Why become a member? ×

Alright Now - What do you do in the verses?

allighatt0r

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422919158' post='2678510']
You're right, of course. So in the interests of fairness and parity, I list the following songs: If your band covers them, it's minus ten points; if you WANT to cover them, it's minus twenty points; and if you do five of them (or more) in your set, it's PLUS a million points... :D

Free Bird
More Than A Feeling
Daddy Cool
Sweet Child 'O Mine
Start Me Up
Down Down
Money For Nothing
Summer Of '69
We Will Rock You
Radar Love...

and...

Mustang Sally.
[/quote]

Just reading that makes me want to shoot myself in the face.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422984014' post='2679156']
I know, that's why I never had children.....
[/quote]

Don't worry - you're still terribly embarrassing, woefully behind the times and very cringeworthy. It's just that you have no-one to point it out to you. :D Young master discreet shouts 'AAWWWW DAAAADDDD, NOOOOOOOO!!!' about fifteen times a day.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422919158' post='2678510']
You're right, of course. So in the interests of fairness and parity, I list the following songs: If your band covers them, it's minus ten points; if you WANT to cover them, it's minus twenty points; and if you do five of them (or more) in your set, it's PLUS a million points... :D

Free Bird
More Than A Feeling
Daddy Cool
Sweet Child 'O Mine
Start Me Up
Down Down
Money For Nothing
Summer Of '69
We Will Rock You
Radar Love...

and...

Mustang Sally.
[/quote]

Well a mixture here:

We do Mustang Sally. The singer hates it as he thinks it's beneath him (but the audience love it).

On the other hand the singer wants to do Sweet Child Of Mine, which we've just started learning, but I think its a bit dull.

On the other other hand, I definitely want to do Radar Love. To be honest I don't quite understand why it's on the list - IME you hardly ever hear it being played in pubs (possibly because it's not straight forward)

And on the other other other hand the saxophonist/pianist wants to do Free Bird which I also really like and again, round here at least, rarely gets played these days (20 years ago, yes).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1423042717' post='2679806']

Well a mixture here:

We do Mustang Sally. The singer hates it as he thinks it's beneath him (but the audience love it).

On the other hand the singer wants to do Sweet Child Of Mine, which we've just started learning, but I think its a bit dull.

On the other other hand, I definitely want to do Radar Love. To be honest I don't quite understand why it's on the list - IME you hardly ever hear it being played in pubs (possibly because it's not straight forward)

And on the other other other hand the saxophonist/pianist wants to do Free Bird which I also really like and again, round here at least, rarely gets played these days (20 years ago, yes).
[/quote]

That's the rub for me. I've not heard bands play those tunes in about 10years plus. Bands DO evolve their setlists. Ours is constantly evolving. If we're bored with the tunes it shows when we play them. You should also be able to gauge audience reaction to them. If people go outside/sit down/ go to the bar in droves, it's time to chop them.

Do bands really just trot out the same setlist year in year out and wonder why their gigs are drying up?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1423042717' post='2679806']
On the other other hand, I definitely want to do Radar Love.
[/quote]

It's the only one on the list that I actually like - it's a good song with a great bassline and it's fun to play.

Whenever I suggested it in the past it got shot down because 'everybody does it' - which I think is code for 'I don't want to do it', because frankly I've never heard a band cover it in four decades of listening to covers bands.

Do you remember seeing it on Top Of The Pops? IIRC, the drummer jumped over his kit at the end! Heady stuff for 1973!

I was in a band once where we decided to make Radar Love a bit more interesting so where it gets a bit tedious in the middle we then swapped over to Twilight Zone (probably the only other Golden Earring tune anyone in the audience would know) for a couple of verses/choruses then back into RL for final verse/chorus. Fun to play but we couldn't get the combination down to less than 7 minutes so it did tend to send people to the bar on occasion :(