.

Boss ODB3 and Big Muff Pii for distorted bass. Everybody has distorted bass now.

Gibson Grabber/Ripper basses. So many guys in 'hardcore'-type bands playing these with afore-mentioned pedals. I tried them, and could understand why they didn't sell originally.

Also, zero frets. They probably are a good idea, I'm just annoyed that my strings ended up eating a hole into the one on my Vigier after 5 years, leading me to have to send the bass away to get a new fret put in. I probably have found the reason for my insomnia though...

[quote name='old36' post='546601' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:40 PM']I was going to buy some new gear this weekend but I don't think I'll bother anymore!!! Perhaps I'll take up fly fishing.[/quote]

ha ha be prepared for hoooge GAS if you get into angling ....