Why become a member? ×

Audition Thief

gt4ever

Just a little rant. My band auditioned a new singer and keyboardist last week. Got them from the internet. At the end of the night one of them asks if they can help take any gear downstairs from the studio. Not thinking properly I pass one of my flight cases with all my guitar, power, cable leads, pedals and SM58 inside. Needless to say that I am that flight case missing and the said person's mobile is always straight to voicemail. Left a few messages over the week. Its a good £500 worth of stuff. Is it worth calling the police. I've only got a mobile number for him. But then I cant prove it and its probably long gone now. Do I just put it down to experience and warn others of this naive mistake? Not sure how to replace all my GK power leads and footswitches etc. It's such a pain and I'm out of action with no leads whatsoever!

Rich

Edited by gt4ever

if the guy used his mobile to contact you about the audition then i would contact the police and give them that number, chances are he is dumb enough that it is his own phone, any contact information etc.

regardless of how much it is, theft is theft, i'd give them a call, and if the rest of your band were there then they can act as witnesses surely?

Edited by RockfordStone

Can only afford to buy minimum to get get me up and running. One instrument cable, short speakon cable and power supply for my GK 550 fusion. Where would be best to get a power cable for the amp, I'm really clueless about it. Dont wanna blow up my little rig!

Rich

very nasty thing to do frankly awful

was the audition at a rehearsal studio? cctv maybe?

although thinking about it its very hard to prove ownership of a bag full of cables unless you have receipts for them all
or physical proof of the guy stealing them

in terms of you GK fusion

its just a standard IEC cable or (kettle lead) most hardware shops will sell them i would assume that its a 13amp fuse as most amps are and should be fine

Edited by Chrismanbass

Sorry to hear such a disheartening post. Which part of the country are you in? Just so no one else falls for the same trick. Where did they advertise as may have had to register to be part of some site? Any protection you can share may help others.

That really takes some beating, for someone to go through an audition and then walk off with stuff, beyond belief. Too late to go to the police now, but would be interesting to see if he is actively looking for a band - could set up another audition with a fake band and a mate's phone number and see if he applies?!

Does the GK just take standard power cables? I could stick you one in the post as I have a couple of spares.

I would definitely report it. If you don't have a try then you will have no chance at getting your stuff back. There is a slim chance he may still have some of the more obscure items that would be hard to shift. If so and the police find him in possession of them you can at least take some satisfaction in seeing him arrested.
Good luck in whatever course you take.

That is a new low, I've never heard of that in my life before. My sympathies are extended to you, and I hope you get your stuff back. I can only speak for Aberdeen but here the music community is a web of weel kent faces (well known faces, sorry lapsed into the local lingo there) so word would be bound to get around about this and the perpetrator known to someone.

He offered to take stuff down, came back to say goodbye and made a quick getaway. I'm down in East Kent, but it's a warning to others so you dont fall for this below the belt thievery. My SM58 was a week old too! I will report it, and found him on joinmy band so maybe I can track him down, still cant prove it though.

Rich

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428331642' post='2740283']
He offered to take stuff down, came back to say goodbye and made a quick getaway. I'm down in East Kent, but it's a warning to others so you dont fall for this below the belt thievery. My SM58 was a week old too! I will report it, and found him on joinmy band so maybe I can track him down, still cant prove it though.

Rich
[/quote]thats a filthy f***ing thing to do, I'm in SE Kent , give me his phone number.

I doubt he came with the express intention f nicking something. More like it was opportunistic.

Best case he took it down and left it by the car and someone else made off with it (I bet that'll be his excuse anyway).

A good reminder not to trust people you don't know. I don't let audience members onto the stage or help pack away at end of gigs.

Report it to the Police and get a crime number, then try contacting whoever runs Join my band. If they have any details of this slug they might be duty-bound to pass them on to the police as part of any investigations that are made.

Report it to the police, and report it to whatever site you got the initial contact from. Ask that they put up a post about this and provide the crime number so that they know it`s not just a bit of maliciousness. Provide the user details and mobile number to both, plus good description to the police. Rack your brains re any vehicles they used, any details of conversation/bands claimed to have been in etc.