Why become a member? ×

Letting go of my 4's?

Skol303

I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm a 5-string player. I bought a second hand 5-er (Peavey Cirrus BXP) last year - having played 5's a long time ago - and have barely picked up either of my two 4-strings since. I just love having a low B in my life.

I'm now tempted to make some room at home by selling off my 4's. No real money to be made in doing so - I'm just feeling all very Feng Shui at the moment and not sure I need to keep them, given I rarely play them.

Am I being hasty? Has anyone else here switched from 4 to 5 strings and regretted clearing out their old 4's? Should I keep one, just in case, or take the plunge?

Yeah I know... this is one of those threads where I'm really just thinking out loud. I might as well be asking what colour I should decorate our bathroom in. But go on, humor me :)

Its funny you should ask this. I'm asking myself the same question. I wanted to explore fretless and the one I found myself getting was a 5 string. Initially I viewed the B as superfluous; it simply got in the way. I've evolved and I use it. Last night I played a 4 and it felt like it was missing something.

I don't think I'm going to sell up yet though.

Hmmm, I've had the opposite experience - I've found the B really did just get in the way, and I never, ever needed it for anything I was playing - I have a Detuner to drop the D, and that's all I need.

If you love the B and, like Grangur, you'd miss it, then yeah, ditch the 4s and go for it.

EDIT I meant to say, in a same-but-opposite-way, I shifted the 5 on because I wasn't playing it, and it had no sentimental value to me.

Edited by Muzz

I'm in the process of selling nearly all my 4-string basses because I simply don't play them any more, and therefore they are more use to someone that will. A couple of them like the Pedulla Buzz and the Lightwave will be replaced with 5-string versions when I find ones I like, but the rest will probably be gone in a few more months.

The only 4-string basses I plan on keeping are the Burns Sonic which was my first ever bass and the Fernades Hello Kitty Pie-Zo travel bass (although if I could find a decent 5-string equivalent that would get sold too).

I've been thinking about this too.

I only really play my Marleaux and Dingwall 5 strings. Partly because my current gig is an orchestra and that low B is very useful, but partly because I like the sound of those basses. (Even then I'd swap the Dingwall for another Consat if I could)

I could sell all my 4 strings... but one of them (an old Status Energy) has been with me for about 15 years and tons of gigs, it's battered, scratched, modded and clearly worth sod all to anyone but me. I'd have to keep that one. Selling that would be like cutting an arm off.

Cheers folks, good to know I'm not alone in this.

I love having instruments lying around - but we're rapidly running out of room at home (2 year-old gobbling up space like a black hole) and it just feels a bit wasteful to have my 4's not getting played. I'm not especially attached to either of the 4's... one of them cost £30 and I had great fun modding it - so there's some love invested there - but not to the extent that I couldn't part with it.

Throughout next year I'm hoping to 'rationalise' my basses down to:

- A custom 5 (currently being built by Paul at 13 Guitar - see link in my thread for the build diary)
- A Fender American Deluxe Jazz V (played one recently, fell in love, it's now on my shopping list for sometime in the next 6 months)
- A Peavey Cirrus BXP (which I'm planning to have de-fretted)

That's my Holy Trinity, in theory at least... ;)

Edited by Skol303

Little point keeping them if they're not seeing any use or hold [b]high [/b]sentimental value. I've been a 5 stringer most of my days. Only 4 string is a P bass, which I feel is irreplaceable for vintage tones. I've not heard good things about Fender 5 strings, but never played one.

If you're the sentimental type, keep your 4's, for old times' sake!

I only have 5's and I recently sold my Wal 5 because I just wasn't playing it. It was a lovely bass but it had become an ornament!

I don't do "collections" so I'd vote for you to sell anything you're not actively playing. That would give you a budget to get an even better 5 string bass.

Since going all 5 for live work the 4s don't really get a look in even at home, so I'm coming to much the same conclusion. It'll be hard to do though as they are both rather nice basses, but, rather like a toy, an unplayed bass is an unhappy bass (or just a collection of wood, metal and plastic).

Edited by ezbass

I've asked myself the same. In an idealogical world I'd only own 4's for recording classic bass tones. But reality double hits in that I don't record very much AND I have three other basses (Alembic, Steinberger XL25A, Pangborn) that are collected and have no real role to play in a working bass arsenal anyway. So there's no room for ideology really, only the satisfaction of ownership...and I LIKE being able to play different basses as the mood takes me.

So what the hell. I'll probably keep all the fours until I've both made my perfect bass (not too far off) and I find something non-bass related that is more satisfying to own (like a classic car).

Well I sold 4 passive 4 string fenders a while back so I could concentrate on playing my two 5 strings wicks. Thing is I've been starting to hanker after another couple of 4 string fenders again! Playing live I much prefer the 5 strings but for things like reading etc I'm more at home on a 4. Didn't help that I went to a nice vintage guitar shop yesterday and was offered to have a go on some of their basses, after I played a 79 P, a 66 P (in fiesta red with tort guard!!), a 74 P (and a Jim Reed jazzer!!!) I think the bug might have bitten again. I do find it bizarre how after I found my more than good enough 5 strings I've got gas for an old fender 4 again.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1383304289' post='2262816']
I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm a 5-string player. I bought a second hand 5-er (Peavey Cirrus BXP) last year - having played 5's a long time ago - and have barely picked up either of my two 4-strings since. I just love having a low B in my life.

I'm now tempted to make some room at home by selling off my 4's. No real money to be made in doing so - I'm just feeling all very Feng Shui at the moment and not sure I need to keep them, given I rarely play them.

Am I being hasty? Has anyone else here switched from 4 to 5 strings and regretted clearing out their old 4's? Should I keep one, just in case, or take the plunge?

Yeah I know... this is one of those threads where I'm really just thinking out loud. I might as well be asking what colour I should decorate our bathroom in. But go on, humor me :)
[/quote]
I cleared all of my 4's out after having the same experience as you when I switched to 5's. I did regret it and eventually bought a couple of 4's again. I now use both 4 & 5 stringers live.

I keep thinking "I'm a five string player" and then the next year something (e.g. the band) changes and it's "I'm a four string player". I've always played both more-or-less interchangeably; I've never been sure what side of the fence I sit. Anyway, it's always an excuse to get new stuff if you change your mind.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1383390262' post='2263899']
....I keep thinking "I'm a five string player" and then the next year something (e.g. the band) changes and it's "I'm a four string player"....
[/quote]

This I don't understand. I'm the player I am never mind what band I'm in!

I the band insists on dictating the gear I use, and they're paying enough, then I'll change but not otherwise.