Why become a member? ×

What's the most over-rated bass, or bass related product???

silverfoxnik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='582451' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:02 PM']'Boutique' practice amps... :)

E.g. 'Eden Nemesis' EN-8 Micro Practice Amp...

Not that I've got anything against Eden stuff as I use it for my main rig but for home practicing, what's the point??[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, anything over £150 for a practice amp is too much IMO.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='581381' date='Aug 26 2009, 08:50 AM']Try a BBNE2 and say that.[/quote]

Sorry mate. I don't play 5-string basses so I wouldn't know. I just didn't care for the factory pickups as they sounded very 'thin and hollow'.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnzgerman

orange bass cabs, possibly the worst cabs that wernt home made ive ever played through, oh and that nasty bright orange stuff comes off them if you so much as brush past it let alone load it in and out of a van/venue on a regular basis.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='592248' date='Sep 7 2009, 05:13 PM']rickenbacker nostalgia ...vomit!

this also includes any oldies which seem to GAS to death our sensible brothers[/quote]

Rickenbacker? :lol: I love my 4001 to bits, and it has the loveliest low action :)

Horses for courses I guess :rolleyes:

[quote name='retroman' post='592391' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:39 PM']Rickenbacker? :lol: I love my 4001 to bits, and it has the loveliest low action :)
Horses for courses I guess :rolleyes:[/quote]

i loved my 4003 as well...and the action was swell...but so was the action on all my basses..i set them up myself

when you mention horses do you mean one trick pony...like my P

no offence but really there are far more advanced designs around which are used...and i dont like the look of the rick
thats why i sold mine :lol:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='578008' date='Aug 23 2009, 02:40 AM']side LED's. What's the point? Front ones on the board do the same job and have better posing potential for the punters :)[/quote]

ha ha YMMV but I never look a the front markers on my basses, well not when I'm playing them anyway. The side LED's are subtle but still let me know where I am starting a toon when I'm playing in the dark..

So my nomination, that I may have made before on this vry long lived thread, is front LEDs: totally useless unless you are Mark King or The Hamsters doing ZZ Top where the purpose seems to be for posing and getting the audience to go "ooooooooohhhhhh"

I've just discovered this thread & was really surprised that Rickenbackers haven't had as much of a slagging as they have. It's not that their basses are bad (although it's definitely a Marmite love/hate thing), it's difficult to understand whether they are good enough to justify the price. A standard build 4003 currently retails for around £1,699 & there's a waiting list of up to 12 months to get one if you can't find a shop that hasn't coincidentally ordered the one you want on spec a year in advance. I just don't get it...

On the other hand, if you try to sell something vaguely resembling a Rick on eBay they'll be on to you faster than a burning whippet - they need to spend less time on the internet protecting their patents & more time on the factory floor doing some graft if you ask me!

B.

[quote name='bentdice' post='592552' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:26 PM']I've just discovered this thread & was really surprised that Rickenbackers haven't had as much of a slagging as they have. It's not that their basses are bad (although it's definitely a Marmite love/hate thing), it's difficult to understand whether they are good enough to justify the price. A standard build 4003 currently retails for around £1,699 & there's a waiting list of up to 12 months to get one if you can't find a shop that hasn't coincidentally ordered the one you want on spec a year in advance. I just don't get it...

On the other hand, if you try to sell something vaguely resembling a Rick on eBay they'll be on to you faster than a burning whippet - they need to spend less time on the internet protecting their patents & more time on the factory floor doing some graft if you ask me!

B.[/quote]

So are you saying that they are underpriced rather than overrated?

I have to admit, Rickenbackers are starting to get very expensive, with the exchange rate, and all that... And there probably are better basses out there for the money :lol: The one thing that is a slight issue for me with my 4001 is the weight. I also think that the 12 month + waiting period as well, will put a lot of people off.

One bass I did feel dissapointed with is my USA Gibson Thunderbird. Had to wait five months for it to arrive, the set up out the box was rubbish, and the finish on the body has a lot of ripples, although has a very deep shine. I should point out the Gibson dealer I bought it off were very quick to sort out the issues I had over the set up, but I'm still not totally impressed with the finish....In fact, the nitro finish was still quite soft out the box, and where I had it sat across my knee, there is a slight imprint of my jeans in it. Not to mention it stunk the house out as well. And as for the case candy...Why do Gibson stick a booklet in there, all about their guitars, and barely makes any mention of their basses?

despite the above, I love the Thunderbird, it plays lovely now, and the tone is huge, and fat. Just what I wanted :rolleyes:

I still keep feeling tempted to send Gibson a snotty e-mail over the above issues though, as I think the guy who signed the QC tag for this bass, should be sacked :)

[quote name='bentdice' post='592552' date='Sep 7 2009, 11:26 PM']I've just discovered this thread & was really surprised that Rickenbackers haven't had as much of a slagging as they have. It's not that their basses are bad (although it's definitely a Marmite love/hate thing), it's difficult to understand whether they are good enough to justify the price. A standard build 4003 currently retails for around £1,699 & there's a waiting list of up to 12 months to get one if you can't find a shop that hasn't coincidentally ordered the one you want on spec a year in advance. I just don't get it...

B.[/quote]

Maybe they're limiting the market to keep the new prices artificially high? The thing that doesn't surprise me any more is the amount of high profile indie bands that have Rickenbacker endorsements; there's loads of the f***ers using them.

Valves and "tried and tested gear" are over rated. Digital amp modelling can replicate some of the most intricate of tones, it's almost a miracle, and yet without even bothering to open their ears and listen, half the gear-buying public immediately shout "NOTHING WILL EVER SOUND LIKE MY FENDER THROUGH AN ALL VALVE AMP".

B.[/quote]

+1 I'm building up a healthy dislike of Ricks after looking for one for under a grand for over a year. There is just no way I would consider spending more than that on a bass especially when you consider what else you can get for that money. Just a pity that I'm playing Lemmy basslines though !!!

[quote name='V4lve' post='592706' date='Sep 8 2009, 10:27 AM']And singers who are clearly not American singing with an American accent (or strange hybrids thereof).[/quote]

Yeah the transatlantic twang is certainly annoying although in fairness it was explained to me that if you are british its better to sing as if you had an American accent as they move their mouths more when they speak and this helps the singing voice . If that makes sense