Why become a member? ×

Over thinking when playing - is it just me?

Osiris

Is it just me, or do any of you people sometimes over think when you're playing, and then end up suffering as a result?
By that I mean thinking too much about what you need to play on the next verse/chorus/song/whatever to the point where you almost forget what you are actually supposed to be playing [i]now [/i]and then end up having a blank (aka a 'WTF do I play here' moment)?

I'm not one to get nervous before a gig and have been know to have a moment like this even with songs that I've played hundreds of times over the years. Is it an age thing (I'm in my early 40's so in my mind I'm not [i]that [/i]ancient)? Or maybe past indulgences catching up with me ;) ?

Anyone else have 'suffer' from this or something similar?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407410503' post='2520176']
I don't understand the question. Duhhhh... *Drools... stares out of window with mouth open*
[/quote]

:D

I make a concerted effort not to think ahead but to concentrate on the moment. Fail miserably sometimes though and that tends to be on the simple ones, that I've played countless times before, suddenly realising that I'm thinking about something that has nowt to do with the song and then mentally scrambling about and trying to get back on track. :unsure:

No, because I have a shape of what the song is doing so all I need to do is think where I am going
and I can do that in an instant, so everything I play is geared to what is happening 'now' and I react to it
as I hear it. I might know the drummer is winding up to a big '4' and no matter he does, I'll likely get it.
This is why you can be tight in a band in an instant ...

I don't play parts as such, but we may well have determined the direction of the song so there is likely a
precedent, so I am listening to what is happening, not so much what I expect to happen.
Of course, they will be tried and tested paths but I don't enjoy an oblivious path ..and therefore a part,
if I don't think it is working. It helps to have default, of course, but if no one else is playing it...or CAN play it,
then it has little use...

I tend to 'get' a song in the 1st bar and that determines the 'groove' for that particular version...
If it works really well, I expect we will copy it next time..

Dep work works like this, IMO... you can't say I WILL play it like this when you don't know what the others guys references
are, so you just know the notes and their place and you work to make it fit.
If the song is busked... I'll just ask what key we play this in... check on the bridge or changes, and we are off...
Less than 10 seconds and we should be sorted...if everyone knows what they are doing.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407411204' post='2520184']
No, because I have a shape of what the song is doing so all I need to do is think where I am going
and I can do that in an instant, so everything I play is geared to what is happening 'now' and I react to it
as I hear it. I might know the drummer is winding up to a big '4' and no matter he does, I'll likely get it.
This is why you can be tight in a band in an instant ...

I don't play parts as such, but we may well have determined the direction of the song so there is likely a
precedent, so I am listening to what is happening, not so much what I expect to happen.
Of course, they will be tried and tested paths but I don't enjoy an oblivious path ..and therefore a part,
if I don't think it is working. It helps to have default, of course, but if no one else is playing it...or CAN play it,
then it has little use...

I tend to 'get' a song in the 1st bar and that determines the 'groove' for that particular version...
If it works really well, I expect we will copy it next time..

Dep work works like this, IMO... you can't say I WILL play it like this when you don't know what the others guys references
are, so you just know the notes and their place and you work to make it fit.
If the song is busked... I'll just ask what key we play this in... check on the bridge or changes, and we are off...
Less than 10 seconds and we should be sorted...if everyone knows what they are doing.
[/quote]

+1

Yes absolutely, happens to me all the time. If I'm terrified of going wrong and concentrating like mad, that's when I inevitably go wrong.

I noticed this in particular at our last gig (which was in effect our first proper all electric gig other than open mics). I was standing on the edge of the 'stage' near the area where people had to squeeze past to get to the exits (as you do). Whenever anyone walked past and I had to lift the neck right up to avoid whacking them with the headstock, I realised I was actually playing more fluently. Cos I was concentrating more on avoiding people and letting the music (which I actually know backwards) flow by itself.

I will also admit to a bit of showboating. I was sort of exaggerating it a bit so as to demonstrate what a cool customer I am, and that I'm not phased by anything while performing B) (if only that were true!). So what with doing all that, it actually helped the performance I feel.

I don't often overthink what I'm doing. I make sure my part is secure and then listen to everyone else when we're playing it. That way, it gels better as a whole and I don't spend time thinking about my part so much that I make mistakes. I'm usually listening out for something cool that the drummer is doing that I can tie in with or some nice melodic parts that I can echo in alongside the actual bass part.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407413120' post='2520224']
More generally, a lot of people seem to have problems living in the moment.
Regret about the past is guilt, and apprehension about the future is worry... in fact, both are pointless exercises as there is only 'now'. Man.
[/quote]

That's a bit philosophical for a Thursday...

I've sometime experienced this. Sometimes with newish songs where I've completely blanked how to start. Because of this, I always write the first note to be played on my set list and sometimes the first few chords so I don't have this problem so often these days. Other times, I suddenly realise I can't remember how to play the chorus or a middle-8 but when I get to it I seem to play it OK. I guess that's 'muscle memory' cutting in. It's quite odd really, but in a good way. That's not to say I never screw up, but I've not discerned any particular pattern or reason for it - well, apart from lack of talent I guess :lol:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1407414871' post='2520252']
I will often forget the arrangement of a song because I'm thinking about something completely different. I wish I could concentrate on the music!
[/quote]

You have to make sure the band have taken the right drugs. You all need to be in 'the bubble'. :D

I always get the intro to Budapest wrong.
Its probably the easiest thing i play in the whole set.
But because i could never remember the rhythm of it at the start,i keep doubting what im about to play is correct.
Its the same note, played three times!!
Im curretly sitting in work without my bass, and i can remember how it goes, but i know as soon as i go to play it.. . . . Brain fart.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd its gone