Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

Pity, then, the poor concert cymbal player, sitting quietly near the back of the orchestra, counting the bars until the climax at the end, when he'll finally, at last, 'clash' his cymbals to close the piece. You bassists don't know you've got it made. :P

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422625801' post='2674771']
Why all the negativity for All Right Now?

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, crowds still love it 45 years. Surely that says something?

I can't help suspecting that there is a bit of musical snobbery going on here i.e:

"It's a successful song that people like, therefore it must be naff, and quite definitely below me. I'm so much more sophisticated than that".

If you're playing at home then fine, but if you're playing out in a (non tribute) covers band, then you need to play what people want to hear - and an awful lot of people want to hear All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Johhny B. Goode etc.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have written any of those three examples.
[/quote]

I reckon this has got something to do with the guitar part- it's one of those very easy to play songs, but actually quite difficult to get "just" right. I've seen it done with guitarists playing just A and D barre chords, and it grates me (and I'm not easy to grate). Even then it went down well with the crowd

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1422625801' post='2674771']
Why all the negativity for All Right Now?

To repeat what I said in an earlier post, crowds still love it 45 years. Surely that says something?

I can't help suspecting that there is a bit of musical snobbery going on here i.e:

"It's a successful song that people like, therefore it must be naff, and quite definitely below me. I'm so much more sophisticated than that".

If you're playing at home then fine, but if you're playing out in a (non tribute) covers band, then you need to play what people want to hear - and an awful lot of people want to hear All Right Now, Mustang Sally, Johhny B. Goode etc.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have written any of those three examples.
[/quote]

Smack on!

I have no problem playing this or Sweet Home Alabama or Mustang Sally or Brown-eyed Girl etc.
If its what the crowd want then its our job to provide it.
This is probably why there are musicians sitting at home noodling instead of gigging.
"I,m not playing that! its beneath me!" they quoth.

For me, this tune is all about the vocal performance.If you have an average vocalist it'll sound very average. But a great vocalist can really push the song into greatness. Lots of tunes can be sung by average singers and can still sound decent enough. This tune is raw enough to need a great singer.

Bass in verses is out. Just stand and move like you're enjoying yourself. Pretty simple really.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1422643723' post='2675147']
I have no problem playing this or Sweet Home Alabama or Mustang Sally or Brown-eyed Girl etc.
If its what the crowd want then its our job to provide it.
This is probably why there are musicians sitting at home noodling instead of gigging.
"I,m not playing that! its beneath me!" they quoth.
[/quote]
I won't play it,not because it's beneath me or any crap like that, but because I think it's a sh*t song.
my band gets plenty of gigs so the alternatives we play must be as valid or, dare I say it, even better.
Some were even written this century.
Let me posit the argument that the younger audience aren't drinking in pubs so much because all they ever hear is alright now, mustang Sally and Johnny b good, getting thraped.
Time to move on.
; )

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1422536478' post='2673780']
As the title says really... Trying to think of something better to do than standing about or swigging my beer. What do you do?
[/quote]

Drink beer
Pull faces at the drummer/guitarist/singers
Check out the ladies of the audience
Tune up*
Dance about badly

*and sometimes I forget to unmute the bass when we get to the chorus 😳

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1422664889' post='2675529']

I won't play it,not because it's beneath me or any crap like that, but because I think it's a sh*t song.
my band gets plenty of gigs so the alternatives we play must be as valid or, dare I say it, even better.
Some were even written this century.
Let me posit the argument that the younger audience aren't drinking in pubs so much because all they ever hear is alright now, mustang Sally and Johnny b good, getting thraped.
Time to move on.
; )
[/quote]

I agree.Having grown up ( theoretically) in the 70s with these cover band standards. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend an evening in the pub or throw shapes at a wedding to a bunch of middle aged blokes cranking out these songs again because "thats what people want". Why, because I play in bands, should I have any more of a discerning palate and aversion to hearing the same old stuff to the people at the bar/on the dancefloor. Surely quite a few of them are nuts about music too and that's why they're in a boozer with a live band. It strikes me as patronising and a bit arrogant to assume that people will be dissapointed if they go a whole evening without hearing Brown Eyed Girl or All Right Now. Oh and I can play both bass parts exactly as the original, but prefer not too. ��

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1422637605' post='2675030']
Smile politely. I'm very much in the John Entwistle school of stage presence (which, I hasten to add, is subtly different from the Bill Wyman school)
[/quote]

I thought the Bill Wyman school was where he got his girlfriends.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1422721279' post='2676054']
So do I, but I still like All Right now. :D
[/quote]

I'm actually watching it on Youtube right now :D

Every now and again I like to watch the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival version. It's hilarious and makes me feel much better about my own guitar playing :D

Granted Paul and Andy are as cool as f***...in context :D