Why become a member? ×

Metallica - off to never never Glastonbury land

KiOgon

They're not my favourite band, but they're one of the bands I want to see an entire concert of before they die, I saw half of their set at Download a couple of years ago, so seeing them at Glasto this year doesn't bother me, I'll watch half of their set and then I'm sorted :lol:

Loving tye fact that the bland dross Coldplay / radiohead type fans are so put out by this. Metallica may not be everyone's cuppa but respect where it's due for a band that have achieved plenty and still deliver live time after time. Lars is still a tool tho. Heard him on radio this morning talking about Glaston-berry.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1399662639' post='2446508']
In the day i always thought Anthrax were better tbh.....or Slayer really ;-)
[/quote]
Slayer were brilliant live. Clash of the Titans in the 80's, they just blew everybody away.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1399665233' post='2446558']

in 1990 and 1991
[/quote]

I remember seeing Anthrax, Testament, Metallica and Slayer at Hammersmith Odeon (as was) all around 1987.... i am now an old aged mosher :-$

Metallica and Iron Maiden may well be getting on, but their audience are big spenders - Metallica will bring their own distinct audience to add to, not replace the kiddie bands in this year - so is a sensible business decision by the organisers. I don't like them very much because it's not really my kind of music, but with age and long career comes really good shows.

More modern audiences don't know good stage behaviour anyway = Liam Gallagher has seen off competition from Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain to win XFM's 'Greatest Frontman Of All Time' poll as voted for by their listeners.

They are to me, the greedy old men that killed napster and would have killed MP3 had they got thier full way.
They were filthy rich and thier was little need for them to do what they did.
They even boast about it.
Hence why they have to play over here, in America, people have longer memories.

Nobody seen this yet on the Daily Mash ?
[b] [url="http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/dealers-prepare-bad-acid-for-glastonbury-metallica-set-2014050986402"][size=3]Dealers prepare bad acid for Glastonbury Metallica set[/size][/url][/b]

:D

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1399671420' post='2446646']
More modern audiences don't know good stage behaviour anyway = Liam Gallagher has seen off competition from Mick Jagger, Freddie Mercury, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain to win XFM's 'Greatest Frontman Of All Time' poll as voted for by their listeners.
[/quote]

Wow! And he did it purely by singing, playing the guitar and standing quite still!

It will certainly be a different crowd experience to the last time I saw them. A field full of very excited, slightly drunk tousle haired blonde posh girls in Wellies and denim hot pants having a good mosh sounds far more fun than a pit full of sweaty, spotty teenage lads and middle aged balding metal heads.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1399704089' post='2446764']
A field full of very excited, slightly drunk tousle haired blonde posh girls in Wellies and denim hot pants having a good mosh.
[/quote]

Substitute nosh for mosh and I'm in.

Its the same idea as booking Jay Z and Rolling Stones in previous years. Book headline acts who aren't traditionally considered to be a good fit for the festival. It gets a bit of media attention for the festival and a few commentators will talk about how the headline act are the 'wrong act' for the festival. Then the act plays the festival and everybody is 'amazed' that the act goes down well with the crowd. Of course the reason that the act goes down well is because the act have sold millions upon millions of records, are household names throughout the world to the point that their popularity is not confined to a genre and they are well known for giving a great live show.

In short, I don't care, won't be there and won't be watching the television coverage featuring gurning BBC presenters throwing up ironic 'metal' horns.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1399739003' post='2447205']
Of course the reason that the act goes down well is because the act have sold millions upon millions of records, are household names throughout the world to the point that their popularity is not confined to a genre and they are well known for giving a great live show.
[/quote]

Tru dat - but also because by the time the act come on stage the crowd are generally off their heads.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1399739003' post='2447205']
Of course the reason that the act goes down well is because the act have sold millions upon millions of records, are household names throughout the world to the point that their popularity is not confined to a genre and they are well known for giving a great live show.
[/quote]

I thought the reason acts go down well at Glastonbury (or any big festival these days) is that basically the sort of people who go to these things basically don't give a f*** who's playing, they'll jump around & whoop & cheer to absolutely anything because it's about being there & being able to bore everybody shitless for months about what a "great experience" you had there rather than the music.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399745388' post='2447297']

I thought the reason acts go down well at Glastonbury (or any big festival these days) is that basically the sort of people who go to these things basically don't give a f*** who's playing, they'll
jump around & whoop & cheer to absolutely anything because it's about being there & being able to bore everybody shitless for months about what a "great experience" you had there rather than
the music.

