Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Oscar South' post='373658' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:12 PM']Graphite basses, I like that every wooden bass has a subtly unique tone; to hell with carbon copy instruments... takes the fun and mystery out of the craft.[/quote]

Yep.Warps,bows,dead spots...love 'em. :)

Paint.......It chips off,and looks sh*t,cheap,and crap.

People that pay oodles of cash for a custom instrument,and then choose Maple body,maple top,Maple/Rosewood neck.what a f***ing waste of money and time.

2 band eq's....UTTER UTTER sh*t..You f***ing need Mid.

People that cant see the need for 6 string bass's,TRY one.......really try,and if you cant play it you are a thickie and deserve to stay in the remedial class and learn how to make tea with the rest of life mental failures...yeah thats you..your Auntie Jean,and a wheelie bin.

[quote name='ARGH' post='373679' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:32 PM']Paint.......It chips off,and looks sh*t,cheap,and crap.

People that pay oodles of cash for a custom instrument,and then choose Maple body,maple top,Maple/Rosewood neck.what a f***ing waste of money and time.

[size=4][b]2 band eq's....UTTER UTTER sh*t..You f***ing need Mid.[/b][/size]

People that cant see the need for 6 string bass's,TRY one.......really try,and if you cant play it you are a thickie and deserve to stay in the remedial class and learn how to make tea with the rest of life mental failures...yeah thats you..your Auntie Jean,and a wheelie bin.[/quote]

What a load of tosh. I assume your amp has some form of mid control? Well use it! I've hated every 3 band EQ I have ever had, 2 band maximum!

[quote name='slapmonsta' post='373669' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:24 PM']Yep.Warps,bows,dead spots...love 'em. :)[/quote]

Yeah, I love the dead spot on my fretless P, right on 7th fret G string, and the neck being most likely older than I am is a little uneven, so you can't get the action ultra low like a graphite bass.

However, the tone is unique and incredible, I could pick it out of a blind lineup of 100, it looks absolutely amazing, its got the nicest feel of any bass I've played and you can get a really low tension with a medium action and no buzz anywhere, plus a little vibrato on the dead spot and you can barely tell it's there at all.

Oh and I agree with ARGH's points about ERBs and active EQs.

Just because the bass might have graphite doesn't mean the sound wouldn't be unique or the bass won't have any character. The wood makes an even bigger difference when paired with a graphite neck in my experience.

Active Eq's are good I think - always have mine bypassed but why not have the extra control if you need.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='373685' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:36 PM']What a load of tosh. I assume your amp has some form of mid control? Well use it! I've hated every 3 band EQ I have ever had, 2 band maximum![/quote]
Sometimes you have to do a gig and you dont have a choice what amp you have...some rooms are just boomy and crap,others are bright and harsh,in some genres the guitar (read Metal) sucks everything out,and you have to fight back with mid,plus Mids give the patented ARGH Distortomatic thud..Its why Im better than you,I dont need a ryth guitard in any band..and I rule the world. I dont want to be playing a gig where I cant hear what the f*** Im playing as I walk round the room wireless attached.

You need mid to play Metal,you need mid to play Bass,end of.

Bass and mid...great, the one I hardly use is treble, also the neck pick up of a jazz bass bugs me, same for the tone control. Instrument stands....I always step on them, Markbass keeper is the business. People who use fans on stage drive me insane.....sweating is best.

I have to admit, every Ashdown product I've ever owned - 3 amp heads and 2 cabs have either burned out or sounded very muddy.

SX basses - they really aren't that good - just about ok for the money.

Brand snobbery - of which I suppose I'm also guilty of :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='373709' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:59 PM']Sometimes you have to do a gig and you dont have a choice what amp you have...some rooms are just boomy and crap,others are bright and harsh,in some genres the guitar (read Metal) sucks everything out,and you have to fight back with mid,plus Mids give the patented ARGH Distortomatic thud..Its why Im better than you,I dont need a ryth guitard in any band..and I rule the world. I dont want to be playing a gig where I cant hear what the f*** Im playing as I walk round the room wireless attached.

You need mid to play Metal,you need mid to play Bass,end of.[/quote]

You're a guitarist and I claim my £5

On board active eq's. Why are they there? I know a lot of bassists use tone controls but does it have to be on-board? A lot use compression, but you don't see that on-board too many basses.

