Why become a member? ×

Auralex Gramma, any good ?

RJB280

Anything with the name Auralex is overpriced.

Make you own for a fraction of the price using materials available from eBay or any number of other places. I bought some foam pads for my studio monitors from digital village for a lot less than the Auralex ones, and I've compared them to a genuine pair and there is no difference.

Hi. :)

I made my own and it has been with me ever since, even the rest of the lads
in the band, when loading the van, ask "have we got the pad?"

Isolating the the cab from a hollow, boomy stage - whatever the size,
makes a big difference.
More focussed, tighter projection.

Get one or make one - you'll not look back.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1384711789' post='2279809']
It completely de-couples the vibrations from my wooden floor & nothing in my practice room rattles any more - I'm a f'in poet :lol:
[/quote]

Listen to what this bass man has to say
It's not often we get his wisdom couched in this way. :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1384709043' post='2279766']
Anything with the name Auralex is overpriced.

Make you own for a fraction of the price using materials available from eBay or any number of other places. I bought some foam pads for my studio monitors from digital village for a lot less than the Auralex ones, and I've compared them to a genuine pair and there is no difference.
[/quote]

Only if your time isn't actually worth anything.

I worked it out once comparing the price I paid for mine and taking into account the 10 minutes of web surfing it took to find the best price and order it, against finding all the materials individually, ordering them and then estimating how long it would take me to put it all together and calculated out that I would save about £15 at very the most, but I would have spent at least 90 minutes more doing it that way, which could either have been spent working to earn the money or doing something more useful like writing another song.

The actual device whether you buy the Auralex version or make your own is one of those things that you don't notice doing anything if it's doing its job properly but you will notice the first (and only) time you forget to bring it and end up spending the gig trying to control the bass boom that it normally eliminates.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1384715211' post='2279885']

I worked it out once comparing the price I paid for mine and taking into account the 10 minutes of web surfing it took to find the best price and order it, against finding all the materials individually, ordering them and then estimating how long it would take me to put it all together and calculated out that I would save about £15 at very the most, but I would have spent at least 90 minutes more doing it that way, which could either have been spent working to earn the money or doing something more useful like writing another song.

The actual device whether you buy the Auralex version or make your own is one of those things that you don't notice doing anything if it's doing its job properly but you will notice the first (and only) time you forget to bring it and end up spending the gig trying to control the bass boom that it normally eliminates.
[/quote]

He's right you know. As usual. In addition, I know that if I'd tried to make one it would have looked absolute cack.

[/quote]

So, in a nutshell, is it a good buy?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1384715701' post='2279894']
So, in a nutshell, is it a good buy?
[/quote]

I'd say yes. I play in a ceilidh band often on old-style wooden stages (think village hall). The pad allows me to have loud bass (requested by the caller to drive the dancing) without the 'boom' that would ensue without it.

Whether you buy one or decide to make your own depends on you.

Mine goes with me everywhere. Can really save the day on raised stages and in pubs with wooden floors. Not really overpriced IMO - put your labour at £10 an hour and you'll be £20 down before material costs if you build your own (well) so by the time your done you won't have saved much. Bet you can earn more than £10 an hour gigging too.

I bought one mostly for when we practiced in a village hall with a wooden floor. Instantly tightened up the bass and made the whole experience more pleasant for us all! I don't use it all the time but if my band ever actually gets around to gigging again it'll be coming out with me for sure.

I'm not a big fan of compressors, but this to me seemed to do the same thing without feeling like my rig had the brakes on.

Only thing I'll say is that they are a bit wobbly with a tallish rig on. My 212 +210 with head does sway a bit as the drummer brushes past, but not during playing etc.

I also costed it out and combined with sourcing and getting the bits and time spent bodging it I decided that I'd just buy one. (Which isn't like me normally as I'm very proud of my kid painted chip board offcuts effects board!)

[/quote]
The amount of time you used to calculate that could have been put to good use making one! :yarr:

I only had one venue that was an issue, so I got a single strip of Auralex drum riser foam for £8 & chopped it in 1/2. Did the job fine.

I also hunted down the cheapest price and ordered one. Use at home to cut out unwanted vibrations creeping out of my little music room and always take it to gigs.

The beauty of the Auralex is that it's reasonably well made, has a useful little grab handle and feels like it won't fall apart.

Could be a placebo but, relative to the cost of basses, amps, strings, straps etc I can't see the harm in using it at every gig.

Yes maybe a little pricey for what it is but I rarely gig without mine. There's one venue we play which has a very solid concrete/stone floor and I don't think I really need it there but in most venues it has certainly removed boominess and has given what was already (to me) a good bass sound an extra notch of focus.