Why become a member? ×

Mystery bassist - SOLVED!

wateroftyne

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1366294070' post='2050645']
That my friends is Simon Quinlank, the king of hobbies and it looks like that week, his hobby was playing bass.......

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xjcyyuDM0[/media]
[/quote]

So after 16 pages we actually get a match?! :lol: :o

• 3 months later...

Ah, yes, I see..hmph.

I am graciously honoured, and somewhat bemused at the comments that you have all made.

Yes, indeed, it's no longer a mystery, I admit it, its me..

I was hard up at the time, and was desperate for a new set of strings which bassist magazine gave as a reward for writing in. Id boiled my old Elites in water and vinagar and they were sh..ed. They did cock up the article and forgot to include my name, but after a couple of faxes they got it right, and I was duly rewarded with a couple of sets (5 string) of Rotosound strings.

Trace Elliot loved the article and gave me some goodies including a T shirt and a guitar strap that I still use. The bass was indeed a Bass Collection SB315, and I had replaced the pickups with the famous BassLines actiives...They sounded FAT. I still use the 1x18 bottom cab (it was custom made for me by Trace, and has been 100% reliable. (I have literally used it for hundreds of gigs). I still use the 4x5 bright box, but have replaced the 2x10 with a Trace 4x10.

I still gig regularly in and around the Coventry/Midlands areas, and yes, I am, [b]Fran Pettifer[/b].....(the waistcoat, sadly, was stolen at a gig), I've sold the Bass Collection, and now use a Yamaha TRB5p.

[quote name='Francis Pettifer' timestamp='1376873188' post='2180298']...Yes, indeed, it's no longer a mystery, I admit it, its me...[/quote]

Yay..! Result..! A living legend..! You [i]are [/i]Fran Pettifer, and I claim my £5..! Welcome...

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Francis Pettifer' timestamp='1376873188' post='2180298']
Ah, yes, I see..hmph.

I am graciously honoured, and somewhat bemused at the comments that you have all made.

Yes, indeed, it's no longer a mystery, I admit it, its me..

I was hard up at the time, and was desperate for a new set of strings which bassist magazine gave as a reward for writing in. Id boiled my old Elites in water and vinagar and they were sh..ed. They did cock up the article and forgot to include my name, but after a couple of faxes they got it right, and I was duly rewarded with a couple of sets (5 string) of Rotosound strings.

Trace Elliot loved the article and gave me some goodies including a T shirt and a guitar strap that I still use. The bass was indeed a Bass Collection SB315, and I had replaced the pickups with the famous BassLines actiives...They sounded FAT. I still use the 1x18 bottom cab (it was custom made for me by Trace, and has been 100% reliable. (I have literally used it for hundreds of gigs). I still use the 4x5 bright box, but have replaced the 2x10 with a Trace 4x10.

I still gig regularly in and around the Coventry/Midlands areas, and yes, I am, [b]Fran Pettifer[/b].....(the waistcoat, sadly, was stolen at a gig), I've sold the Bass Collection, and now use a Yamaha TRB5p.
[/quote]

You, sir, are a bloody legend. *doffs cap*

Why on earth didn't you get a namecheck in the article?

[quote name='Francis Pettifer' timestamp='1376873188' post='2180298']

[/quote]

Right. Next job. Lets find that waistcoat... or at least a like for like replacement.

Brill! :)
Welcome, Fran, and apologies for not having taken part in the thread earlier. I just [b]knew[/b] I unrecognised you from somewhere.

A virtual set of Rotosounds to Tedmanzie, who nailed it in february.

Enjoy your stay! Some of these people are less than bad.

bert

Edited by BassTractor

Look, ok, I admit it, like the long lost prodigal son, I have been found, and am most grateful for all of your searching, and as a mark of respect to you all,

I am only too happy to answer ANY questions that you may have concerning my past 16 or so years, indeed, any other topics may also be considered.

I can't, however, promise I'll respond every day, or that any of your prayers will be answered (as in Bruce Almighty) that would be silly, but I will do my best to communicate as frequently as possible.

'Keep the faith'

[quote name='Francis Pettifer' timestamp='1376933970' post='2181168']
I am only too happy to answer ANY questions that you may have concerning my past 16 or so years, indeed, any other topics may also be considered.
[/quote]

Oh... Me first!

Conservatories are too hot in summer and too cold in winter: Is this myth or fact?

Me next .

What kind of gigs are you doing that someone would [i] nick that waistcoat [/i] (!) ? That means you are playing in venues where the audience and/or staff are so economically and aesthetically deprived that they would covet a garment that ( no offence intended) looks like it was fashioned out of recycled offcuts of chamois leather and sold off at a discount in Matalan as part of their autumn 1993 Collection for people recently released on License . Were you doing a lot of gigs in the Humberside area , by any chance ? I know in Hull that look never really went out of fashion . There is probably a dodgy window cleaner out there somewhere still getting the benefit of your pilfered garment to this very day .

Edited by Dingus

WOW. I was surprised to see this thread get resurrected after all this time. Welcome aboard Fran. I had a lot of fun taking part in the thread, researching and taking the photo of a waist coated me in my sun room. It felt like a real celebration of 90's Bassist and our relentless search to find your identity. We probably need to get out more, but leave our waistcoats at home.