Why become a member? ×

Other Player Using Your Gear

Hobbayne

Our Singers family held a party last night for his birthday, and invited local musicans to come and play and jam.
Our band played for half an hour and let the others come and play.
I brought along my bitsa Precision and an old Warwick combo and let them use that while I disappeared to the bar.
I must confess it sounded quite good.
Does anyone object to others using your gear?

Edited by Hobbayne

It depends doesn't it?
The nightmare scenario is the pished-up 'hero' egged-on by his mates at the pub, or the situation where people just don't have the courtesy to ask.
But, in the right circumstance like Hobbayne above it can be a good thing to do.
Next week I'll be doing my MD job at a schools-out club. Most of the gear being used will be mine (PA, back-line, instruments including drums). The kids (5-11yrs) are all encouraged to have a go. It's great fun.
It will be the Squier Telebass I take down there though.....

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1377337360' post='2186336']
Does anyone object to others using your gear?
[/quote]

I've lent out my amp and cabs but never my bass. If someone wants to play the least they can do is bring their own instrument.

I've let fellow players have a noodle and I've done the same, but when it comes to an actual gig I reckon it's bad form for someone to expect to use someone else's instrument.

I'm pretty trusting. I'd keep an eye on them to make sure no pints on the amp etc. but generally like to encourage a friendly, sharing culture amongst the musicians' community.

It would be a pain if no one shared gear. Next weekend, we have three gigs, but I only need to bring my amp to one of them.

I've never had anyone ask to play my bass. I'd probably agree, but keep a VERY close eye on treatment. Not so much when playing, but when moving it around, where and how they put it down etc.

Edited by Roland Rock

Amps.... no problem at all! In fact I've loaned my amps out friends in need over the years. If I supply my rig at a gig, I would have no issues allowing others to use it. Bass..... No chance!

Funnily enough though, the drummer of my band doesnt allow anyone to use her kit. I totally understand why as over the years there has been a number of times where things have got broke/lost/stolen and since she uses the kit for her income (teaching) its really not worth the risk! That sometimes gets a bit awkward when other drummers assume they're going to use the kit.

I do occasional house band duties at jam nights, though not as often these days.

It's pretty much part of the gig that everyone plays through your back line (obviously) but also that you will lend your bass (or at least A bass) to anyone who needs it.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1377337767' post='2186343']
If it's somebody that I know and trust then I don't mind. Otherwise, no.
[/quote]

Unlikely scenario, but say we had a gig at The Rescue Rooms, with us supporting you. I would probably contact your band via Facebook to ask if it's ok if we use your guitar and bass amps. Would you flat out refuse?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1377339745' post='2186389']

Unlikely scenario, but say we had a gig at The Rescue Rooms, with us supporting you. I would probably contact your band via Facebook to ask if it's ok if we use your guitar and bass amps. Would you flat out refuse?
[/quote]

I think the OP was referring to everything, bass and rig. Which is why I said no.

I'll welcome anyone to play through my cab anytime as sharing makes everything easier for everyone. I would ask you to bring a head though if possible, but if you couldn't then I wouldn't leave you without an amp at the gig.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1377340302' post='2186404']

I think the OP was referring to everything, bass and rig. Which is why I said no.

I'll welcome anyone to play through my cab anytime as sharing makes everything easier for everyone. I would ask you to bring a head though if possible, but if you couldn't then I wouldn't leave you without an amp at the gig.
[/quote]

Sounds fair enough. Thanks in advance ;-)

Rig - no problem, as long as I'm asked first. I'm not being difficult, it's just simple manners. No prior permission sought, no play. Anyone who thinks that's dickish I wouldn't want within a 10m radius of anything of mine. I'm not precious about settings or any of that nonsense (I know my settings) but please NO drinks on top of amps.

Also - I don't understand the "use your own head with my cab" thing. I'd rather have a head going through my cab that I know is hooked up right and that the cab can handle maximum output from the head.

Bass - highly unlikely. Sorry. It's going to have to be one hell of a tale of woe.

Edited by neepheid

Well, all the guys who played are all in local bands doing the same circuit as us. On some occasions I have even depped for them so I know them well enough to know that they will respect my gear.
Funnily enough, one of the bassists asked to use my bitsa because it played better than his old 76 P bass :D

I always used to lend out my bass rig and have lent out my bass on a couple of occasions, all very happily. However I got really fed up with ungrateful bassists who could barely bring themselves to say thanks. One even critiqued my bass ("strings too heavy, I nearly ripped out that foam under the bridge and the covers get in the way - I'm a guitarist you see!") and I was tempted to give him a lift up to A&E to help them remove it from where the sun don't shine...

So now it's just people I know or are polite. Otherwise it's no skin off my nose if your band doesn't get to play because your kit isn't up to the job.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1377340199' post='2186400']
this again :lol:
[/quote]

Yes, it is. :) I agree that it depends who's asking. And if they're NOT asking, then NO.

What really gets on my teats are social inadequates who turn up empty-handed and assume that they can use ALL your gear - rig, bass, leads, FX, the lot - without so much as a 'could I use your rig/bass/leads/FX/the lot, please?'. Grr!

Never, mainly because I know those who've asked haven't got the cash to either repair or replace it if they bust it...and as I've had gear broken in the past and not even had a sorry let alone had it fixed or replaced I'm a very untrusting soul now.

Once when I was a callow student in Scotland I provided my Alembic Epic for a Jam Night I was running in a local bar. An Aberdonian in Scottish evening wear got up to play, and returned my pride and joy with sporran rash all over the back! A curiously regional occurrence, but pretty upsetting...

However, another time I borrowed a friends acoustic guitar for the same Jam Night. A junior punk got up to play a vigorous strummer, promptly dropped his plectrum, continued strumming with fingers, split his finger open and sprayed blood all over the acoustic's interior. For general information, even sandpaper can't get blood stains out!

I generally don't lend instruments for jam nights anymore...