Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1422831594' post='2677421']
What irks me most about this insistence of bands covering turgid, dull, old man rock is that it means missing out on literally thousands of really great songs.

I wish we had more of a tradition of "top 40" bands in this country. At any point in time there are dozens of great songs in the charts which would be awesome fun to play and would go down well pretty much anywhere.

But alas we can't because some doddery old granddad always asks for Sweet Home Alabama!

:D
[/quote]

Anyone would think we only play All Right Now 30 times in one night and have no other material. :crazy:

I did a survey here just before Christmas. Only a few of us on the forum play it.

In fact contrary to the popular belief amongst us, there's hundreds of songs we all play with little crossover. If we all played the same 30 songs that would be different.

When we play it people sing along. They don't walk out the pub. That indicates to me thaf they enjoy hearing it.

Don't forget we're musicians playing probably the same set every week for a few months. That would give anyone quite a skewed view of some tunes.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1422917019' post='2678474']
I like to wildly flail around in an Ian Curtis fashion until my I'll fitting trousers fall to the floor and then masturbate furiously until the chorus.
One day someone will notice the bass player :)
[/quote]
See, if you'd said that earlier we could have saved a lot of typing.

I know this thread has morphed into an All Right Now bashing exercise...which is fine by me...but let's not forget all the other dull, dim, dirgey(sp?) dad rock out there!

The real crux of the matter is that I can't find a band that will let me play the right mix of J-pop/rock, Luther Vandross, current chart stuff and film soundtracks :(

That's not too much to ask is it? Is it? IS IT?

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1422918840' post='2678506']
I know this thread has morphed into an All Right Now bashing exercise...which is fine by me...
...but let's not forget all the other dull, dim, dirgey (sp?) dad rock out there!
[/quote]

You're right, of course. So in the interests of fairness and parity, I list the following songs: If your band covers them, it's minus ten points; if you WANT to cover them, it's minus twenty points; and if you do five of them (or more) in your set, it's PLUS a million points... :D

Free Bird
More Than A Feeling
Daddy Cool
Sweet Child 'O Mine
Start Me Up
Down Down
Money For Nothing
Summer Of '69
We Will Rock You
Radar Love...

and...

Mustang Sally.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422919429' post='2678514']
If you're not in a band that regularly plays them, you should be happy! :)
[/quote]

Yay! :D

Except it means no band at all :(

Actually I think it's all over for me. I don't want to play dad rock. And I don't to play music for that pissed up middle aged twat who manhandles all the women in a misguided attempt to get them to dance at every gig.

There's much to be said for attempting an authentic Andy Fraser TOTP approach to this IMO.

He rocked backwards and forwards in a very gentle manner looking vaguely towards the ceiling with a facial expression as if contemplating the meaning of life with his arms crossed against the upper bout of his EB3 - if he had been smoking a pipe it would not have looked out of place - the perfect counter to Simon Kirk blowing his hair away from his face on beats 1 and 3, Paul Kossoff's guitar faces and Paul Rogers front man singing.

It has to be said they looked a little out of place surrounded by teenage girls on that show - in stark contrast to their normal audiences of mainly long haired make musos at that time.

The one thing you must not do (and I must say I've transgressed once or twice or more over the years) is to come in on the wrong note owing to daydreaming in the verses and worse still to have a mental aberration and actually forget how to play the high G and D pattern correctly - it sounds quite bizarre backwards. Worse still trying to improvise as in the version off Free's live version and getting those G and D chords in the wrong order after the guitar solo.

Classic song which suffers from terminal over exposure unfortunately - as will any song which got to number 1 or thereabouts and includes a classic guitar solo. I can think of several others ....

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1422923808' post='2678563']
There's much to be said for attempting an authentic Andy Fraser TOTP approach to this IMO.

He rocked backwards and forwards in a very gentle manner looking vaguely towards the ceiling with a facial expression as if contemplating the meaning of life with his arms crossed against the upper bout of his EB3 - if he had been smoking a pipe it would not have looked out of place - the perfect counter to Simon Kirk blowing his hair away from his face on beats 1 and 3, Paul Kossoff's guitar faces and Paul Rogers front man singing.

It has to be said they looked a little out of place surrounded by teenage girls on that show - in stark contrast to their normal audiences of mainly long haired make musos at that time.

[/quote]

Ooh I remember this well, and have just come over all unecessary. :gas:
I was one of those teenage girls who genuined loved them (unlike the teeny boppers at TOTP who were forced to look enthusiastic by the floor managers). I had a poster on my wall that I got free with Jackie magazine, in one of said magazine's rare moments of cool. B)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422919158' post='2678510']
You're right, of course. So in the interests of fairness and parity, I list the following songs: If your band covers them, it's minus ten points; if you WANT to cover them, it's minus twenty points; and if you do five of them (or more) in your set, it's PLUS a million points... :D

Free Bird
More Than A Feeling
Daddy Cool
Sweet Child 'O Mine
Start Me Up
Down Down
Money For Nothing
Summer Of '69
We Will Rock You
Radar Love...

and...

Mustang Sally.
[/quote]
Oh the humanity. Enough already

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1422923808' post='2678563']

He rocked backwards and forwards in a very gentle manner looking vaguely towards the ceiling with a facial expression as if contemplating the meaning of life with his arms crossed against the upper bout of his EB3 - if he had been smoking a pipe it would not have looked out of place
[/quote]

Going by the state of his eyes in that clip he'd definitely been smoking a pipe - he's stoned off his gourde.