Why become a member? ×

Who would you choose - top 3 drummers you would love to play with....?

The Admiral

I was listening to The Wizard by Sabbath in my wife's car on Friday, and on the great sound system it has, it really brought out the drums. It made me realise that Bill Ward is a much underrated contributor to the sound of those earlier albums, and how great it would be to play with him.

I then began musing about who else falls into that category of being perhaps slightly overlooked in terms of their contribution to the band, but whom it would be fantastic to play with. Any offers on a Top 3?

I'd go for - Bill Ward, Levon Helm and Brian Downey.

John Robinson,
Ricky Lawson (who is sadly very unwell)
Carlos Vega (who is sadly very dead)

I might have to update 'Drummers' soon in my contact book. :)

To be honest three is not enough for me, so many great Drummers out there.

Edited by lowdown

Been lucky enough to play with a few name drummers and 1 or 2 were/are very special.
One of the best things about that is that you get a take on 'real' talent..IMO and what it takes
to get to the top.
So, if these guys are any indication of the talent that you need to have, then that would make my list massive...

Agree about Ward and the Wizard. Wonderful. Though I'm not sure that style would fit a modern context.

Agree about Chad Smith. Not the biggest RHCP fan or even Flea, but the guy can groove like a mofo.

I don't like death metal but some of the drummers are amazing.

I do a lot of recording where I play both bass and drums so that's very satisfying. The only problem is I tend to fill in the same places, so sometimes the bassist and drummer get in each other's way. lol Gotta watch that. : )

Played with Craig Blundell, Gregg Bisonette, Steve White and Ian Matthews earlier this year. All we're awesome and really nice guys but what stood out most was just how hard they hit stuff. Snare skin resembled the surface of the moon after Gregg Bisonette had been on the kit. I'd love to play with Matt Sorum tho as I grew up on a diet of GNR.