Why become a member? ×

Your entire rig has been stolen

Funky Dunky

I`d replace like for like rather than getting brand new gear I`m unfamiliar with. The only exception would be my Markbass 212 cab as it`s now discontinued, so I`d get two of the NY121s instead.

But the item I really can`t do without is my Tech21 VT DI. My `78 Precision, well I`d look for another late 70s Precision as like the necks and the ash/maple combination but whether I`d get one I like as much who knows.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1414324339' post='2588189']
I`d replace like for like rather than getting brand new gear I`m unfamiliar with. The only exception would be my Markbass 212 cab as it`s now discontinued, so I`d get two of the NY121s instead.

But the item I really can`t do without is my Tech21 VT DI. My `78 Precision, well I`d look for another late 70s Precision as like the necks and the ash/maple combination but whether I`d get one I like as much who knows.
[/quote]

Hey Lozz, I recon you should get a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236109-superb-1975-fender-p-bass-and-original-case-more-pics-on-page-3/page__fromsearch__1"]good stand-by[/url] then :P

I would change very little to be honest. I'd go for some sort of Fender JP style bass. Not necessarily an aerodyne Jazz, but something of simliar quality with a hum free Jazz pickup put in.

Amp wise though, I probably would probably change. I would likely get a 1x15 combo of some sort, to replace my 2x10 cab and Markbass head. I'm not precious when it comes to Amp tone as I prefer my tone shaping to be done by my pedal board so that the FOH gets the same tone at every gig. Aslong as the amp was not massive or extremely heavy I'd be happy. In fact I'd Probably be happy with just getting a couple of 1x12 combos. I run a stereo effects path so might be nice just to attempt the whole dual amp thing. Saying that, I'd probably end up just using one most of the time.

Pedal board wise I have changed about a hundred times since I moved into effects a few years ago, so again, I'd not be overly fussed about what I get, aslong as they do roughly the same job as what I have at the moment. I would perhaps get a stand alone preamp pedal again, something like the VT bass though. Although the ms60b is doing the job well, the gear snob in me is not liking the fact I have two Zoom products on my board! haha

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1414325238' post='2588200']
Hey Lozz, I recon you should get a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236109-superb-1975-fender-p-bass-and-original-case-more-pics-on-page-3/page__fromsearch__1"]good stand-by[/url] then :P
[/quote]

I would absolutely love that one, but funds decree my trusty MIM Precision stands in its place.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1414327225' post='2588226']
I'd buy the same thing again. (Shuttle 6.0 combo and the ext cab)
[/quote]
All my gear (three amps and both cabs) is Genz and all no longer made so we well be fighting over the classifieds!

In light of that probably some bergantino cabs and three new class d heads, not sure what but I bet bass direct would be happy that day!

I have at least two rigs anyway....so depends which one was stolen.

I'd replace my DB rig with same...as I haven't used anything better.
and my B rig would be another TH500 amp but probably thru TKS cabs
rather thru Bergs....but I'd also demo CN112's against them..assuming I had the money
to cover the cost of 2xCN112's from the pay-out.

Bass-wise, I'd get the same.. or would probablycommision my own specs with Martin P/Sei.
I would also check out what Celinders and AC's were about at the time...

I'd probably get another Phil Jones PB300 but replace the Cub with a Flightcase as that would allow me to just use the Flightcase alone on smaller gigs (the Cub doesn't have enough oomph to fill a room). However, I'd quite like to have an Aguilar rig with a Tonehammer and 2, 1x12s.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414333145' post='2588310']
Lefrash - how's the Markbass head working out for ye? I have serious GAS for of those, or a Genz Benz.

If you were to go for a 1x15, what would you like?
[/quote]

To be honest its a good sounding head, but perhaps not suited tomy needs. I thought it would be a bit more 'neutral' if you know what I mean. I can get a lovely tone out it on its own, but as I said since I want to get the whole sound out my board (I do alot of DI only gigs) I'd rather my actual amp to be able to simply amplify my sound. I found the LH500 I had did this much better but since that was a rackable amp it had the size and weight against it. I may move it on and just go back to an LH500 but being such a gear lover, I probably will try something different.

As to what 1x15 I'd go for I literally have no idea - although I've always loved those older Peavey Blackwidow combos. If one was to come up cheap I may be willing to part with some squeakers and give it a go. Or perhaps two!

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1414336939' post='2588365']
I dont know what I would do.all my genz stuff is discontinued
[/quote]

I know what you mean - I'd struggle to find a replacement Ampeg SVP-Pro, which is the only bit of my rig I'd be really concerned replacing..

My main bass is a vintage Hofner Verithin. They don't come on the market often (although there's one on 'tBay right now...), so I'd be a bit stuck. I'd probably go for a Jack Casady whilst looking for a Verithin; the JC is my 2nd favourite bass. My main amp is a Hiwatt DR205; they, too, are rather difficult to source. The 4 x KT88 200w being show-cased in the 'Build' threads is about right, so I'd 'phone there. I have 3 cabs, and use them equally, so not too worried. I might have a bit of a problem replacing 'Giggles' (HH 2 x 15 horn-loaded...).
My drums and cymbals are, however irreplaceable (Camco, Paiste, Sabian...).

I would replace like for like, I am happy with the sound I have, I probably wouldn't go for another Hiwatt guitar head as it hasn't really given me the sound I hoped, I would probably buy an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro instead...I would also buy a big bitey dog to eat the scroat that stole my rig in the first place

Hmmmm. My reflex reaction is to try and get like for like. To stick with the familiar. But I'm not sure that works. Like many on here, I have Genz amps so I'm stuffed there.

And I love my Bergantino cabs - but I quite fancy trying a BareFaced sometime.

So, going back to the original question, what's the one thing i'd have to replace like for like? Nothing. Each of my basses has it's own "personality" and is like an individual, with its own story - a particularly good deal, a long trip to collect, a long and protracted search for that perfect setup, the coming to life with a specific set of strings, a great gig....

So I'd be sad for the loss of my gear but then I'd be looking forward to building new relationships with their own stories attached to them.

If the question was "what piece of gear would you save from the flames" then that's an easy answer. But the question was "what would you have to replace with the same item?" And that's nothing...

I'm addicted to my SR5, Verellen meatsmoke preamp, MXR bass comp.
The SWR head I'd have to listen to some rivals (Glockenklang heartcore, ebs fapner, Mesa M6 or bigblock) to hear if they sound like I want them to. Otherwise the hunt for a second hand 750x is on.

A 412 cab is mandatory. Basstown is out of business I think, but again Mesa or Glockenklang may be able to substitute.

Tuner, envelope filter and power supply do not worry me.