Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='379659' date='Jan 13 2009, 08:53 PM']Its all sound. Theres more to a bass than sound, if it plays and looks awesome but its acoustics are crap, a pickup that ignores that, and just sounds good whetever its stuck in is going to be a good sounding pickup, and make a good sounding bass. Same pickup might totally waste your custom built to a thesis sized spec bass.[/quote]

There is no such thing as a pickup that can ignore the sound of the bass itself. The vibrations of the string that are picked up are entirely dependant on the resonant systems of the string, hardware, neck and body. I've discussed this at length in other posts and if you dismiss it thus:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='379906' date='Jan 14 2009, 01:37 AM']Indeed. I think all the "tone wood" theories are not as applicable on electric instuments where the majority of the tone is generated by string interacting with the pickup. Acoustic instruments on the other hand...[/quote]

then you aren't thinking hard enough. Yes, people get too bothered about the minutiae of tone but when you come across one of those basses where the neck just isn't stiff enough or the body is so dead that it only absorbs vibration and fails to return energy back to the string then whatever fancy pickup or electronics you put it you will not be able to get good tone.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='379980' date='Jan 14 2009, 09:19 AM']then you aren't thinking hard enough. Yes, people get too bothered about the minutiae of tone but when you come across one of those basses where the neck just isn't stiff enough or the body is so dead that it only absorbs vibration and fails to return energy back to the string then whatever fancy pickup or electronics you put it you will not be able to get good tone.

Alex[/quote]

Well obviously you need to have a stiff neck and a solid body... I was taking that as a given.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='380072' date='Jan 14 2009, 10:48 AM']Well obviously you need to have a stiff neck and a solid body... I was taking that as a given.[/quote]

Not so much a solid body as a body that resonates easily and doesn't have much self-damping. But the variations in how different bodies resonate and how rigid different necks are makes a really big difference to the sound of the instrument. One reason certain P-basses sound so good is they have a really strong stiff maple neck yet a light resonant body. Reduce the neck stiffness by reducing its cross-sectional-area or using a quicker grown piece of maple and increase the self-damping of the body by using a more resinous wood with a tighter growth pattern and the tone will change significantly.

One of the reasons people are willing to pay so much for a Sadowsky is that they have a really good understanding of which pieces of wood to use and where to use them and which should be kept for the furnace!

Along those lines the most over-rated basses have to be early Fenders because it's a matter of luck whether you get a gem or a lemon!

Alex

[quote name='ARGH' post='379425' date='Jan 13 2009, 06:00 PM'][quote name='tauzero' post='379062' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:30 PM']
There's no [b]need[/b] for six-string basses. They have a niche. Most bassists can live without reaching into that niche.[/quote]
Is that a wheelie bin in the corner of your classroom?
[/quote]
I do believe you're confused by the fact that I have said that there is no [b]need[/b] for a six-string bass. If you look very carefully at my sig, you will see that I own several five-strings, one six-string, and one seven-string bass. If you think very carefully about the English words that I have used, or perhaps use a dictionary, you may come to a correct conclusion about their meaning.

;)

[quote name='Rich' post='377570' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:29 PM']Problem with Nathan East, or his choice of kit? ;)[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='377574' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:35 PM']I wonder if Prince Harry has a friendly nickname for Nathan East.

I love Nathan East's playing and his signature bass is awesome. I'm not too big a fan of the bridge pieces though. I just wish he had a signature 6 like the one he actually uses. Still reckon white basses are the ultimate stage basses. Will get another one one day.

His kit - if memory serves me right, is currently Avalon, and Aggie. Not too shabby if you ask me.

His parametric EQ is pretty useful piece of kit for the price. Alot better than some of the BS put out by these big name companies.

Plus he co-wrote Easy Lover.

Dont know about anybody else... but I'm a fan![/quote]

It's just the corporate-whoreness about it all. I mean re. the NE-1 which the blurb said 'he never plays or records without it', but then he's endorsing Aphex pedals, then he's straight onto endorsing the PJB Bassbuddy. Does he believe in and use all this gear?

TBF if any bass (and/or bass related) companies wanted to pay me for using their products I'd rip their arms off.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='380138' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:48 AM']It's just the corporate-whoreness about it all. I mean re. the NE-1 which the blurb said 'he never plays or records without it', but then he's endorsing Aphex pedals, then he's straight onto endorsing the PJB Bassbuddy. Does he believe in and use all this gear?

TBF if any bass (and/or bass related) companies wanted to pay me for using their products I'd rip their arms off.[/quote]

True - he gets everwhere. The NE-1 is build into his bass... so strictly speaking, he doesn't play or record without it... The Aphex stuff, well, that's just random stuff... and the PJB Bassbuddy, God only knows what he uses that for.

I'd say he doesn't believe in any of it. It just works and he enjoys the paycheck.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='380112' date='Jan 14 2009, 11:23 AM']Not so much a solid body as a body that resonates easily and doesn't have much self-damping. But the variations in how different bodies resonate and how rigid different necks are makes a really big difference to the sound of the instrument. One reason certain P-basses sound so good is they have a really strong stiff maple neck yet a light resonant body. Reduce the neck stiffness by reducing its cross-sectional-area or using a quicker grown piece of maple and increase the self-damping of the body by using a more resinous wood with a tighter growth pattern and the tone will change significantly.

