Why become a member? ×

Are you born to be a bassist?

lowdowner

Actually I don't think it's the solos that would be the big problem, I tried guitar very briefly with a cheapo high action acoustic. I thought i wouldn't make it easy for myself. I really struggled holding chord shapes down. Flitting about from note to note was more similar to a bassline so that wasn't too bad. Remembering and then actually executing chords fluently sadly had me beat. I also developed a tremor in my left hand which was made much worse holding a rigid shape so that didn't help either.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1409300301' post='2538373']
Even now, when I listen to music, most of my attention is on the bass-line and how the bass interacts with everything else. For that reason I detest having to hear music on any device that doesn’t do plenty of bass – eg mobile phones, crappy car stereos, ultra-thin TV’s, supermarket PA systems etc.
[/quote]

When I do this I find my brain adds in the bass lines to the songs I know and makes up the other ones! So the songs always have bass even if I can't hear them

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1409306337' post='2538467']
I was once in a band where we all played sunday football together, our drummer was the keeper, I played as either centre half or defensive midfielder, lead guitarist was our playmaker/attacking midfielder and singer was our main striker. Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

When playing football I was always a defender because, even though I wasn't very good at playing, I was capable of stopping the more gifted and talented opponents from playing well.

Make of THAT what you will. :lol:

It could be to do with our nature or personality. I was once in a band where we all played sunday football together, our drummer was the keeper, I played as either centre half or defensive midfielder, lead guitarist was our playmaker/attacking midfielder and singer was our main striker. Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

I think this is a great story / analogy too :) love it!

But what do you reckon your transfer fee would be? ;)

EDIT: And which of you tackled hardest, and which of you feigned injury, or could be seen rolling around the floor?
I avoided the obvious, trite question as to who scored most lol

Edited by Marc S

No.
Though of course "born to be" is the wrong term, I was born to be a composer.

However, I've always been drawn to bass parts (Bach as well as the pipe organ pedals certainly have had their say in this), and have always been drawn to the sounds of the bass.
Whilst I'm an organist, I've never been too fond of its sound - just of its willingness to let me play all those musical parts on all those keyboards and with all those stops.

I've told it before, but it is typical that I owned zero organ records and loads of bass records when I entered music college.

So when I decided to drop my keyboard instruments, the bass was the obvious choice, though I must soon add drums to that. I need to beat the Hull out of something - in rhythmic fashion of course.

Psychologically, the archetypal supportive role held by flegmatic, peaceful and intelligent people is mine only few days per week. The other days I'm Keith Emerson or the drummer at the wrong gig, though I hasten to add I'm never the Korean drag bass player. :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1409324301' post='2538674']

I think this is a great story / analogy too :) love it!

But what do you reckon your transfer fee would be? ;)

EDIT: And which of you tackled hardest, and which of you feigned injury, or could be seen rolling around the floor?
I avoided the obvious, trite question as to who scored most lol
[/quote]
I definitely tackled hardest, it's what I was there for! Playing that far back gave me a great view of guitarist and singer trying to outdo each other as golden boy. As for transfer fee, our manager would have probably happily swapped me for half a packet of Lambert & Butler and some pork scratchings, and I was his captain so that says a bit about the quality of the team! :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1409308896' post='2538505']

You are in Kasabian and I claim my five pounds.
[/quote]
I wish! That means I would've been headlining Glastonbury instead of wondering what time to set the alarm to give me time to walk the dog before work!!

It's funny thinking about it, I started on guitar but wanted to play the bass so I have spent my entire bass playing career being drawn to "lead bassists" Pino, Peter Hook, Stuart Morrow to name but a few yet I never had any desire to be a lead guitarist.......I guess I am just weird :blush:

I just love the bass being at the front of the mix, in the limelight I guess

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1409333688' post='2538795']
I definitely tackled hardest, it's what I was there for! Playing that far back gave me a great view of guitarist and singer trying to outdo each other as golden boy. As for transfer fee, our manager would have probably happily swapped me for half a packet of Lambert & Butler and some pork scratchings, and I was his captain so that says a bit about the quality of the team! :-)
[/quote]

Ha, the story just gets better :)
Though I would have held out for a full packet of L&B
and some scampi fries! ;)

Bass chose me.

I'd been learning guitar for about a year & although I could play pretty well. I didnt get a buzz from it at all & was wondering weather to just give up. I went round to a mates house who had a varied collection of bits & bobs laying around his flat. He'd just come back from his mums house because she had found a stash of more instruments in his loft that she wanted him to take away.

In the corner there was this battered old 3/4 length ric copy.....it was covered in grime & looked horrendus but I picked it up & just started noodling about on it. next thing I know I had been playing it for half an hour & my mate simply smiled at me & said "looks like you have found your instrument"

A week later I sold off all my guitar stuff & bought a bass. It's been in my veins ever sinse.

It could be to do with our nature or personality. I was once in a band where we all played sunday football together, our drummer was the keeper, I played as either centre half or defensive midfielder, lead guitarist was our playmaker/attacking midfielder and singer was our main striker. Make of that what you will.
[/quote]

I can absolutely understand that!! :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1409310613' post='2538517']
Yeah and a lot of basslines are repetitive so easier to learn than those pesky guitar solos :P
[/quote]

Yes and then just great to groove away in our own little world B)

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1409323877' post='2538661']
Moral of the story... Bass is the easier option :lol:
[/quote]

Sax is a doddle compared to bass!! :o[size=4] ;)[/size]

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409325225' post='2538688']
I don't know if I was born to be a bass player but for sure I will die like this.
[/quote]

Same here :D

I've always been drawn towards bass lines - just never occurred to me until age 51 I could ever play anything other than a woodwind instrument! :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by SaxyBassist

No - I wasn't born to do or be anything. If I had been I wouldn't have had to practise to get any good. I reckon anybody can do or be pretty much anything they want to , given the desire to do it. I started playing bass because every guitar player I knew as a teenager was better than me and figured I better do something different. I also figured it would be much easier to get to a standard where I could play in front of people on bass than it would be on guitar , and by and large I think I was right. That won't be a popular opinion round here , I expect , but I can't help that.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1409838115' post='2543811']
Bass chose me.

I'd been learning guitar for about a year & although I could play pretty well. I didnt get a buzz from it at all & was wondering weather to just give up. I went round to a mates house who had a varied collection of bits & bobs laying around his flat. He'd just come back from his mums house because she had found a stash of more instruments in his loft that she wanted him to take away.

In the corner there was this battered old 3/4 length ric copy.....it was covered in grime & looked horrendus but I picked it up & just started noodling about on it. next thing I know I had been playing it for half an hour & my mate simply smiled at me & said "looks like you have found your instrument"

A week later I sold off all my guitar stuff & bought a bass. It's been in my veins ever sinse.
[/quote]

Wow - that's quite inspirational :)