Why become a member? ×

Bass Played By Only 5% Of Kids

HowieBass

Probably should be grateful that some of them are learning a proper instrument at all and not simply aspiring to being rich and famous for no discernable reason.
And as there were 700,000 births in the UK last year, 5% is a very significant number! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1410779698' post='2552930']
, electric guitar at 13%
[/quote]

I'm sure some of this percentage will transfer over to bass because they think it is "easier"...after all.. only four strings...generally !! ;)

Edited by Coilte

[i]Only[/i] 1 in 20... actually, I think that's a fairly healthy proportion myself!

Seems fairly comparable to when I first picked up a bass in the late 80s. I had 20+ friends and I was the only bass player amongst them.

There are perhaps even more distractions around today - certainly more avenues for getting involved in music - and perhaps more competition for picking up a guitar from aspects of music such as DJing and software-based songwriting.

So yeah, 5% sounds healthy to me.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1410780659' post='2552953']
Is that 5% of the total number of children? Or 5% of the children who play music, play bass?
Im guessing its 5% of the children who play a musical instrument, play bass?
Not overly surprised at that.
[/quote]

It's not overly clear according to the story but I think it's 5% of those who play any instrument at all; so there are nearly three times as many young drummers as there are bass players. We have been warned...

[quote]
Keyboard 30%
Piano 28%
Electric Guitar 13%
Bass Guitar 5%
[/quote]

Ideal ratios for future Lynyrd Sknyrd-Thin Lizzie-Wishbone Ash-Iron Maiden, I'd say. It's those keyboards that worry me!

But seroiusly, is it possible to get a reasonably priced good quality short scale bass? Nowt worse to put a beginner off than a bad instrument.

It's not really that surprising though, is it?
The electric bass still has a sense of 'demotion' about it, especially with high school age kids.It's still often seen
as the easy option for those that suck at guitar, especially with those who are interested in rock and pop.

I started my older son at the age of 7
Bought him a Westfield junior bass and let him get on with it. He took a week to play the riff of smoke on the water.

This august past he was playing double bass in a huge orchestra at the Menin gate in Belgium for the world war 1 centenary and is at college studying it now too.

Who'd want to play guitar or keys with lots of strings when you can shake the earth just fine with four, or five as he is now on to.
Other son is drums mad and he is only three....

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1410801182' post='2553328']
I started my older son at the age of 7
Bought him a Westfield junior bass and let him get on with it. He took a week to play the riff of smoke on the water.

This august past he was playing double bass in a huge orchestra at the Menin gate in Belgium for the world war 1 centenary and is at college studying it now too.

Who'd want to play guitar or keys with lots of strings when you can shake the earth just fine with four, or five as he is now on to.
Other son is drums mad and he is only three....
[/quote]
Blimey, that's an age gap!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1410779698' post='2552930']
According to this BBC News story [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29117849"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...cation-29117849[/url] only 5% of children are playing electric bass, bottom of the list of instruments; even less popular than percussion at 6%, electric guitar at 13% and drums at 14%!
[/quote]
Ah but the BBC haven't given the full picture. The full article, as printed in a number of todays papers, shows the situation in 1999 as well. Then the number of kids playing electric bass was 0%, so the figures are an improvement. Wish i could find the whole chart.