Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino...once again...how sh*t hot is he?

merello

A funny thing about Palladino is the way he plays... I'm always convinced that people play like their personality is.
If you're flamboyant you'll play like that; if you're a shy person it reflects in your playing, if you don't really listen to people irl then you won't on stage when someone else is doing their thing..
But Pino plays rather "busy" imo (but in a fabulous way) but it wouldn't match with the "you play like you are".
I talked to him twice and he is this really easygoing person while on stage he's someone who doesn't disappear in the shadows musically..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1390496267' post='2346054']
A funny thing about Palladino is the way he plays... I'm always convinced that people play like their personality is.
If you're flamboyant you'll play like that; if you're a shy person it reflects in your playing, if you don't really listen to people irl then you won't on stage when someone else is doing their thing..
But Pino plays rather "busy" imo (but in a fabulous way) but it wouldn't match with the "you play like you are".
I talked to him twice and he is this really easygoing person while on stage he's someone who doesn't disappear in the shadows musically..
[/quote]

His mild-mannered demeanour in person could be a little misleading, I would say. I interviewed him a number of years ago for an article in a music mag. He was very polite, forthcoming and pleasant to talk to, but he insisted on seeing the article before it was published, and asked for several changes to be made. That might well have been due to my poor journalism in part, but he's a very astute man, and much more aware of his profile than you might think from his public persona, and with good reason - any potential employer who was to read the piece might decide whether to hire him or not based on what he was reported to have said.

I'd class him as one of the finest bass players of his generation. He plays for the song, as well as adding great warmth and character to any performance, but his personality plays an important part in the equation. Wherever you're working, you want people around you who are not just great players, but good company. You really don't want to be trapped in a studio or a tour bus with someone who's a pain in the a*se, regardless of what they can do on their chosen instrument. Pino's show himself time and again to be a master of both.

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1379484597' post='2213117']

I hate it when that happens. I pulled into a petrol station behind Bruce Dickinson a few months ago and was reminded that I'm not a wealthy rock singer/world class fencer/airline pilot/author. Just one of those would be enough for most people, surely. He's just showing off.
[/quote]

He's a pretty hot fencer too.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1390466480' post='2345635']

Yeah, interesting. Didn't Mick also fall out with Kate Bush and Bill Nelson. Although I dont know the full story but its interesting that artists like Bush/Nelson/Numan would have provided Karn with the required amount of 'elbow room' to exploit his talents. Is Pino an easier going guy at the studio, is he willing to just give artists what they want and not what he wants to give them. Pino is great, he is one guy I would like to meet! He looks like the sort of guy you could 'prop up a bar with' not up his own arse like some. ([s]John Mayer[/s]) :ph34r: :)
[/quote]

Funnily enough Numan then fell out with Pino , which is why Joe Hubbard got the call for Numans warriors album.
Joe Hubbard says in an interview on Scott Devines bass site he fell out with Numan and ran into Pino and asked Pino why he recommended him to Numan "I didn't ,that's the last gig on earth I would've recommended you for "
Numan must be a tough guy to work for.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1390510137' post='2346308']
Funnily enough Numan then fell out with Pino , which is why Joe Hubbard got the call for Numans warriors album.
Joe Hubbard says in an interview on Scott Devines bass site he fell out with Numan and ran into Pino and asked Pino why he recommended him to Numan "I didn't ,that's the last gig on earth I would've recommended you for "
Numan must be a tough guy to work for.
[/quote]

Either that, or Pino and Joe Hubbard didn't get on.... ;)

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1390497682' post='2346081']
His mild-mannered demeanour in person could be a little misleading, I would say. [/quote]

Surely you can't be "really nice" all the time and survive in the business, or can you? I mean, the numbers are huge and for a jobbing musician maintaining standards is important. Perhaps some are more willing to compromise than others, but you would have to stand your ground at some point surely, even Pino?