Why become a member? ×

Are you born to be a bassist?

lowdowner

Yes, I was 9 or 10 it was February 9th, 1964 Sunday Night. I saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. Paul was singing playing bass and having fun. I started playing bass the following week and I have never stopped.

I was familiar with The Beatles prior to seeing them, I had the Meet The Beatles album but it was seeing them live on TV that got me started.

blue

I'm not sure. Generally, I'm pretty outgoing and like I get involved in discussions etc when in a group of friends but will happily take a back seat on stage and do the job that's required. So temperament wise, I'm don't really match the classic stereotype of the bassist.

As a musician, I didn't really get much choice. Did a Musial aptitude test thing at school and hen asked if I could learn double bass (as it looked coolest!) and been with bass ever since. I can play other instruments but never got good enough to prefer them ( mainly because of the frustration that I can only keep up with my musical brain on bass. Anything else I fall behind which results in mistakes or frustration and then I don't enjoy it). So from that point of view, I think I just like bass because it is what I'm best at.

If like to be able to play another instrument to the same standard to see if I would go back to bass but I haven't got 15 years to put down my bass and learn something else instead!

As a kid I started out on trumpet but then migrated to larger and larger instruments, eventually ending up on bass trombone. In my first school band I was supposed to be the keyboard player as I also learned to play the piano. However we had no bass player and decided that was more important than keys. 30 years later it's still my main instrument. I dabble with other instruments, but it's only ever dabbling.

So I suppose yes. I was drawn to deep notes and have spent many years happily producing them! :D

I don't know if I was born to be a bassist.

I've always loved music.... So started playing the recorder in primary school, I was good, so they gave me a guitar when I was about 8, went on and did Spanish classical, getting to Grade 5 by the time I was 11.

Went to comprehensive school, was viewed as being a good little musician, so they lent me an Oboe, sat Grade 3 within 6 months, so my parents bought me one of my own .... Got up to Grade 8 and was part of the National Youth Orchestra and even toured China at 15.

However, throughout all these years of playing instruments sitting firmly in the treble clef, I had a yearning to play bass. It was what I noticed first about songs... Whilst friends were singing the lyrics, I was singing and tapping out the basslines.

I didn't actually get a bass until well into adulthood and haven't looked back. I don't think I'll ever be as good as I was on the oboe, but I love it, it feels like home.

So born to play seems a little extreme, but I have certainly gravitated towards it.

That said I'm doing an acoustic gig tonight where I am playing my Spanish guitar that I've had since I was 10 :lol:

At about age 12 (1975ish), My mate had a guitar & I wanted to play the drums but my folks wouldn't get me a kit, too noisy was the reason/ excuse. They offered instead to put half the cash to a japcrap jazz bass that was in the window of local music shop. After many odd jobs & paper rounds, it was finally mine & the rest is history. As soon as I picked it up it felt right & even though I can play guitar & drums reasonably, bass is still the place!

Definitely in my case!

I dabbled with playing a couple of instruments when at school, but it was only when I began to listen to music seriously in my mid-teens that I found I was following the bass line more than anything else. I bought my first bass at 19 and still loving the journey at 52!

Even now, when I listen to music, most of my attention is on the bass-line and how the bass interacts with everything else. For that reason I detest having to hear music on any device that doesn’t do plenty of bass – eg mobile phones, crappy car stereos, ultra-thin TV’s, supermarket PA systems etc.

Having to be away from my bass for any length of time (eg on a family holiday) is as close as I get to experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I know I’ve found my niche with bass guitar.

Edited by Krysbass

I'm not sure I was "born" to be a bassist
I'm not particularly gifted, it takes me a while to learn some songs (while some come more easily)
I don't read music (do a bit of Tab) but I like to play by ear,
and I do like the challenge of learning some songs,
or some nice sounding bass lines

But, as others have said, it's the instrument I feel most drawn towards
or have an affinity to....