One of the reasons people are willing to pay so much for a Sadowsky is that they have a really good understanding of which pieces of wood to use and where to use them and which should be kept for the furnace!

Along those lines the most over-rated basses have to be early Fenders because it's a matter of luck whether you get a gem or a lemon!

Alex[/quote]

Yeah, a wobbleboard isn't the greatest foundation for a bass. I understand what you are saying. I think I need to clarify...

We need a solid neck.

We need a stiff body with as uniform wood as possible that can resonate freely.

Right, that's cleared that up. Bet you with the right table, the right pickups and a few strings (and bridge and hardware for all the pedants) I could make a table sound as good as a bass.

Fender are over-rated full stop.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='380170' date='Jan 14 2009, 12:23 PM']Yeah, a wobbleboard isn't the greatest foundation for a bass. I understand what you are saying. I think I need to clarify...

We need a solid neck.

We need a stiff body with as uniform wood as possible that can resonate freely.

Right, that's cleared that up. Bet you with the right table, the right pickups and a few strings (and bridge and hardware for all the pedants) I could make a table sound as good as a bass.

[size=5]Fender are over-rated full stop.[/size][/quote]

This.

+1 for Roto strings and Ernieball strings. Elixer coated strings are just horrible.

Cant stand marshall or ashdown amps. Not too keen on warwick amps although I do own one!

Not a fan of! any Boss pedal I've tried. Agree that Fenders are overpriced but still want one.

Its been a while since I played it but loved the nathan east sig bass.

Not a fan of Genz Benz or Markbass or Ampeg ;)

Just curious CJBASS which Genz Benz amps you've tried (not having a go my friend ;) ). It's just that I've got a GBE 750 and it is without doubt the best sounding, most versatile, most well made amp I've ever tried / owned. I realise it's probably a case of each to his own etc but I think Genz Benz are probably the most under rated product out there.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='382913' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:37 PM']If they/were good enough for. John Paul Jones, Jaco, Steve Harris, John Entwistle.Leo Lyons,James Jamerson,Carol Kaye, WOT. I could go on and on but you get what i'm saying i think.[/quote]

Different era of Fender or Custom Shop. You can't go into a shop and pick up a Fender like the one that James Jamerson picked up...

[quote name='CJBASS' post='383644' date='Jan 17 2009, 11:29 PM']+1 for Roto strings and Ernieball strings. Elixer coated strings are just horrible.

Cant stand marshall or ashdown amps. Not too keen on warwick amps although I do own one!

Not a fan of! any Boss pedal I've tried. Agree that Fenders are overpriced but still want one.

Its been a while since I played it but loved the nathan east sig bass.

Not a fan of Genz Benz or Markbass or Ampeg ;)[/quote]

Played a gig through an Ashdown amp last week. Spent the whole time stressed out because there was just zero definition.

I played the W&T Spectrum through a Genz Benz at Bass Day and I'm not sure whether it was the Genz or the Berg cabs but I absolutely hated the rig, it was as far away from my thing as it's possible to get. The bass was great though. However what people need to remember is that any bit of kit played by them may not sound the same as it does when someone else uses it; of course many of us are after different sounds anyway, but the first point is very important.

With regards to wood, electronics etc, my Rics all sound different acoustically (I'm using them as an example because they're essentially the same bass), and amplified they sound like amplified versions of how they sound acoustically, which to me is how it should be.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='beerdragon' post='382913' date='Jan 16 2009, 11:37 PM']If they/were good enough for. John Paul Jones, Jaco, Steve Harris, John Entwistle.Leo Lyons,James Jamerson,Carol Kaye, WOT. I could go on and on but you get what i'm saying i think.[/quote]

But at the time when those players originally chose to use those basses there wasn't really much competition. Had these people started their musical careers in the late 70s I think the picture would have been quite a lot different. Also JPJ and Entwistle moved on to different basses. If Fender were that good surely that would never have happened?

• 6 months later...

people obsessing about frequencies and tones and other such sh*te that only belong in the communication abilities of bats and whales.

people who forget that live music and being a musician is far more about performance and entertainment than it is about being note perfect and having perfect tone and blah blah blah.complete pish.

people slagging stuff off.even if they've never used it,or only used it for 3 minutes in a music shop.or because its cool to slag something off.

people who dont have their own opinion on their own gear.and rely on others.

smug bassists.

people whose attitudes and opinions on gear/tone/other peoples more knowledgeable opinions, far exceed any ability they have as a performer.or ever will have.

people who forget that playing an instrument or being in a band is meant to be fun.a release from boring daily life for most of us.not a f***ing science project.

......oh..and caravans. they're just nonsense. :)

ha ha

good fun

agree on Gibson basses... play and sound like planks, ditto Rickenbackers

now, if you were talking guitars, then that can be another story..

How can they get things so right and then SOOOO wrong..?

also, I don't get the quick-fire sale on certain things on here...
some kit has had more BC owners than... ?????