Exactly right.
[/quote]

[quote name='paulears' timestamp='1399671420' post='2446646']
Metallica will bring their own distinct audience to add to, not replace the kiddie bands in this year....
[/quote]

How will they do that then? The tickets were sold out months before they were even announced.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399745388' post='2447297']
I thought the reason acts go down well at Glastonbury (or any big festival these days) is that basically the sort of people who go to these things basically don't give a f*** who's playing, they'll jump around & whoop & cheer to absolutely anything because it's about being there & being able to bore everybody shitless for months about what a "great experience" you had there rather than the music.
[/quote]

Yes, the audience tend to be the kind of people who believe that Britpop was a significant historical event and " Run " by Snow Patrol is indeed The Soundtrack of Their Lives, just like the advertised-on -t.v indie compilation album tells them it should be.

I am struggling to see why whatever Metallica do is such a cause for controversy, considering they don't do anything remotely controversial. They are a thick-as-two-short-planks heavy metal band who churn out one dreadful racket after another for an adoring audience consisting largely of the socially retarded. Presumably it is the absence of any real drama or controversy in that scenario that compels their followers to create it. The irony is that Metallica as an entity are quite devoid of controversy because, to be brutally honest, they lack the wit to create any. They just aren't that kind of a band. They make very conservative and predictable music for a very conservative and predictable audience.

As far as that kind of sweaty, grinding rifferama goes, I'm sure that Metallica at the top of the pile for aficionados , but in their entire career they have made about forty five minutes worth of worthwhile music, most of which is the black album . The more commercial tracks on that L.P were superb, everything they did before or since is disappointing by comparison.

Why should anyone care less or be shocked and surprised if Metallica play Glastonbury ? Their music and their whole act is a commercial proposition just like the rest of the bands on the bill. They put on a show for money. The difference between Metallica and Coldplay is essentially the same degree of difference as there is between a tin of baked beans and a tin of Spaghetti hoops. I'm sure they will go down a storm with the festival goers at Worthy Farm. They are tailor-made for that kind of event.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399745577' post='2447300']
How will they do that then? The tickets were sold out months before they were even announced.
[/quote]

TV, Radio and DVD rights - which are pretty lucrative. The reality is that every time the bands from the 70s, 80s and 90s go on, the response is often better than the much narrower radio 1 demographic. Look at Niles Rogers last year - loads of the crowd had no idea who he was, but the reviews afterwards were great. Metallica may well do a great set and go down well. Personally I'll probably not watch it but I bet it goes down well. A bit like people who slag of bands like Status Quo, whose fan base now includes parents AND their children, but have never been ultra cool.

Let's not forget it could be much, much worse ....... Morrisey could be on the list!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1399748551' post='2447320']
You obviously know nothing about Metallica's music if you think the Black album was their best work and being a fan of rock/heavy metal, don't consider myself socially retarded.
But we are all entitled to our opinion.

Yes, the audience tend to be the kind of people who believe that Britpop was a significant historical event and " Run " by Snow Patrol is indeed The Soundtrack of Their Lives, just like the advertised-on -t.v indie compilation album tells them it should be.

I am struggling to see why whatever Metallica do is such a cause for controversy, considering they don't do anything remotely controversial. They are a thick-as-two-short-planks heavy metal band who churn out one dreadful racket after another for an adoring audience consisting largely of the socially retarded. Presumably it is the absence of any real drama or controversy in that scenario that compels their followers to create it. The irony is that Metallica as an entity are quite devoid of controversy because, to be brutally honest, they lack the wit to create any. They just aren't that kind of a band. They make very conservative and predictable music for a very conservative and predictable audience.

As far as that kind of sweaty, grinding rifferama goes, I'm sure that Metallica at the top of the pile for aficionados , but in their entire career they have made about forty five minutes worth of worthwhile music, most of which is the black album . The more commercial tracks on that L.P were superb, everything they did before or since is disappointing by comparison.

Why should anyone care less or be shocked and surprised if Metallica play Glastonbury ? Their music and their whole act is a commercial proposition just like the rest of the bands on the bill. They put on a show for money. The difference between Metallica and Coldplay is essentially the same degree of difference as there is between a tin of baked beans and a tin of Spaghetti hoops. I'm sure they will go down a storm with the festival goers at Worthy Farm. They are tailor-made for that kind of event.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1399748551' post='2447320']
I am struggling to see why whatever Metallica do is such a cause for controversy, considering they don't do anything remotely controversial. They are a thick-as-two-short-planks heavy metal band who churn out one dreadful racket after another for an adoring audience consisting largely of the socially retarded.
[/quote]

Mate, it's not like you to be so self-effacing. If we're ever going to progress this thread in any meaningful way, it's important that you don't hold back and say exactly what you think.

Edited by discreet