Why become a member? ×

stringing a fretted bass with flatwound strings

sprocketflup

I still do on mine - Stingray, Precisions, Mustang, Ampeg and I don't change 'em unless I'm really forced to when they don't hold tune anymore (and then I sulk and play with bacon fat covered fingers until the buggers sound like a bass and not a piano.) :ph34r:

For certain styles of music and certain styles of musicians , flats are very much in vogue at the moment . I've been thinking about getting some myself , and I am very much of the generation that believed the virtual extinction of flatwound bass strings was a mark of social progress , similar to the eradication of tuberculosis or the development effective hemmorhoid treatments . For thirty years they were the bass playing equivalent of flared trousers ( i.e most right - thinking folks thought they would never make a comeback ) but they have achieved the seemingly impossible and become trendy again . A lot depends on how you like to be heard in the mix - there is a reason why most bass players turned to using roundwounds , and that is primarily the amount of cut and prescence they give you . Before everybody jumps on me and tells me how flats can cut through just as much , I am just saying that flats give you a very different kind of balance in the overall sound that might not satisfy everybody .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370090064' post='2096344']
...there is a reason why most bass players turned to using roundwounds , and that is primarily the amount of cut and prescence they give you ...
[/quote]

And perhaps bass players hoped that greater 'presence' in the mix would mean more punters saying:

'Good Lord! I never realised bass players were so [i]important[/i]. I shall henceforth revise my opinion in respect of their miserable insignificance.'

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370090064' post='2096344']
For certain styles of music and certain styles of musicians , flats are very much in vogue at the moment . I've been thinking about getting some myself , and I am very much of the generation that believed the virtual extinction of flatwound bass strings was a mark of social progress . For thirty years they were the bass playing equivalent of flared trousers ( i.e most right - thinking folks thought they would never make a comeback ) but they have achieved the seemingly impossible and become trendy again .
[/quote]

First time I have ever heard the words "in vogue", "social progress" and "trendy" being used in association with flats. :D :P

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1370090748' post='2096352']
And perhaps bass players hoped that greater 'presence' in the mix would mean more punters saying:

'Good Lord! I never realised bass players were so [i]important[/i]. I shall henceforth revise my opinion in respect of their miserable insignificance.'
[/quote]

Yes ! That's what did happen - kind of . The prominent role that the bass guitar enjoyed in a lot of popular music from the mid - Seventies till the mid - Nineties couldn't and wouldn't have happened with flatwound strings .