Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Josh' post='275122' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:30 AM']May I present, Brian Fox:

I advise that there should be no mugs/jugs/cups/vases/pint glasses of coffee near the monitor or keyboard whilst watching.[/quote]
:huh:

Thanks Josh - that was hilarious!

I kept flicking the clips backwards and forwards and it sounded like he was playing the same riff at each point so I hate to think what a whole gig of it would sound like. :)

He looks like the bass playing equivalent of The Big Lebowski; imagine Jeff Bridges playing a sad loser of a bluesman/bassplayer frontman who doesn't realise just how awful he and his band is?? But as the saying goes, truth is always stranger than fiction and it looks like Brian Fox is proof of that!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='275971' date='Sep 3 2008, 01:06 AM']P-basses, ugly as sin, horrible to play, sound like mud, everything i'd never want in a bass.[/quote]
But Brian Fox plays one. And Scott Thunes. And John McCoy. And Rob Wright. And Steve Harris. Why did I buy a bloody Jazz? Jazzes, that's it - totally over-rated if you ask me.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='276048' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:48 AM']But Brian Fox plays one. And Scott Thunes. And John McCoy. And Rob Wright. And Steve Harris. Why did I buy a bloody Jazz? Jazzes, that's it - totally over-rated if you ask me.[/quote]

Hey Caisley.

I particularly like your track 'Chicken'... less said about 'Poo' the better :)

[quote name='ruztiwarren' post='275931' date='Sep 2 2008, 11:42 PM']I've seen ads for .......... and axes (the chopping, pillaging kind, single and double headed for maximum 'slaying' power). What the hell is that all about? Strangely enough though, I've never seen any such basses in guitar shops. Where do they all go?[/quote]

Into [i]my[/i] collection....! :) lol!

Edited by cetera

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='275987' date='Sep 3 2008, 07:36 AM']Yeh - but they depreciate like a rock. An old TRB for a couple of hundred quid starts to look like a good deal.[/quote]

someone on here is selling an rbx765 for only 150ish....beautiful bass, absolute steal! too bad i bought my yamaha new - it's worth about a fiver :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='276030' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:18 AM']Overpriced, silly snake oil claims, dubious business practices, and the oversized 1/4" plugs have a horrible habit of breaking jack sockets.

Alex[/quote]

my personal favorite was when they released two instrument cables, one for "jazz" and one for "rock". All else aside, a good cable should be competely transparent...

...but i suppose i should stop now, before they SUE me for something, like they have everyone else...:huh:

[quote name='cetera' post='276103' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:01 AM']Into [i]my[/i] collection....! :) lol![/quote]

It comforts me to know that there's someone in the world, apart from Gene Simmons, who has more than one axe-shaped bass in their collection.

More instruments that are shaped as things that aren't instruments, I say!

Bodyless basses (eg. Hohner B2, Steinberger cricket bats). Completely the wrong body shape for those of us of A Certain Shape.

Bowlback acoustics (incl. basses). Even worse for those of us of A Certain Shape, just try balancing beach balls on top of each other and you'll get my drift.

[quote name='tauzero' post='276963' date='Sep 4 2008, 01:30 PM']Bodyless basses (eg. Hohner B2, Steinberger cricket bats). Completely the wrong body shape for those of us of A Certain Shape.[/quote]

I have a Hohner B2 and I'm of The Other Shape (think John Cooper Clarke); it's completely the wrong body shape for me too ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ped' post='276870' date='Sep 4 2008, 12:27 PM']I am living the dream as we speak :0)[/quote]

That makes two of us... yay.

I love this thread and I can only +1 to:

GAS
Ashdown
Yamaha
Rotosound (YUK!)
Ampeg
Anything made by Warwick since 1990

A couple of my own:

Spectre basses
er....(ducks) Foderas

But I'll have to disagree with the Sei Jazz basses - as first off I've just ordered one :) - and secondly they don't have to sound 'clean and polite' - I'm sure they can sound downright rude and nasty if you want them to - it's all in the fingers...

Cheers

M