Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

Naked admiration thread for no other reason than this hallowed portal allows me to do so.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjmOO7oRQT0[/media]
there are bits in this song that make me glad to enjoy and try and play the bass.

On a related note, I have a young man doing a gig in the school where I work who is playing and singing 'I don't need no doctor" this week. Privilege to accompany him.

Havin' a few beers and was searching thru some old music DVD's earlier, put on the Live Aid doovde and there he was with Mr Mullet himself, Paul Young...

Fast forward an hour or so, then The Who came on...Pino's an awesome, awesome player, but he cannae lace the Ox's boots in my opinion...to be fair, not many can...

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1364074496' post='2021735']
Havin' a few beers and was searching thru some old music DVD's earlier, put on the Live Aid doovde and there he was with Mr Mullet himself, Paul Young...

Fast forward an hour or so, then The Who came on...Pino's an awesome, awesome player, but he cannae lace the Ox's boots in my opinion...to be fair, not many can...
[/quote]

Never got Entwistle. It sounds good in context and all, but it never spoke to me. However Pino has such a "finesse",,, I don't know how to explain it. It appeals to me.
I would not say that one is better than the other, 'though. That's for end of year filler "list of 100 best players" in magazines ;)

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1364081472' post='2021841']
'Esus that was good, I then found myself following the youtube suggestions... John Mayer and bb king!
[/quote]

If that was the Hollywood Bowl performance,check out the finale where Mayer, (as good as he is) looks on in awe at Derek Trucks solo.

(sorry for the hijack :rolleyes: )

[Edit] Here

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0NHlWgi5w[/media]

OK I'll bite... for some controversy.

I think he's bland. I initially enjoyed his chorus fretless in the '80s (which was a pretty strong 'Jaco for masses' cloning) but it became over-worked. And I recall some Tube performances where he was sitting in - perhaps with Jools and he was terrible.

So what am I missing here with Pino - who does seem like a nice humble bloke when interviewed?

(Admitting a personal bias for bass lines that jump-out in some way - tone, notes, form... don't do meek bass.)

Edited by visog

Pino's work with John Mayer and Steve Jordan is fantastic - he never overplays, and his timing is absolutely on the button. Their version of I Got a Woman is a great example.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckfbOm84Qc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RckfbOm84Qc[/url]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1364078988' post='2021806']
Great player, totally wrong for The Who.[/quote]

To be fair to Pino, he wasn't chosen because he sounded like Entwhistle, he was chosen because he was available and had the skills and chops to learn an entire show with four days notice.

His fretless lines are inspirational and sublime. His motown inspired playing with Usher etc. is less inspirational for me. But you know, he's gotta earn a crust and fair play to him for being so versatile and making people take notice regardless of the genre.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364115512' post='2021948']
Never got Entwistle or his, IMO, terrible terrible tone.
[/quote]
It was right for The Who.
I've got a couple of tickets for the o2 gig this June and sitting on the Pino side. Kind of a 40th anniversary for me as my first gig was seeing the Who in 1973 at a very, very young age and being the reason why I wanted to play an instrument.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1364117315' post='2021967']
To be fair to Pino, he wasn't chosen because he sounded like Entwhistle, he was chosen because he was available and had the skills and chops to learn an entire show with four days notice.

His fretless lines are inspirational and sublime. His motown inspired playing with Usher etc. is less inspirational for me. But you know, he's gotta earn a crust and fair play to him for being so versatile and making people take notice regardless of the genre.
[/quote]

I think the heavily chorused 80s sound is a cross he has to bare. People forget he is a jobbing musician and although many think money is vulgar, you have to pay the bills!

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1364120409' post='2021994']
It was right for The Who.
I've got a couple of tickets for the o2 gig this June and sitting on the Pino side. Kind of a 40th anniversary for me as my first gig was seeing the Who in 1973 at a very, very young age and being the reason why I wanted to play an instrument.
[/quote]
Well, you're correct it was The Who with Entwistle and I too saw them with him several times in early 70s. However, when I saw them with Palladino a few years back I was much happier with the bass. YMMV.

I realise 99% of people will disagree with me.

Edited by EssentialTension

To me, Pino is always tasteful and sympathetic to whoever he plays with. Never overdoes it but comes out with some fabulous stuff at the same time. Apart from the dosh, I can't think of a single reason why he would want to be in The Who. There, I've said it. Also, check out Derek Trucks with Susan Tedeschi (Mrs. Trucks) in the Tedeschi Trucks Band or with Bela Fleck or Warren Haynes and Govt. Mule. I've never heard a slide player with so much expression. Fantastic.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364115512' post='2021948']
Never got Entwistle or his, IMO, terrible terrible tone.
[/quote]

Have to agree...... pretty much unlistenable on most levels..

but...the Who worked as a unit, somehow :lol: :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364121359' post='2022007']

Well, you're correct it was The Who with Entwistle and I too saw them with him several times in early 70s. However, when I saw them with Palladino a few years back I was much happier with the bass. YMMV.

I realise 99% of people will disagree with me.
[/quote]I absolutely love the sound JE got around the time of Quadrophenia, but the tone he had from the Buzzard and Ashdown rig was a nasty assault on my lug holes in later years.

Pino is probably my most favourite player of all, he does just what's needed. Being the bass player in The Who isn't about replacing JE, who would want to have to replicate every note he played in that unique style and then have the anoraks point out every mistake? Better to be your own man, and given Pino already had a fearsome reputation, why would you want to be someone else (unless your in a specific tribute band of course).

Back to the OT man himself, I was talking to some friends about how I've seen both Bakithi Kumalo and Alpnonso Johnson on TV recently recreating the lines they played on Graceland and Face Value respectively, their fretless intonation was woeful! However, when Pino was talking about the Wherever I Lay My Hat line and then playing it on the One Show (without any effects) it was spot on. His jazz stuff with PSP is a tour de force, yet more fretless (mostly).

Edited by ezbass

Pino is simply sublime, he's got groove, feel and appreciation for everything he does however for me, he's just not right in The Who, you can NEVER get close to John Entwistle for that style of music, tone and feel wise he'll trounce Pino in John's genre, Pino is without doubt the MUCH MUCH MUCH better bassist in an all round music environment apart from Rock.

Has anyone else thought that Pino also looks like he's one of those Aliens from Men in Black? Anyone else see what I'm seeing?