Why become a member? ×

Other Player Using Your Gear

Hobbayne

Mid to late 60's it was mix and match time in Liverpool until a guitarist used my Vox Foundation head and blew it, refusing to pay. Gig money was about 30/- a night each in a 6 piece, doing 6 gigs a week, then it took two weeks money to get fixed including hire, now, no one, without exception, gets to play. But then again as I only do a couple off gigs a year it's no hardship ;)

It is not worth it, your a great guy until it breaks and suddenly your new best friend has gone.

Edited by Oldman

[i]Every situation has to be taken on its own merits of course, Not happy about the time some guys at a jam session (never again) blew the speakers in my SWR Redhead,,but that was also my own lack of experience and should have known better....funny tho,,played "the worlds biggest tirbute festival" couple of weeks ago,, and just packing the van when a young geezer,, who looked like a twenty year old Phil Lynott, popped his head in the van and says "Er mate - any chance I can borrow your black P Bass.. cant get mine to work!,,and of course, he was very welcome... here is the proof.[/i]

What about in reverse, I went to a do where a band where playing that I used to play with, the guitarist then invited me to play a few tunes with them, which meant playing a very nice bass owned by their current bass player that Id never actually met before, I was fairly gone having been out all afternoon celebrating something else, and I felt awkward as I knew I was a little wobbly and could possible knock the bass and knew the bass player had no idea it was going to happen.

I've had stuff broken, and stuff nicked, as well as seeing some awful damage done to other peoples gear (broken guitars, damaged cymbals amps etc). In most cases, it ends up being the owner who is left with the hassle and bill.

As a result i avoid lending my gear as much as possible, i also avoid borrowing if i can. i would rather take all of my gear and take it on and off stage than risk breaking someone elses.

If someone i trust wants to borrow it fine, and if a bass player has made a genuine effort to arrange with me before hand i often do, but if someone shows up and expects to use my rig on the night they are told about the perfectly good DI

I do find it odd when people turn up to gigs without their instruments. This has happened at least 4 times to me, one time having another bassist telling me (not asking me) that he was using my gear including my bass. A curt "You ain't, pal" and he came back with "But you said we would be gear-sharing". In the end, his band told him do do one as this apparently happened fairly regularly to them.

Having watched a support bands bass player fall across a stage with my SWR 4x10 and bass head on casters following him across the stage as he fell, I'm not sure I'd bother again.

This band are very well known around Manchester and are signed etc; I'm good mates with 2/3 of them but they're infamous for borrowing gear, and it coming back covered in general muck. They just don't care about their gear (or anyone else's).

They're not metallers, punks or a rock act, they're like psychedelic flower pop, so I haven't a clue how they manage to twat gear so easily.

But, as I'm out of the gigging circles at the minute, I'd probably be on the 'no' side of the fence these days.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1378204421' post='2196904']
Ha ha, very well put!

[b]Yeah, rigs ought to be thought out so that they don't blow themselves up,[/b] I reckon even if the gain and volume are maxed with the bass up full, not that that should ever really be occurring. The thing I used to fix the most? The input jack. Some people have trouble plugging into an amp without yanking the socket out of place.
[/quote]

In the early Nineties I bought .....brand new ....a Trace Elliot 7515****222 (something or other i can't remember) combo .....!5" speaker ,many watts ...cost a bloody fortune ,was the first "new bit of kit I had ever bought.

I used it for three months,we were a "pub band" ,never turned it above "7"......long story short ...it stopped working ...went back under warranty...Trace refused to repair the blown speaker because "Ihad turned it up too loud" !!!!!...I asked "How the hell can you design a combo that can melt it's own speaker coil?"...They just refused to repair it...I ended up being given a Peavey TNT by the shop to replace it as they were embarrassed by the service from Trace.....The Peavey lasted me years!

Back on topic ...I loaned my rig out to a friend a couple of weeks back ...he loved it ...I was amazed at how good it sounded .....everybody happy!

I did have an incident in 1966 when my bass (Precision) packed in, it was the Starlight room in Londinium. One of the other bands lent me his bass, another P, left handed....... As grateful as I was confused it was hard going....

Still, don't do it..... Or if it breaks they pay or you pay depending on who's gear it is.