Cabs/combos with tweeters.

Fender style headstocks (except the Tele' style).

Guitards who think the bassists job is just to pump out root notes in every song.

Bassists who think their job is to slap at 100000000nph in every song.

Any bass with a slab body.Too painful on the forearm.
Wearing a bass so low that you can't fret properly.
Wearing a bass so high that it's under your chin.
Warwick $$.Bloody heavy.
Bass overdrive.
People who play better than me.
Oh f**k,I'm outnumbered!

[quote name='ARGH' post='373709' date='Jan 7 2009, 11:59 PM']Sometimes you have to do a gig and you dont have a choice what amp you have...some rooms are just boomy and crap,others are bright and harsh,in some genres the guitar (read Metal) sucks everything out,and you have to fight back with mid,plus Mids give the patented ARGH Distortomatic thud..[b]Its why Im better than you[/b],I dont need a ryth guitard in any band..and I rule the world. I dont want to be playing a gig where I cant hear what the f*** Im playing as I walk round the room wireless attached.

You need mid to play Metal,you need mid to play Bass,end of.[/quote]

OK I've read what you said but I ask again; does your amp (borrowed, stolen or otherwise) have tone controls inc a mid of some kind? I agree that mids are vital in getting many decent tones but I've yet to find an amp that hasn't got some form of control for the mids, in which case use 'them' to add mid/cut bass/tweak treble... you don't NEED to have mid on your [s]bass[/s] guitar! :huh:

... or is it that I'm really better than you as I can manage to do it in a 3 piece band without resorting to extra mid EQ onboard my bass! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:54 PM' post='374376']
OK I've read what you said but I ask again; does your amp (borrowed, stolen or otherwise) have tone controls inc a mid of some kind? I agree that mids are vital in getting many decent tones but I've yet to find an amp that hasn't got some form of control for the mids, in which case use 'them' to add mid/cut bass/tweak treble... you don't NEED to have mid on your [s]bass[/s] guitar! :huh:

... or is it that I'm really better than you as I can manage to do it in a 3 piece band without resorting to extra mid EQ onboard my bass! :)

I dont trust heads to get a sound,the way one head sounds and needs to be set up,is gonna be totally different from the next maker...then throw the room in,where in the room Im set up,what surface and crowd number....then theres the throw a 6 soundman....

Seeing as I made most of my money was made playing functions work,one tone,onstage is silly....I set the heads flat,they are there for volume and distortion,nothing else..then I let the onboard sculpt the sound to the room...in one guitar bands,Ive a ton of room to fill,Mid gives me the ability to fill the bits up between Bass,Keys and Guitar....I like an Entwistlesque sound,and the Butler crunch.

Irony being one of my fave tones was my P-Bass,passive.But I loved my Status hybrid thingy (Thats now playing Deathmetal in Poland) that had a Mark King Mid boost attached...great for 'Wont get fooled again'.crank the pre-amps mid and the sizzle and thud was earthshaking.

Alone it,the tone as a noise,sounds f***ing awful,get the rest of the band going around,and its an awesome bass tone...Distortomatic. YOU need mid for the range for a 6 string..its range is to big for just BASS/TREBLE...you need the mid,let the guitar do the tone,let the amp make the volume...less gain more volume,better tone,better distortion.

Edited by ARGH

My three

1. Fender Custom Shop Jaco Pastorius tribute/relic Jazz. Less a tribute than an insult. Also Fender active electronics. How do they manage to get their 21st Century active basses to send less toneful and punchy than their '70s passive basses?

2. Aphex Puch Factory. It doesn't punch and it isn't a factory. Where's Trading Standards when you need them?

3a. People who moan about Fender manufacturing relic basses.
3b. People who own Fender relic basses :)

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Delberthot' post='372027' date='Jan 6 2009, 02:30 PM']people who play 6+ string basses in rock bands

Spalted maple tops - yes I'd like to have some overpriced crap that looks like OSB put on the top of my bass and I'd like you to charge me one squillion pounds for it.[/quote]
Funnily enough, I got a spalted maple Spector 6-string in the summer and gigged it with Chainsaw and got more positive feedback in those four gigs from the audience than I have probably had for the last four years. [i]Then this Māori sounding guy hypnotised me and turned it in to a five string Spector [/i]:)

What's OSB anyway?