Why become a member? ×

Are you born to be a bassist?

lowdowner

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1409840231' post='2543840']
No - I wasn't born to do or be anything. If I had been I wouldn't have had to practise to get any good. I reckon anybody can do or be pretty much anything they want to , given the desire to do it. I started playing bass because every guitar player I knew as a teenager was better than me and figured I better do something different. I also figured it would be much easier to get to a standard where I could play in front of people on bass than it would be on guitar , and by and large I think I was right. That won't be a popular opinion round here , I expect , but I can't help that.
[/quote]

Yep, the more you practice, the more 'naturally talented' you are.

I've just joined a band that has 3 bass players, one of whom is on drums and another (me) on guitar. I think we have our preferences but actually it's nice to play a range of instruments and stretch ourselves a little. I'm enjoying playing guitar at the moment (something I started to do a few years back and then stopped for a return to bass).

Well I come from a musical family and my dad in particular is a VERY accomplished musician (played 1st Violin for the London Youth Orchestra from the age of 12, grade 8 in violin, chello, trumpet and French horn and has 2 music related degrees. Also an award winning private piano tutor and was organist at the Royal Festival Hall). He was determined that I would follow in his musical footsteps but despite daily piano lessons from the age of 4 until 8, I never even reached grade 1 and my dad resigned himself to the fat that I would never be the new modern day Chopin. I continued to mess around on piano and with various other instruments for a few years but never really getting anywhere. Then, when I was fourteen, my best friend suggested I learn bass as he'd been given a drum kit for Christmas and he wanted someone to jam with. The moment I picked up the bass and knocked out my first bass line, it felt like everything that had been missing when I played anything else just fell into place.
Since then I have learned to play guitar and drums to a passable standard but only ever with a mind to how it will help me as a bass player.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1409840231' post='2543840']
I started playing bass because every guitar player I knew as a teenager was better than me and figured I better do something different. I also figured it would be much easier to get to a standard where I could play in front of people on bass than it would be on guitar , and by and large I think I was right. That won't be a popular opinion round here , I expect , but I can't help that.
[/quote]

This...

Probably how 80% came to be doing it, me included.
I wouldnt change it for the world though.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409257133' post='2538116']
I started on guitar and was very average, but rather than the failed guitarist we are often known as I think it was because I was drawn to the bass, even when I bought a good guitar at the age of about 15.
[/quote]

Almost the same as my story. Started on guitar at 16, knew I wanted to be a bassist at 18, but persevered on guitar. Only finally got round to bass two years ago, but wish I'd done it when I was 18. With 19 years under my belt, I would be amazing now (hopefully).

I reckon everyone is 'born to be' anything they want, so long as they have enough time to practice, and want it enough to use sed time practicing!

I'm a lefty but play right-handed, simply because when I started playing the only bass I could afford with my paper round was a righty- so I forced myself to learn that way. I spent my first few years of playing bass practicing 6-8 hours a day... never in my life have I wanted anything so much!

Eight years later and I play bass as my full-time job, so it turned out to be a great investment!