Why become a member? ×

Metallica - off to never never Glastonbury land

KiOgon

I heard it first on Radio 2 this morning -
[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/metallica-to-headline-glastonbury-festival-9341315.html"]http://www.independe...al-9341315.html[/url]

Edited by KiOgon

Absolutely bizarre...its good that Glastonbury has such a diverse mixture of music, but I can't imagine this being a good idea...

I've been to metal festivals when I was very young, and grown up with festivals like Glastonbury, and it does usually attract quite different people. Not sure what those who have tickets will think.

I definitely think this year is their weakest lineup for a long time.

I saw the news on BBC online yesterday, and I'm sure it says "something" about Metallica, or about Glasto, but I can't quite decide exactly what :D
I grew up (and then grew old!) with Metallica as [b]the[/b] heavy metal band, and always saw Glasto as an indie/lightweight/totally uninteresting festival (the opposite of Donington in its heyday), so this news is now upsetting all my prejudices! I guess I better concentrate on Megadeth, then :P

They can play where they like, never been bothered enough to see them yet and Donington is only just up the road from me. I'll probably tune in to BBC coverage to see what state Robert Plant's voice is in these days and maybe catch a bit of Kaiser Chiefs but that'll probably be it, unless Kate Bush makes a surprise appearance (if it's going to happen at all you'd think this would be the year).

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1399625473' post='2445909']
always saw Glasto as an indie/lightweight/totally uninteresting festival (the opposite of Donington in its heyday), so this news is now upsetting all my prejudices! I guess I better concentrate on Megadeth, then :P
[/quote]

After a fair few festivals (not as many as I'd like) I can honestly say the party is definitely at Glastonbury...whereas the metal festivals tend to be quite cliche and a bit 'rough and ready'.

If its got a good driving rythmn and bass drive behind it then it will work for most people. If the bands are into it then the crowd normally follows. Its amazing what a few beers will get you dancing to. :rolleyes: :D :lol:

Best of luck to them.

Dave

I saw Metallica at Donnigton when I was a 'yoot'. Managed to catch Jason Newsted's plectrum when he threw it into the crowd... might even still have that somewhere.

I'm also a veteran of Glastonbury, although I haven't been for a number of years now. I can see Metallica fitting in just fine there. Glasto is - or at least was, last time I checked - a very eclectic and in many ways modern affair, and not the hippy festival it used to be.

Besides... while I'll always have a soft spot for Metallica, they've long been left behind by younger bands who are now championing the metal scene. And rightly so. Most of the Glasto audience will have heard harder or just plain weirder stuff long before they take to the stage, so I'm fairly sure there'll be less of a culture shock than some might imagine.

I loved Metallica back in the day infact I still love anything black album and older but I wouldn't loose any sleep if I did not get to see them live now and it is not surprising they are doing Glastonbury I think they will do anything that lines there pockets now I really don't think it is about the music for them any more which is a shame as there is a lot of talent in that band