I started out trying my hand at guitar (an awful old Jedson - who remembers those)
after playing bass a short while, I had a few guitar lessons, but always felt
the strings were a bit small & fiddly, and felt I couldn't get "in there" and play as well
or with the dexterity I wanted - so I never felt I "connected" with guitar quite the same way

I occasionally play a bit of Mandolin (again, tiny strings & spacing though!) - but I love the sound of it
and I've got a Cahon, and a few small drums I occasionally hit

But nothing else quite feels like a Bass to me

I took a break of over 20 years from playing :o
and I only returned when my son had a Squier P bought for him one year for Xmas
He wanted to learn some Iron Maiden bass lines and didn't know where to start

I got out a few old LP's (on vinyl) - which shocked him - he didn't think Dad was cool enough to like his sort of music ;)
I struggled to remember, or even play the basis of some of Steve Harris's basslines
But the bug had started to bite again, and I was well & truly bitten

Now I'm sorry I had such a long "bass holiday"
But I'm loving it even more :)

Marc

Edited by Marc S

Not to get too much into a nature/nurture debate but from reading several books on the subject of talent, motivation and learning methods the only factor separating the so called 'naturals' from others is hours put in to their chosen subject and enjoyment of it - which encourages more hours put in.

Personally I have played several other instruments, I started on guitar but have also spent time playing mandolin, piano, double bass, singing and drums. That "natural" feeling I have with bass is, I think, more to do with having spent countless hours with it rather than some affinity I was born with. My step-father assures me that I did not sound good when I first started playing!

I think people take to a certain instrument, or instruments, where it just seems to come naturally, the bass did for me, id messed with keyboards, never got on.
I started playing the double bass at school(never formally or taught mind), then I got hold of their Westone thunder, and that was it I was hooked, my parents were adamant that i should play the guitar as the bass was somehow restricive(never did work that idea out!), which I tried, and it just didn't flow, the guitar just felt awkward and fiddly. So convinced dad to buy me a £50 Marlin bass, and that was it.

It could be to do with our nature or personality. I was once in a band where we all played sunday football together, our drummer was the keeper, I played as either centre half or defensive midfielder, lead guitarist was our playmaker/attacking midfielder and singer was our main striker. Make of that what you will.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1409257759' post='2538124']
I think so. I`m generally invisible to many (make that most) of the audiences, my natural personality is to stand in the background. Even my friendships are usually based on me being mates with someone more outgoing and lively than myself. However I`m the person many people turn to for support as I`m the "rock-steady" person when they`re floundering.

I reckon all the above translates pretty well into bassist.

Edit - I should also add that whilst I can play guitar, and am a pretty good rhythm guitarist, I don`t really understand the guitar, whereas I feel I do with the bass.
[/quote]

This made me laugh becuase this is litterally me you've just described.

I always wanted to be a guitarist, and I've played guitar since I got my first Squire Stratocaster when I was 13. It was only until a couple of years ago I picked up the bass and it just seemed to feel right.

It was also damn right easier to play as well!! [size=2][i](Please dont hurt me)[/i][/size]

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1409306337' post='2538467']
It could be to do with our nature or personality. I was once in a band where we all played sunday football together, our drummer was the keeper, I played as either centre half or defensive midfielder, lead guitarist was our playmaker/attacking midfielder and singer was our main striker. Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

I am LOVING this story :D

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1409306337' post='2538467']
[/quote]

You are in Kasabian and I claim my five pounds.

I took it up 'cos it only had four strings so it had to easier, right? ;) I think subconciously I was attracted to some music (as a listener) with strong basslines before I knew what it was. So maybe there was something innately there. I'm not naturally musical in any shape or form, I grind away at it until I get something that's acceptable to me and (hopefully) the audience. I've not picked a bass up in about 3 weeks and I know I'm going to have to put some graft in next week to get back to my usual level before we play a gig next Sat.

Edited by KevB